OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What different animals have you called in while turkey hunting?

Started by turkaholic, February 04, 2016, 06:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoors

LISTED SOME INTERESTING INCOUNTERS
                           ME
           YOTES @ OTHER HUNTERS
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Gobble!

OldSchool

I've called in some of the same critters as many of you, and unless I missed it, I've got a new one. Skunks! I seem to be a grand champion skunk caller. I've had a bunch of them at petting distances over the years, and It's amazing how still you can be when you have a skunk sniffing your pant leg. You don't dare blink, pray you don't cough, and hope it wanders off SOON.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

born2hunt

Quote from: OldSchool on February 05, 2016, 03:00:35 PM
I've called in some of the same critters as many of you, and unless I missed it, I've got a new one. Skunks! I seem to be a grand champion skunk caller. I've had a bunch of them at petting distances over the years, and It's amazing how still you can be when you have a skunk sniffing your pant leg. You don't dare blink, pray you don't cough, and hope it wanders off SOON.

Bob

I hear ya there,
Ive never had a critter, be it large or small have me as nervous as a skunk that walked under my chair just at daylight while deer hunting one morning. My daughter was beside me and I just knew he was gonna sniff her leg,she would scream and we would be skunked for sure but he eased off thank goodness. Made for a fun memory though.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

WildTigerTrout

Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

turkaholic

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on February 05, 2016, 10:33:02 PM
Last spring I called in a Fisher.
fishers are turkey eating machines. They can climb like a squirrel and kill turkeys on a limb while the beloved birds are sleeping. They also die as easy as a squirrel. Here in CT the state reintroduced them, I believe to keep turkey numbers in check and to repopulate the species. I also think it's working, unfortunately.
live to hunt hunt to live

loner

just an ole' retired man that still believes in values,and common courtesy.

OldSchool

Quote from: turkaholic on February 07, 2016, 08:31:10 AM
Quote from: WildTigerTrout on February 05, 2016, 10:33:02 PM
Last spring I called in a Fisher.
fishers are turkey eating machines. They can climb like a squirrel and kill turkeys on a limb while the beloved birds are sleeping. They also die as easy as a squirrel. Here in CT the state reintroduced them, I believe to keep turkey numbers in check and to repopulate the species. I also think it's working, unfortunately.

I've thought about that myself. Our turkey population has been going downhill here for several years and took a big nose dive last spring. To the point that if things aren't looking up this spring, I may not shoot a bird. We have a 2 bird limit here, and since I've noticed the decline, I've only been shooting one bird a year in hopes that it would help to some extent.

I haven't trapped anything but a few beaver in years, but there's a couple young guys just up the road from me that trap a little. They've caught 7 fisher in the past couple months. Not too long ago it was unheard of to see one here. I used to trap them up north, and they're killing machines for sure. like you said, our beloved birds aren't even safe from them on a tree branch. I wonder how much they're contributing to our low turkey numbers.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

jperch

Last spring I called in 5 different coyotes.  They were out of control on that particular property in NY.  I have also called in coons, deer, fox and I think some hawks. Luckily I have not called in other hunters yet, maybe I am not a good caller!   jperch

crow

had a red fox come strait in to 10' until I wiggled my foot
2 springs ago had a bear come stalking in until he winded us, ranged it at 31 yards after he left

a couple of weeks ago during the late season called a hunter in behind me to about 25 yards till I saw him, made him jump when I called out (also made me jump when I first seen him), I had been Kee Keeing on a mouth call.

Oconeeguy

Yotes, yayhoos & hawks. Had a jet black yote come directly to me within 15 yds a couple years ago.

hs strut

ive called in my share of yotes only a few lived to tell the tale. ive also called in poachers the law took care of that problem. ive also called in cows which seem to really like turkey calls. i had problems with the owner taking responsibility for his cows i again got this took care of quickly.
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

hunter22

Coyotes, bobcats, and people. Last spring I had a herd of bull elk all around me when I pulled the trigger on the mountain Merriam I killed in Colorado.

nativeks

First year Dad and I had no idea what we were doing. Called in a rooster pheasant and pheasants are rare in this part of KS.