OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Say it aint so!

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 03, 2015, 07:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

Today, a guy at work tried to tell me that #6 would not kill a bird past 40 yards. I am new to this sport, but that doesn't seem right to me. Now, I know the further out you shoot, the less likely it is to kill a turkey, but I find it hard to believe that Win LB 3" #6 will not kill a turkey at 50 yards. Maybe I am wrong, but that just didn't sound right to me.

vaturkey

Ya better not talk about shots over 40 yards cause you're gonna get put in TIMEOUT !
Vaturkey

WV Ridge Reaper

Lordy Lordy we can't talk about over 40 here!!!

But just to let you know your 100 percent right,I won't say how I know.

bbcoach

Go back and tell him #7 Hevi's and #9 TSS will kill turkeys at 40 yards and see what his reaction is?

DirtNap647

I gotta admit this no talk past 40 is for the birds man times change equipment gets better and better but as hunters we are still suppose to not shoot at 41 yds...? just don't understand this whole aspect if you don't want to talk about or shoot past 40 then why not move on and don't reply

obro

Several years ago they would talk about an individual pellets ability (ke) to break bone or kill a bird at a given distance . A number 6 lead pellet ( not heavy or tss) at the normal fps would lose that ke around the 40 yard mark . I'm not for or against the theory but it may be what he is referring to .

budtripp

I know for a fact (as I was watching) that a #6 lead pellet will penetrate a birds skull/vertabrae from 46 yards.  Actually, there were multiple ones that did so.  :funnyturkey:  And these were even the slower Winny xx loads.

BowBendr

The reason we try and not talk of shooting past 40 around here is because we are trying to diffuse what a lot of ammo companies are doing by making ridiculous claims of long range performance. Equipment may be getting slightly better, but that's not to say that hunters are...

You can see that traffic has picked up a lot here on OG now that bird season is coming. You can tell by people's post that many of them are new to the sport of hunting. They read the packaging on shells, believe every line of it and then want to tell everybody they've got a 60 yd gun. Then go out and cripple birds. We are trying to help stop some of that.

But the number 1 reason we don't do it is because this is somebody else's website. He owns it and that's the way he wants it. He lets us be here so we try and respect that 1 wish.

Sent from Gobblers Knob, NC

Twowithone

Ive never had to shoot 40 yds but I'm sure my Winchester l/beards will perform quite well at 40 yds. I like my shots up close and personal where I can see him blink his eyelid. :OGturkeyhead:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

DirtNap647

since no one here shoots past 40 yds how do we know the shell companies  are not right then...
do you really think guys are buying $7 a piece shells to shoot 30yards....

deerbasshunter3

I am not saying that I intend to shoot a turkey past 40 yards, but I do not believe that once a #6 pellet reaches 40 yards, it immediately slows down and is no longer lethal. Now at 50 yards, maybe.

Take everything that I believe about this subject with a grain of salt because I am just now learning about all of this. Three months ago, I could not even tell you what #4, #5, or #6 even meant.

The guy that I was talking to at work said that I would probably be good at 40 with the #6, but past 40 maybe not.

Since we are on the subject, how would a #5 compare to a #6 in terms of lethality out to 50 or 60 yards?

BowBendr

Quote from: Dirt nap on March 03, 2015, 08:54:04 PM
since no one here shoots past 40 yds how do we know the shell companies  are not right then...

Must be because we have a lot of threads here lately that start out by saying, "I know this is a 60 yard pattern... Now I don't shoot that far, mind you...I just wanted to see what happens if I misjudge... I normally don't shoot til he's under 30 cause if I don't it's not sporting......"

So what are we trying to do here ?
Unleash the forum to start talking about 75 yard shots like Hevi claims the mag blends will do ? Start calling BS on the guys that claim your not a hunter if you aren't looking at eyelashes, or just worship at the altar of the newbie that has an 835 and some long beard #6 and he gonna' do whatever he wants because somehow Winchester just re-invented the wheel.....gimme' a break....

BowBendr

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on March 03, 2015, 09:07:21 PMThree months ago, I could not even tell you what #4, #5, or #6 even meant.

Since we are on the subject, how would a #5 compare to a #6 in terms of lethality out to 50 or 60 yards?

Again, this is exactly why we don't talk about past 40.....

I am NOT picking on you or singling you out, but dang man, you didn't know what #'s    4,5 or 6 meant 3 months ago and you're already discussing long range shooting on an Internet forum ?
You need to get an understanding of the wild turkey and how to hunt them under your belt before you start worrying about 50 yards.......just food for thought......

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: BowBendr on March 03, 2015, 09:27:48 PM

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on March 03, 2015, 09:07:21 PMThree months ago, I could not even tell you what #4, #5, or #6 even meant.

Again, this is exactly why we don't talk about past 40.....

I am NOT picking on you or singling you out, but dang man, you didn't know what #'s    4,5 or 6 meant 3 months ago and you're already discussing long range shooting on an Internet forum ?
You need to get an understanding of the wild turkey and how to hunt them under your belt before you start worrying about 50 yards.......just food for thought......

To be honest, no. Until I decided to really get into turkey hunting this year, the only hunting I have done is for deer with a .270 and a bow. I have had a shotgun for several years, as well as being a firearms instructor, but I/we only have buckshot and slugs. I have been turkey hunting once (last year) and I used my friend's shotgun and the shells that he already put into the gun. I have never had any dealings with turkey load. I do not mean to sound stupid, but I just never really knew what it was.

As I said before, I have no intention of shooting a turkey past 40 yards, but I am just curious as to why somebody would think that #6 would not kill a turkey past 40 yards.

vaturkey

Quote from: Dirt nap on March 03, 2015, 08:54:04 PM

Or 10 Ga Shotguns to shoot  30 Yds !  :TooFunny:
Vaturkey