OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Missjudged range, TOM still on the ground thanks to LB_XR!!!

Started by vpsalin, May 04, 2015, 07:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooksfan

Quote from: snapper1982 on May 13, 2015, 04:27:08 PM
Quote from: Hooksfan on May 13, 2015, 11:58:43 AM
Quote from: snapper1982 on May 04, 2015, 08:38:24 AM
Quote from: yelpaholic on May 04, 2015, 07:40:53 AM
:TrainWreck1:

X2 not to mention the not verifying of a beard. I don't know what state you are in but most states require a bearded bird don't they? Even a tom sometimes is missing his beard. Not saying yours don't have a beard but if you don't verify and it has no beard then you could end up with a fine.   :TrainWreck1: :TrainWreck1: :TrainWreck1:

I won't comment on the distance the shot was made, but I will say that I have pulled the trigger many, many times at toms that I never saw a beard on.  Even killed one with 1.5" spurs that had no trace of a beard whatsoever.  Killed alot of others with beard rot.  Most states I am aware of, the regs read a male turkey OR bearded bird.  I would fight any ticket for shooting a non-bearded gobbler and I would bet I would win.
Perhaps, if you can't tell the difference between a tom and a hen without seeing a beard, you shouldn't be turkey hunting......

In ohio you would loose! In Mississippi if it was a jake you would loose. The law is the law and you sir are not above it.

If the comment about not being able to tell the difference was ment toward me you are sadly mistaken. I don't need to see a beard nor do I need to see a head to tell the difference but I do need to see a beard and no matter the state will always make sure it has one to make sure I don't have to worry about fighting a ticket!
Easy there, I was not directing that towards you in the slightest. I am glad you know the difference between a tom and a hen. Guess I just don't like seeing a fella excited about his kill get drug over the coals with highbrowed comments. I am fully aware of the Jake rule in Mississippi- I grew up hunting there. I also know the rule is fairly popular and also doesn't apply to yourhs.
I will stand by what I said when I said MOST states Stipulate a male or bearded bird.
I also say requiring a beard is a stupid rule--That's just my opinion--not a belief that I am above the law. Trust me, I am reminded of that periodically when I see flashing lights in my rearview.
I suppose if our foubding father's held such a high regard for the law, we would still be saluting the Union Jack.
Now, back to the original post, I do not condone shooting turkeys at that yardage, but I would rather see a guy admitting to making a mistake, as we all have, and  posting something others can learn from.
I do believe a range finder would be in order for our friend.
But, all turkey hunts don't go down the way they do on t.v., and fellow hunters areally often too quick to pile on. :z-twocents:

snapper1982

Quote from: Hooksfan on May 13, 2015, 07:06:52 PM
Quote from: snapper1982 on May 13, 2015, 04:27:08 PM
Quote from: Hooksfan on May 13, 2015, 11:58:43 AM
Quote from: snapper1982 on May 04, 2015, 08:38:24 AM
Quote from: yelpaholic on May 04, 2015, 07:40:53 AM
:TrainWreck1:

X2 not to mention the not verifying of a beard. I don't know what state you are in but most states require a bearded bird don't they? Even a tom sometimes is missing his beard. Not saying yours don't have a beard but if you don't verify and it has no beard then you could end up with a fine.   :TrainWreck1: :TrainWreck1: :TrainWreck1:

I won't comment on the distance the shot was made, but I will say that I have pulled the trigger many, many times at toms that I never saw a beard on.  Even killed one with 1.5" spurs that had no trace of a beard whatsoever.  Killed alot of others with beard rot.  Most states I am aware of, the regs read a male turkey OR bearded bird.  I would fight any ticket for shooting a non-bearded gobbler and I would bet I would win.
Perhaps, if you can't tell the difference between a tom and a hen without seeing a beard, you shouldn't be turkey hunting......

In ohio you would loose! In Mississippi if it was a jake you would loose. The law is the law and you sir are not above it.

If the comment about not being able to tell the difference was ment toward me you are sadly mistaken. I don't need to see a beard nor do I need to see a head to tell the difference but I do need to see a beard and no matter the state will always make sure it has one to make sure I don't have to worry about fighting a ticket!
Easy there, I was not directing that towards you in the slightest. I am glad you know the difference between a tom and a hen. Guess I just don't like seeing a fella excited about his kill get drug over the coals with highbrowed comments. I am fully aware of the Jake rule in Mississippi- I grew up hunting there. I also know the rule is fairly popular and also doesn't apply to yourhs.
I will stand by what I said when I said MOST states Stipulate a male or bearded bird.
I also say requiring a beard is a stupid rule--That's just my opinion--not a belief that I am above the law. Trust me, I am reminded of that periodically when I see flashing lights in my rearview.
I suppose if our foubding father's held such a high regard for the law, we would still be saluting the Union Jack.
Now, back to the original post, I do not condone shooting turkeys at that yardage, but I would rather see a guy admitting to making a mistake, as we all have, and  posting something others can learn from.
I do believe a range finder would be in order for our friend.
But, all turkey hunts don't go down the way they do on t.v., and fellow hunters areally often too quick to pile on. :z-twocents:

My apologies. I actually like the bearded bird policy instead of male because I have talked to and read posts from people who can not tell the difference in a lot of instances. Mis judgements happen but 30 yards is more than a slight error. I am glad the bird went down but at that distance it easily could go the other way. Just because he killed doesn't mean that his setup can do that distance 100 percent of the time it means that at least 1 pellet landed in the brain or spine.

