Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What different animals have you called in while turkey hunting?

Started by turkaholic, February 04, 2016, 06:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgm1955

Quote from: SinGin on February 04, 2016, 09:53:44 AM
Every once and a while I get lucky and actually call in a gobbler, but that doesn't happen as much as I think it should.
:TooFunny: :TooFunny:

renegade19

Coyotes (now dead), bobcats (once 2 together).  My buddy owl hoots so good we've had them follow us around quite a few times.

Ozark870Hunter

After using a hootin' stick one predawn, I had an owl pearch over my set-up, and after 10 mins, swooped down and hit my decoy.
United Front Armory
Custom built firearms
Top quality cerakote applications
https://www.facebook.com/UnitedFrontArmory/

Rio Fan

born2hunt

Had a bobcat get way to close once before he realized that I wasn't a turkey. Now I use a crow call very little due to having a whole flock sworm my setup and make hearing a gobbler impossible. This happened twice and took a  good while for them to move on.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

tomstopper

Quote from: SinGin on February 04, 2016, 09:53:44 AM
Every once and a while I get lucky and actually call in a gobbler, but that doesn't happen as much as I think it should.
Definitely this but also: hunters, coyotes, and bobcats (other animals that I have encountered and not necessarily due to my calling, have been cows, deer, bear, raccoons, skunks, porcupines, opossums, and one owl who was on a branch in the tree across from me and kept his eyes on me for several minutes. That was very neat).

g8rvet

One fox, several coyotes.  Also had an encounter with a possum in the swamp. 2 of them were fighting and one was in a pizzed off mood.  They were standing on the only piece of dry ground around.  Tossed a stick at them and one high tailed it. The other decided to run through me.  He didn't. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

TrackeySauresRex

Opossums,Raccoons,Coyotes a couple of times looking for a meal. Deer sniffing the Derek's. Here's the good one,Once a box turtle crossed my path  :blob10: Lololl!
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

jblackburn

Cows.

Cows are apparently very curious to turkeys sounds and very confused when the turkeys (decoys) don't run away
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

jepcho

Definitely called in cows as well. Also coyotes, foxes, a bobcat, some deer. And nothing else comes to mind right now

jwhunter

2008 afternoon hunt I was napping on a green field. Woke up to several hens Bugging in my field. i had a golden eagle swoop down and try and catch one of the hens, she ducked under a fallen brush top of a big tree. Then during the fall a friend of mine was deer hunting that same field and we had not talked about my eagle encounter. He told me a huge eagle swooped down and caught a turkey on his field and flew off with it.. I thought it could of been a immature bald eagle but it was huge and the more I think about it I'm pretty sure it was a golden eagle.

2 springs ago my dad and I were hunting together. He was sitting behind me filming. We were sitting in a log pile in some new clear cut timber. I was working a bird and A bobcat snuck up on us and pounced on my dads boot. No crap!!!!  Still has the claw marks on his leather snake boots and shows it off lol

turkeywhisperer935

Two of the bobcat stories in this thread are wild. I would probably crap myself if one stalked me, brushed my hip or pounced on my boots. Any how, I've called up deer, cows, coyotes and other hunters. The deer are usually young and stay there and stare at me a while before bounding off blowing and  scaring everything in the woods.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Tail Feathers

I've called up a coyote, a bobcat and a cow elk.
I was in TN when I heard the cow elk behind me. 
I used a mouthcall to duplicate her "mewing" and she came within 40 yards or so behind me.
I told a buddy about it and he went to the same spot the next day and called up a young bull elk.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

chcltlabz

Here's my only unique story to add.  A peacock.

I was working a bird and from the direction he was coming I see just the back of a bird sneaking down the edge of the field.  I was getting pretty fired up at the size of this bird until he came in clear view.  Would have made one hell of a fan mount.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.