Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Public or Private what do you hunt most?

Started by MK M GOBL, March 02, 2016, 10:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

Public

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gamblinman

"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

tomstopper

callmakerman

Both. I learned to turkey hunt on state land and have taken some of my best birds there. My friends sister owns over a 100 acres where I've done very well.

Farmboy27

Pretty much the same as Alloutdoors for me too. Private owned but most of time the owners let anyone hunt. More pressure than a lot of our public lands. But I know the land better so I just try to deal with it.

Cut N Run

70% private and 30% public.
The private farms near my house are small (88 acres & 125 acres), but the surrounding properties get heavy hunting pressure. The public land several counties away is 6,000+ acres where I seldom hear or see another hunter.
Used one tag on private and one on public last Spring.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Double B

All public.......but I have some opportunities on private this year for a change.  We'll  see!
Followed by buzzards

buzzardroost

I'd say 50/50. I own 125 acres and have about 1000 more private acres I can hunt but I'm also surrounded by 140,000 acres of public land and really enjoy hunting those large tracts of woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maytom

Mostly private land, sort of a 70/30 split, but lately a lot of other hunters are hunting this "private" land as well. So now I would have to say mostly public. :gobble:

Spitten and drummen

I hunt both. my lease has 6 turkey hunters on 1300 acres. they hunt like I do , everyday they are not at work. so its got a lot of pressure. I will slip off into some hidden spots on public where I grew up hunting, and still do well. these places require a 2 or 3 mile walk to get to. usually I have it to myself being that far back.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Spring Creek Calls

Mostly private in my home state of Michigan.
All public in the other states which include Indiana, Ohio, Missouri, Kansas and South Dakota.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

backwater

Lefty

I have a decent amount of private land to hunt but its mostly smaller patches.  I hit those a lot for quick pre-work hunts.  I hunt a lot of public though and try to find the out of the way spots.  I usually kill more birds on public than I do private.