Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do you prefer to hunt turkeys with a partner or by yourself?

Started by Marc, March 06, 2015, 03:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you prefer to turkey hunt by yourself or with a partner?

I enjoy hunting with a partner more than by myself.
I prefer to hunt by myself.
I like to mix it up (sometimes alone, sometimes with a partner).

Marc

I generally hunt for turkeys by myself...

I will sometimes take someone who wants the experience of turkey hunting, but I am doing the calling, and they are doing the shooting... (I'll be taking my new brother-in-law out on the opener this season).

Duck hunting I have obligations and friends to take, and I enjoy that experience, as generally, both of us get plenty of shooting, although I still enjoy and appreciate time in the field by myself...  But with turkey hunting, and limited birds and access, it is likely only one person will take a bird (at least where I hunt)...

I suppose in general, that turkey hunting is one of my guilty, selfish pleasures, that I enjoy doing by myself.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

trackerbucky

I much prefer to call for someone else.  That way I still have my tags so I get to keep hunting.  :z-guntootsmiley:

Unfortunately my son is in the merchant marine and will be away this season, so I'm down one reliable hunting buddy.
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

ridgerunner

It's more fun to hunt with someone, but more productive by myself..I prefer hunting with someone...but if the going get's tough...I'm flying solo.

Tennessee Lead

I'm a loaner lol. I enjoy hunting with my Dad but don't get to much.

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

Jwall

I always hunt opening weekend with my cousin. We started learning to hunt turkeys together and the first time out we doubled up. We should have last year but someone fell asleep(him). It has become a tradition that we both really enjoy. The rest of the season we usually hunt alone and I tend to be up a few birds on him.

Spurs

I have never had a turkey called in for me, but I have called some in for friends.  I just prefer to go for my birds by myself.
This year is going to suck!!!

porcupine

By myself for mine ...but it is loads of fun helping others learn the roaps and get them their birds :dancingturkey:

Gobble!

Quote from: porcupine on March 06, 2015, 03:55:44 PM
By myself for mine ...but it is loads of fun helping others learn the roaps and get them their birds :dancingturkey:

:agreed:
Wish I could create a clone of myself to help me double team my bird

GobbleNut

I often hunt alone, but if I am hunting with another competent hunter and caller or two, I know that our chances are going to improve by working a bird with multiple callers.  You cannot achieve the same realism in calling and spacing with a single caller that you can with more. 

In my opinion, people that hunt together and do not learn to use both (or more) hunters as callers are making a big mistake.  In any gobblers eyes, two or three willing hens in the distance is better than one!  You get two or three guys that know how to hunt and call together and that combination can be deadly.

The only problem with multiple hunters is that often, only a single one will be the shooter, which means the group has to get on multiple gobblers or one or more will sacrifice the shooting opportunity for that day outing.  ....A good time to have one acting as the cameraman, though.

Gooserbat

Depends on the person.  I enjoy hunting with my Dad And my son, as well as a few close friends. There are some who I don't enjoy so much.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Mike Honcho

Love to hunt with my grandsons when I can....they live 4 hours from me.  Mostly by myself, I enjoy hunting alone , I' m a bowhunter  for deer so used to it.

Unfortunately with competition for hunting ground so intense that's another reason I'm solo and tight lipped.

Big Guy

I usually go by myself, but I take just as much pleasure if not more helping someone else get a bird.  Every once in awhile I will go out with the friend who got me into turkey hunting in the first place, which is always a great time.  Usually pick up a nugget or two of knowledge when I'm out with him as well.

jblackburn

I learned a long time ago that I have friends, hunting friends, and turkey hunting friends. I have some good friends that I don't enjoy turkey hunting with.  I really enjoy calling in birds for others, especially newbies.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

reynolds243

Quote from: ridgerunner on March 06, 2015, 03:44:03 PM
It's more fun to hunt with someone, but more productive by myself..I prefer hunting with someone...but if the going get's tough...I'm flying solo.

could not have typed it any better for myself. Feel the same exact way

Snoodsniper

Doesn't matter. I just like to be out there. If I'm hunting with someone they better be willing to hunt hard. Nothing makes my blood boil more than a lazy hunter.