OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Say it aint so!

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 03, 2015, 07:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble!

Pattern density. When you can no longer put 100 pellets in a 10" circle with any shot size you enter the spray and pray range, the range where you are hoping that 1 magic bb hits the right spot. Go out and shoot your gun at multiple ranges. When you can no longer put 100 pellets evenly in a 10 circle you have reached your guns max range. As long as the pattern density is there I believe the #6s will do fine.

owlhoot

Quote from: Gobble! on March 04, 2015, 08:55:06 PM
Pattern density. When you can no longer put 100 pellets in a 10" circle with any shot size you enter the spray and pray range, the range where you are hoping that 1 magic bb hits the right spot. Go out and shoot your gun at multiple ranges. When you can no longer put 100 pellets evenly in a 10 circle you have reached your guns max range. As long as the pattern density is there I believe the #6s will do fine.
So now all the past foot pounds of energy statements done by ammo companies , ballistic experts and so on with the sizes and types of shot mean nothing?
So now if the beginning turkey hunter or anyone else reading can get the 100 pellets of whatever size and type of shot  in the 10" circle on paper at 58-59 yards is good to go at that range?
The OP setup got 96 at 60 yards, so now lead 6's are good to that distance??

Sorry but i wouldn't trust it to put turkeys down consistantly :z-twocents:

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: owlhoot on March 04, 2015, 11:19:30 PM
Quote from: Gobble! on March 04, 2015, 08:55:06 PM
So now all the past foot pounds of energy statements done by ammo companies , ballistic experts and so on with the sizes and types of shot mean nothing?
So now if the beginning turkey hunter or anyone else reading can get the 100 pellets of whatever size and type of shot  in the 10" circle on paper at 58-59 yards is good to go at that range?
The OP setup got 96 at 60 yards, so now lead 6's are good to that distance??

Sorry but i wouldn't trust it to put turkeys down consistantly :z-twocents:

You don't think that #6 will kill a turkey at 40 yards?

owlhoot

Yes 6 shot lead will kill at 40. Many have great success.
Now going further may get you into the wounding zone in regards to energy and penetration needed to consistently kill turkeys.
What i don't believe or agree with is the , as long as the pattern is there with 100 in the 10" and pattern will fail before penetration statement.
According to your patterns you have a 58 yard gun with 6's, I don't agree with that.

I also believe in having a gun that is good to at least 10 more yards of pattern and pellet energy than i will be shooting just in case i mis-judge the range or screw up the shot a bit.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on March 03, 2015, 10:15:15 PM
I like lead at any reasonable range at which shots should be taken on wild turkeys. Lead all the way.  No need for Hevi-shot.

totally agree with Ihuntoldschool, I myself am an old school hunter, lead 4's and 5's have worked for years on a lot of turkeys for me,I've tried the HTL shells and still have some, but I have no problems with shooting lead.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Old Gobbler

Years and years ago there was some research done , I'm not familiar with the study criteria but the end result is that my crusty memory allows me to remember that the figure 2.6 foot pounds was the magic number not to go below with pellet energy , you will hear people reference the 40 yards and #6 much of the time , this is perhaps what has been mentioned several  times in this post - let me be clear , I'm not saying that figure is a fact that's just what's widely published , I know ... I know somebody knows somebody that shot a turkey and paced it off at 53 yards etc. with lead #6 .... My response for you is this , try that 10 times in less than perfect conditions , come back and report to the world on your real world findings - in all my years of running this forum , I've never seen not once ..... A longest MISSED shot thread , I do however recall a fellow consistently making longest kill post ......

At 1200 fps muzzle velocity I think it was stated that a #6 (lead )kinda just gets to that number right at around 37 yards etc... Let's just call it 40 yards and be done with it , I think I recall the study sponsored by Winchester of all people but I could be wrong - mind you this is lead , hevi shot type pellets hit and penetrate harder , they also retain energy much better , also with the refinements in ammo and chokes they shoot a heck of a lot tighter 

I don't make any claims to be the authority on shot shell performance , but I happen to be very experienced in calling them into shotgun range and reducing gobblers into permanent custody via my cooler in the back of my pick up truck , I've done so consistently for 31 years now , one day I'll get to old and crazy to do so ,but I'm hoping to put that off as long as possible -- and the worst feeling to endure in the turkey woods is crippling a gobbler and have him get away , as a group whole we want to encourage responsible behavior , I've also shot several thousand waterfowl and have seen some deplorable sky busting behavior out in the marsh , if you visit waterfowl forums and monitor them you will notice many of these waterfowl forums are absolutely covered with "know it alls" promoting incredibly long shot practices , I guess they must be teenagers I figure ....cause they know everything , I know this much a crippled pintail duck won't be flying back up 3000 miles to the Arctic circle to lay another clutch of eggs , that's a fact 

We use shotguns that spray pellets , often times in a refined manner , weather conditions will greatly reduce your shotguns performance , not every morning is a sunny windless day , a slight breeze will shift your pattern at 40 yards a foot to the side depending on how it's blowing as a example it will also open it right up

