OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Missjudged range, TOM still on the ground thanks to LB_XR!!!

Started by vpsalin, May 04, 2015, 07:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vpsalin

My first time hunting with a scope on my shotgun and when a TOM entered my area I was very exited. I wasn't even able to spot his beard because a fallen tree was blocking my view  :OGani:, but I cranked the zoom on the scope as high as it goes, all the way to 5x, and by the look of the TOM's head I was able to confirm that it was indeed a male.

In all the excitement, It didn't even enter my mind to estimate his range, I just placed the crosshair on his head and pulled the trigger. He looked 'close' through the scope lollllllll.

Well after the shot I get up and run to 40yards in front of me. To my surprise no bird is in sight, I start getting worried...did I miss??? No bird flopping noises anywhere either. I keep moving forward and extra 20 yards slowly and after a tense 30 seconds of searching I finally spot him. He never even flopped around BANG DEAD dropped right there. He had multiple hits to the head (3-4), 1 to the beak, and multiple hits to the neck. He was bleeding from everywhere.

I went back to the same spot the next day to hunt again for tag#2 and to laser verify the range of the shot. 67yards!!! Just as the publicity advertises! Incredible this long beard ammo.

I don't recommend shooting birds this far, but the LB_#5 was able to compensate for the my misjudgement of range. Very forgiving ammo this is!

Leason learned from 2014 season = use a scope
Leason learned from 2015 season = use LB and respect #5 size lead shot...wowwwwwwwww

On a side note; there's lots of talk about turkey scopes, but the one I use, Bushnell Legend HD 1.75-5 never gets mentionned. It's affordable around 200$, designed for shotguns, uses ED prime glass and it's crystal clear. I would put it up against a leupold any day! Give it a try if you can.

1966 870_WM / 20'' Deer RS / IC .665 / SHURSHOT / 1.75-5x32 Legend HD / LB_XR_3''_#5

Excalibur Micro335 RT / Nikon Bolt XR / Luminok Quills / CX Torrid SS 85GR w.Adders

Excalibur Grizzly305 MO / Deadzone / Luminok Quills / CX Torrid SS 85GR w.Adders

gobblerman87

Awesome glad you got one that ammo is definately awesome have heard hits up to 70 yard with that longbeard xr

snapper1982

Quote from: yelpaholic on May 04, 2015, 07:40:53 AM
:TrainWreck1:

X2 not to mention the not verifying of a beard. I don't know what state you are in but most states require a bearded bird don't they? Even a tom sometimes is missing his beard. Not saying yours don't have a beard but if you don't verify and it has no beard then you could end up with a fine.   :TrainWreck1: :TrainWreck1: :TrainWreck1:

WV TURKEY THUG

congrts glad you got him we all make a mistake every now and then.

g8rvet

You misjudged 67 yards?  How far did you think it was?  55?   :funnyturkey:
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

silvestris

You were only 22 yards short of the world record 89 yard (measured) kill by Ralph Winger from Columbia, Missouri.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

vpsalin

1966 870_WM / 20'' Deer RS / IC .665 / SHURSHOT / 1.75-5x32 Legend HD / LB_XR_3''_#5

Excalibur Micro335 RT / Nikon Bolt XR / Luminok Quills / CX Torrid SS 85GR w.Adders

Excalibur Grizzly305 MO / Deadzone / Luminok Quills / CX Torrid SS 85GR w.Adders

IowaGobblers

:TrainWreck1:
This is not going to last long.  Just a question, are you in any way affiliated with Winchester? 15 yards is quite a misjudgment let alone almost double that,  27 yards is a large misjudgement of distance. I'm glad it turned out the way it did for you.

WildTigerTrout

Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

BowBendr

I thought we didn't speak of this on OG......

Sent by this stupid phone

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

stinkpickle

Quote from: g8rvet on May 04, 2015, 02:25:51 PM
You misjudged 67 yards?  How far did you think it was?  55?   :funnyturkey:

I shoot all my birds at 40 yards...give or take 30 yards.   :TooFunny:

BABS9

If you misjudge that bad you probably shouldn't be turkey hunting....

Cutt

Didn't understand the reason for the original post? As most do no advocate long shots to begin with, but a long shot that was mis ranged would be acceptable?