Hooksfan

No problems,man. And yes, 30 yards is a mega miscalculation. Maybe he is from Texas... ;D

sixbird

Congrats...Range underestimation can happen. Saw it happen to an experienced friend of mine. The yardage was WAY long.
Indiscretion forgiven but don't count on a happy ending at those yardages...This is how you wound birds. Does nobody any good...

owlhoot

Sounds like a sales pitch or promotion to me but if not congrats and don't count on good kills at that range with any shotgun or load, practice that range estimation!

jperch

As a life long bow hunter I think my range estimation skills are pretty fair.  I am sure that most turkey hunters plan ahead when they are hunting in the woods, as I do.  There is a tree which is 30 yards from me, there is another which is 40 yards, etc.  Open fields can be challenging.  For me depth perception changes when I am low to the ground.  In an established blind on a field edge I sometimes pile a couple of rocks on top of each other at predetermined ranges.  Another trick that helps me is to learn what parts of a turkey my own eyes can clearly see at certain fixed ranges.  I practice this with a life sized decoy.  For example, for me, if I can clearly see a gobbler's eyes he is in range.  It is something you must learn for your own vision!   jperch

davisd9

Quote from: jperch on June 16, 2015, 08:56:01 AM
As a life long bow hunter I think my range estimation skills are pretty fair.  I am sure that most turkey hunters plan ahead when they are hunting in the woods, as I do.  There is a tree which is 30 yards from me, there is another which is 40 yards, etc.  Open fields can be challenging.  For me depth perception changes when I am low to the ground.  In an established blind on a field edge I sometimes pile a couple of rocks on top of each other at predetermined ranges.  Another trick that helps me is to learn what parts of a turkey my own eyes can clearly see at certain fixed ranges.  I practice this with a life sized decoy.  For example, for me, if I can clearly see a gobbler's eyes he is in range.  It is something you must learn for your own vision!   jperch

I am not a bow hunter, but this is great advice and much of what I do.  Many times as I set up on an open field I quickly mark distances with a stick or something.  I also carry a rangefinder to mentally mark things, such as that high corn stock or spot of grass, in case I have to set up quickly and do not have time to walk into the field or if they are there and do not want to spook them.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Onpoint

Quote from: jperch on June 16, 2015, 08:56:01 AM
Good post

I do pretty good myself. And I owe that to archery. I have been bow hunting since I was 9 and I'm now 30.

Fields it can be very easy to misjudge yardage. I misjudged a 140" buck 4 or 5 years ago in a bean field. Went right over his back. I shoot a single pin slider and I keep it l set at 25. I'm shooting 313 fps so I don't move the sight unless I'm taking a 37 yard shot or longer. I thought thus deer was around 30 yards but I know I often think they're closed 5 Han 2 hat they are in an open field.  So I thought "in all reality he's probably closer to 40. I didn't move my sight, I just held a little high on him. Sailed right over his back. He was 32 yards. I invested in a range finder within 2 weeks of that day.

I really like the idea you had abo it learning "your" eyes and a characteristic of the bird you can clearly see to let u know he's in range. I very rarely fudge up when I comes to range but ya never know. Anything can happen at any time. We all have our DA moments from time to time.

My biggest issue with yardage is not turkeys, it is when I'm over 20 feet up. I have one stand that is 34 feet up. The higher up I get, the harder it is for me to judge yardage

dejake

davisd9

I hunt with a 4x scope and never had an issue because of the scope.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

dejake

I assume that would be because you're experienced, and know what you're doing.

davisd9

Quote from: dejake on June 16, 2015, 10:36:16 AM
I assume that would be because you're experienced, and know what you're doing.

Ahh man, thanks for jinxing me!  :o  ;)

Dr Juice

Farmboy27

If  the bird was coming in, then why crank the scope to max.  If you cant tell a gobbler head from a hen with naked eye at that range, then quit hunting and start studying.  If birds didn't flop just because of 3-4 shot in the head then hardly any of mine would have ever flopped.  And the worst, if this is true, yet another person who took the long range Kool-Aid and thinks that they will be able to do it every time.  some times I think all turkey(and bow) hunters should take a mandatory range estimation class!!