Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Public or Private what do you hunt most?

Started by MK M GOBL, March 02, 2016, 10:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

So don't know if this is a regional thing or not but just wondering what you hunt more of public or private ground?

For myself I hunt 90% Private ground on around 3,000 acres of prime turkey hunting land, I do tend to hunt public when I venture out of my home state of Wisconsin just because of ease of access, I do have a few out of state private spots to hunt but do so on a pretty limited basis.

MK M GOBL

WildTigerTrout

Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

JK Spurs

I like my turkey well peppered

Vaturkeyhntr

I have multiple private land places to hunt and do a lot, but I grew up hunting public land and still do it just for the fact that I know the land so well.

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Cottonmouth

All private for me, around 1500 acres to keep me busy all season.

alloutdoors

I hunt mostly on private, but none of my best spots are exclusive, most are open to anyone who stops and knocks on the farmers door. Some of them get hunted so heavy they look like public land in Florida, others I usually have pretty much to myself. All the common public land issues apply to the "private" land I hunt, guys stalking your calling, walking in on your setups even though they saw your car, bumping birds that your working, etc. On the plus side it's really good turkey country and most of the guys I bump into are the type that run around with whatever call Michael Waddell is pushing that year and couldn't call in a turkey if you locked them in a broom closet with one.

I do think some of it is regional. I've really enjoyed hunting some of the large well managed WMA's and National Forest lands in the southeast, sometimes I think some of you don't always realize how blessed you are to have such fantastic public ground available. In my immediate area most of the public land is the unwanted hilltop land that nobody could farm so it went to the state, and if it is state forest it is often pine monoculture. It largely goes unmanaged and frankly there just aren't many turkeys there, they are all down on the farmland in the valleys because they aren't stupid. Luckily though, turkey hunting isn't part of the culture up here in NY like it is in the south, so it's still relatively easy to get access to those farms. You'll be sharing it with anyone else who asks permission, but if you hunt harder and smarter than the other guys you'll do fine.

mote1977

beakbuster10

All private

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darn2ten

All private land now. Grew up hunting 100% public land in Florida. Those tough public land Osceola's will dang sure make you appreciate good private land.

bigbird

Mike Honcho

dejake

About half and half.  However, the private land is usually more crowded than the public, go figure.

perrytrails

90% public, its tough sometimes but Ive kept at it since the mid 80's.

Met some really nice people over the years, some not so nice. LOL!! :)