OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Say it aint so!

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 03, 2015, 07:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taylorjones20

I don't like lead at all, at any range.  Hevi-shot all the way.  No time for lead...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Longshanks

I can tell you from 40 years of turkey hunting that no matter what gun/choke/shell you shoot your chances are greatly increased by letting the turkey get inside 40 yds. I have seen hunters with high-tech turkey guns since the early 90's trying to push the envelope with distance and all they have done is lose a larger percentage of turkey's. The best turkey hunters I know shoot inside 40 yds because when they pull the trigger they do everything they can to make it a high percentage shot. They don't take low percentage shots even if it means letting the turkey walk.  Shooting at further distances just increases your chances of crippling the turkey. There are allot of factors that happen in the turkey woods that don't arise shooting off of a rest at a paper target. Hunter excitement, wind, low light conditions, trees, saplings, misjudged distance, shooting at a target that is subject to move and the list goes on and on. There are some turkey hunters still around that believe in keeping the art of turkey hunting alive. Scouting, position, set-up, concealment, calling, when to move or not to move are all part of the process that make folks better turkey hunters. Long range shooting has been an eye sore on turkey hunting in the last couple of decades.
     Turkey's have decreased in most states due to over harvest and habitat changes. States that had some of the biggest populations are seeing significant declines.  Despite all that we have an ever increasing population of turkey hunters that take long range shots at gobblers regardless of the negative consequences. Guess it all boils down to respect for the Wild Turkey and that is something that seems to have been lost for allot of the turkey hunters a run across.
       The folks that own this website care about the future of turkey hunting and it's good to see someone make a stand to promote the sport in a positive way.

BowBendr

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on March 03, 2015, 09:35:05 PMAs I said before, I have no intention of shooting a turkey past 40 yards, but I am just curious as to why somebody would think that #6 would not kill a turkey past 40 yards.

I don't know why they'd think that, nor do I care. I don't want you to either.

You are admittedly new to turkey hunting and I want to see you start off on the right foot. Get you a good gun, choke and shell, then your biggest concern after that is to make sure your aiming point is in tune with where the shot impacts the target. If not, fix it.
After that, go find some turkeys. Learn where they travel and why they went there. Listen how turkeys call to each other and learn to do the same. Don't call at birds, talk to them in their language. Put your time in and the birds will come, then you can worry about killing them.

I avoid workplace hunting conversations at all cost. Most people will steer you way off course. I work with 3 of them myself....

Get a good pattern, know your gun, and hit what you aim at and you'll be golden.
Sorry for coming off as an arse.....

Sent from Gobblers Knob, NC

Ihuntoldschool

I like lead at any reasonable range at which shots should be taken on wild turkeys. Lead all the way.  No need for Hevi-shot.

Benelli Man 22

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: BowBendr on March 03, 2015, 10:08:15 PM
Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on March 03, 2015, 09:35:05 PMAs I said before, I have no intention of shooting a turkey past 40 yards, but I am just curious as to why somebody would think that #6 would not kill a turkey past 40 yards.

I don't know why they'd think that, nor do I care. I don't want you to either.

You are admittedly new to turkey hunting and I want to see you start off on the right foot. Get you a good gun, choke and shell, then your biggest concern after that is to make sure your aiming point is in tune with where the shot impacts the target. If not, fix it.
After that, go find some turkeys. Learn where they travel and why they went there. Listen how turkeys call to each other and learn to do the same. Don't call at birds, talk to them in their language. Put your time in and the birds will come, then you can worry about killing them.

I avoid workplace hunting conversations at all cost. Most people will steer you way off course. I work with 3 of them myself....

Get a good pattern, know your gun, and hit what you aim at and you'll be golden.
Sorry for coming off as an arse.....

Sent from Gobblers Knob, NC

No worries. I did not start this topic to create a debate. I have been doing a lot of research and, honestly, trying to find stuff online has been difficult, to say the least. Heck, I can't even find what constrictions of a choke tube fall under extra full, full, etc... So, with that being said, I have been getting most, if not all, of my information from OG. The good, and the bad, of that is that there are a lot of different opinions on a lot of different subjects, tips, methods, etc... on this forum.

