OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Missjudged range, TOM still on the ground thanks to LB_XR!!!

Started by vpsalin, May 04, 2015, 07:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

NFW

Leave the guy alone, he was just saying how good long beard is and saved him on this one and was just stating how shocked he was. If you've been hunting long enough you can misjudge in the moment and if you know you can kill a bird that far with your set up which not all ppl can, but you can, why not.

Here's a pure case stone cold dead at 67, another 9 of out 10 times bet his set up will produce the same results. Sorry for the folks that can't do this. And I don't urge everyone to do so. Winchester and other manufacters wouldn't advertise this stuff saying you can go out so far if it couldn't. They've been in the feild and killed em out there. There's not a fall off a 40yd, "sorry guys that big bird you've been hunting all season is at 43yars no way you can kill him gotta let him pass" is just not real and you'd be lying to yourself if you actually thought that. So it's only down to your set up if you can't kill them that far out. It's your responsibility of knowing if it can. If your gun doesn't have the ability that's it you can't done and over with. And base of this is saying know your equipments ability.

On that note good job man and congrats on the bird.

BowBendr

Why is it that nobody reads the forum rules before they start posting ? The OP didn't say one thing about being sure that his gun would kill at 67 yds, 9 out of 10 times....
This website belongs to someone that kindly ask' us not to promote ultra-long range shooting. That's all he ask....that and to be civil. But for some odd reason all of that has flown out the window since the invention of the LongBeard shell......

Sent by this stupid phone

IowaGobblers

Quote from: NFW on May 06, 2015, 01:19:16 PM
Leave the guy alone, he was just saying how good long beard is and saved him on this one and was just stating how shocked he was. If you've been hunting long enough you can misjudge in the moment and if you know you can kill a bird that far with your set up which not all ppl can, but you can, why not.

Here's a pure case stone cold dead at 67, another 9 of out 10 times bet his set up will produce the same results. Sorry for the folks that can't do this. And I don't urge everyone to do so. Winchester and other manufacters wouldn't advertise this stuff saying you can go out so far if it couldn't. They've been in the feild and killed em out there. There's not a fall off a 40yd, "sorry guys that big bird you've been hunting all season is at 43yars no way you can kill him gotta let him pass" is just not real and you'd be lying to yourself if you actually thought that. So it's only down to your set up if you can't kill them that far out. It's your responsibility of knowing if it can. If your gun doesn't have the ability that's it you can't done and over with. And base of this is saying know your equipments ability.

On that note good job man and congrats on the bird.

First of all, yes,misjudging distance can happen, but 30 yards should not happen.

Second, this statement is, in my opinion as well as others I believe, is highly naive and incorrect. That's the point of advertisement. Not sure if you have seen it or not, but a few sections down in the pattern area, Hornady's shell is up. The picture, from their website, shows a pattern with less than the "100 hits in the 10" at 25 yards yet claim that it is good to 50. Also, if you ever look on a box of say, Hevishot waterfowl, it shows images of the "supposed" range stating that it can kill out to 80-90 yards, which is again, untrue. The main point of advertising is to get you to buy a product, and they will say anything to do so.

Lastly, as Bow said, we mainly do not want to promote long range shooting as it will end up with more injured and unrecovered birds by people who do not put in the effort to pattern their set-up and just believe the manufacture's advertisements that this shell will kill to 70 yards no problem. Also, no one is saying they will not shoot at 43, it is, again, just to promote limiting yourself to an ethical range, hence approximately 40 yards. This is all seen in the rules of the forum. As Bow also said, the op did not know his set up would kill "9-10" times at this range.

silvestris

Whatever happened to learning to call.  I have let more walk than I can count at the maybe range and hope to have a few more humble me before I am through.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

NFW

I don't want to poke a fire, but I felt like I got the point across to not promote long range shots, but only if you have the ability in this case he happened to, and if you don't you cant. Sorry for not trying to clarify it more. I agree it doesn't help anyone for irresponsible shooters to think that just because they have a this shell they can shoot 70 yards, but like I said that's all on the hunter being responsible and knowing his equipment.