I am enjoying this forum and hope to continue to learn from it.

I have absolutely no intention of taking a shot past 40 yards, but I guess I am just looking for somebody to reassure me that #6 will be adequate at 40.

To be honest, when I took a shot at 60 the other day at the range, I couldn't exactly see the clearest picture of the bird on the target. I could not imagine trying to stay on a bird's neck at that distance while he is moving, bobbing, etc... That is the same reason that I do not shoot a deer with my .270 further than 150. Just too many variables to go wrong.

Old Gobbler

Years ago....we had some folks( now thankfully gone) bragging about shells that could kill at 83,91 100, and I've seen 120 yards -- no b.s. here tried to get a lid on it unsuccessfully and they resisted and were shown the door

The end result is that what you do in the woods is your business , we politely ask that people just keep that stuff to them selves and on t he down low

A example would be the flurry of "I shot at a gobbler at 50 yards with xxxx shell and it got away " posts where the original poster was mad at the ammunition manufacturer

like I said what people do in their private time is their business but if it's promoting way out there shots keep it on the down low because of all the impressionable unknowing beginners - thanks in advance

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

stinkpickle

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on March 03, 2015, 07:37:58 PM
Today, a guy at work tried to tell me that #6 would not kill a bird past 40 yards.

You need to tell him that his talents would be better appreciated at Idiot Mart.   ;)

870FaceLift

[/quote]
To be honest, when I took a shot at 60 the other day at the range, I couldn't exactly see the clearest picture of the bird on the target. I could not imagine trying to stay on a bird's neck at that distance while he is moving, bobbing, etc... That is the same reason that I do not shoot a deer with my .270 further than 150. Just too many variables to go wrong.
[/quote]

You and me both!!  ;D I don't have to worry about lethality at those distances because of that very reason.  I think the same exact thing when I see people shoot 60+ yard shots with their bows.  More power to them, I just can't see that dang far when I'm trying to focus on a small object.
Pass it on...

Gooserbat

Some folks just are not worth debating.  I know from experience it will. (what's it gonna do bounce of its skull at 41 yards?) However I don't think its a good idea to go to the woods with the expectations of taking 40 + yard shots.  I also think that if that's your game you shouldn't play with #6 lead (even Win LB .)  I believe there is a contingency of hunters who spend the time and coin to be prepared for such shots. You know who you are. The rest simply shouldn't.  Your friend at work obviously hadn't and so let him alone and keep him happy in his bubble.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

FullChoke

With finding an effective shell for turkey hunting, you must take into consideration two things. Maximum distance that a particular sized shot is able to carry 2-2.5 foot pounds of energy and the distance to achieve a minimum pattern density.

It has been physically determined that shot carrying 2-2.5 foot pounds of energy is required to break the bone in a turkeys vertebrae and/or skull. A #6 lead pellet traveling at a muzzle velocity of 1,300 feet per second in air that is calm, 70 degrees with 50% humidity is able to deliver 2-2.5 foot pounds of energy at a distance of approximately 40 yards. The FPE drops off dramatically beyond that distance for the #6 lead shot, so any shots beyond that distance should not be considered, regardless of pattern density. Given this, you will still need to pattern your gun/shell to determine if the pattern can deliver a minimum density of 100 evenly spaced pellets in a 10" diameter circle. If it does, then you have a 40 yard combination. If the numbers are less than 100 pellets, shoot a sheet of paper at 35 yards and see what your results are. Continue moving closer to the paper until you hit the 100 mark. This now is your maximum ethical distance to take a shot at a turkey with that shell/choke tube/shotgun combination.

Although you asked specifically about #6 shot, this also applies to larger shot. You still need to have that 100 count pattern to raise the odds that pellets will penetrate the vertebrae and/or the skull.

Cheers.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

deerbasshunter3

This is my 40 yard shot with Win LB 3" #6.

DirtNap647

looks good now...get another target shoot at 50 and I think you will answer your own question

bbcoach

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on March 04, 2015, 03:07:19 PM
This is my 40 yard shot with Win LB 3" #6.
That pattern will get the job done everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.   

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.