Advertisement can blow a lot of smoke places where the sun don't shine, but once you see other ppl or even for yourself the way new shells today and have a somewhat guideline you can somewhat trust it but I should add you need to find out for yourself.

Also this guy is just telling us a good story about the success he's had this season, and everybody just want to hop on him for one thing, just say good job, obvious one person stated yes it was a far shot ok he gets it.

I don't mean any disrespect to anyone or the former rules, he could have prevented this, but now he knows, no reason at beating a dead horse.

jblackburn

:deadhorse:

Somethings just don't need to be put on OG, or just lie and say it was 40!   :funny turkey:

Every turkey I have shot has been exactly 40 yards or closer, except when they weren't.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Hooksfan

Quote from: snapper1982 on May 04, 2015, 08:38:24 AM
Quote from: yelpaholic on May 04, 2015, 07:40:53 AM
:TrainWreck1:

X2 not to mention the not verifying of a beard. I don't know what state you are in but most states require a bearded bird don't they? Even a tom sometimes is missing his beard. Not saying yours don't have a beard but if you don't verify and it has no beard then you could end up with a fine.   :TrainWreck1: :TrainWreck1: :TrainWreck1:

I won't comment on the distance the shot was made, but I will say that I have pulled the trigger many, many times at toms that I never saw a beard on.  Even killed one with 1.5" spurs that had no trace of a beard whatsoever.  Killed alot of others with beard rot.  Most states I am aware of, the regs read a male turkey OR bearded bird.  I would fight any ticket for shooting a non-bearded gobbler and I would bet I would win.
Perhaps, if you can't tell the difference between a tom and a hen without seeing a beard, you shouldn't be turkey hunting......

jblackburn

Quote from: Hooksfan on May 13, 2015, 11:58:43 AM

X2 not to mention the not verifying of a beard. I don't know what state you are in but most states require a bearded bird don't they? Even a tom sometimes is missing his beard. Not saying yours don't have a beard but if you don't verify and it has no beard then you could end up with a fine.   :TrainWreck1: :TrainWreck1: :TrainWreck1:

I won't comment on the distance the shot was made, but I will say that I have pulled the trigger many, many times at toms that I never saw a beard on.  Even killed one with 1.5" spurs that had no trace of a beard whatsoever.  Killed alot of others with beard rot.  Most states I am aware of, the regs read a male turkey OR bearded bird.  I would fight any ticket for shooting a non-bearded gobbler and I would bet I would win.
Perhaps, if you can't tell the difference between a tom and a hen without seeing a beard, you shouldn't be turkey hunting......

There is at least one state with a beard length regulation, offhand I cannot remember what state.  I'm thinking Arkansas or Mississippi.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Hooksfan

Must be Mississippi.  They have a no jakes policy.  Pretty dumb reg and I would still say a fella could beat a ticket on a beardless mature bird.

rosharb

In Mich. it is illegal to take or possess a bird without a beard.

silvestris

Quote from: Hooksfan on May 13, 2015, 01:13:47 PM
Must be Mississippi.  They have a no jakes policy.  Pretty dumb reg and I would still say a fella could beat a ticket on a beardless mature bird.

Most hunters in Mississippi are quite pleased with the no-jake rule.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

snapper1982

Quote from: Hooksfan on May 13, 2015, 11:58:43 AM

In ohio you would loose! In Mississippi if it was a jake you would loose. The law is the law and you sir are not above it.

If the comment about not being able to tell the difference was ment toward me you are sadly mistaken. I don't need to see a beard nor do I need to see a head to tell the difference but I do need to see a beard and no matter the state will always make sure it has one to make sure I don't have to worry about fighting a ticket!

WV TURKEY THUG

what happens if somehow you mange to shoot the beard off then what do you do?

snapper1982

It had a beard when you shot it so you are fine and would be able to fight it if a warden did ticket you(which I don't know one that would). You would be able to prove it with the beard strands on the ground that would match DNA.