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

taylorjones20

Quote from: Old Gobbler on March 05, 2015, 09:21:50 PM
Years and years ago there was some research done , I'm not familiar with the study criteria but the end result is that my crusty memory allows me to remember that the figure 2.6 foot pounds was the magic number not to go below with pellet energy , you will hear people reference the 40 yards and #6 much of the time , this is perhaps what has been mentioned several  times in this post - let me be clear , I'm not saying that figure is a fact that's just what's widely published , I know ... I know somebody knows somebody that shot a turkey and paced it off at 53 yards etc. with lead #6 .... My response for you is this , try that 10 times in less than perfect conditions , come back and report to the world on your real world findings - in all my years of running this forum , I've never seen not once ..... A longest MISSED shot thread , I do however recall a fellow consistently making longest kill post ......

At 1200 fps muzzle velocity I think it was stated that a #6 (lead )kinda just gets to that number right at around 37 yards etc... Let's just call it 40 yards and be done with it , I think I recall the study sponsored by Winchester of all people but I could be wrong - mind you this is lead , hevi shot type pellets hit and penetrate harder , they also retain energy much better , also with the refinements in ammo and chokes they shoot a heck of a lot tighter 

I don't make any claims to be the authority on shot shell performance , but I happen to be very experienced in calling them into shotgun range and reducing gobblers into permanent custody via my cooler in the back of my pick up truck , I've done so consistently for 31 years now , one day I'll get to old and crazy to do so ,but I'm hoping to put that off as long as possible -- and the worst feeling to endure in the turkey woods is crippling a gobbler and have him get away , as a group whole we want to encourage responsible behavior , I've also shot several thousand waterfowl and have seen some deplorable sky busting behavior out in the marsh , if you visit waterfowl forums and monitor them you will notice many of these waterfowl forums are absolutely covered with "know it alls" promoting incredibly long shot practices , I guess they must be teenagers I figure ....cause they know everything , I know this much a crippled pintail duck won't be flying back up 3000 miles to the Arctic circle to lay another clutch of eggs , that's a fact 

We use shotguns that spray pellets , often times in a refined manner , weather conditions will greatly reduce your shotguns performance , not every morning is a sunny windless day , a slight breeze will shift your pattern at 40 yards a foot to the side depending on how it's blowing as a example it will also open it right up

Very well said
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Longshanks

Yup, that's the truth.

surehuntsalot

wise words spoken from an experienced turkey "hunter"
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

jakesdad

It seems like today that if you cant put up big numbers in the magical 10" at 40 yds,you havent got a "real" turkey gun. I may be in the minority here,(and yes i've been a numbers counter in the past),but i'm personally more interested in how my gun shoots at 10,20,and 30 yds.Why? Because after chasing the magic circle I had this weird realization that "Hey,99% of the turkeys i've killed have been 30 yds or less".Will I still shoot a gun at 40 to see what it does? Yep. If i've got nice even patterns at my hunting distances and my 40 pattern is sub-par so to speak,do I scrap the load because I cant kill a bird at 40 with it.Nope.I shoot lead 6's out of my 12 when I use it.Old style Remington Hevi 6's or Winchester lead 5's out of my 20,which I use most if not all the time.Have never had a problem killing a turkey graveyard dead with 6's.Don't base your hunting on how far you can shoot,but rather on how close you can get him.I know lots of lethal turkey killers here in my area who use 3" lead 6's in fixed full choke guns.They've killed truck loads of birds by working on hunting birds not sniping them.A little off topic but its my  :z-twocents:

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

ericjames

Quote from: jakesdad on March 06, 2015, 10:33:35 PM
It seems like today that if you cant put up big numbers in the magical 10" at 40 yds,you havent got a "real" turkey gun. I may be in the minority here,(and yes i've been a numbers counter in the past),but i'm personally more interested in how my gun shoots at 10,20,and 30 yds.Why? Because after chasing the magic circle I had this weird realization that "Hey,99% of the turkeys i've killed have been 30 yds or less".Will I still shoot a gun at 40 to see what it does? Yep. If i've got nice even patterns at my hunting distances and my 40 pattern is sub-par so to speak,do I scrap the load because I cant kill a bird at 40 with it.Nope.I shoot lead 6's out of my 12 when I use it.Old style Remington Hevi 6's or Winchester lead 5's out of my 20,which I use most if not all the time.Have never had a problem killing a turkey graveyard dead with 6's.Don't base your hunting on how far you can shoot,but rather on how close you can get him.I know lots of lethal turkey killers here in my area who use 3" lead 6's in fixed full choke guns.They've killed truck loads of birds by working on hunting birds not sniping them.A little off topic but its my  :z-twocents:

This is the way I am also, I have a friend of mine that wants the tightest pattern he can get at 40.. He told me he wished he could put every pellet in whatever shell he shoots in the 10" at 40. My favorite pattern is when I put a 24" piece of paper up to shoot and I go check the pattern he says dang you cant miss.. That's what I like to see.

Longshanks

Quote from: jakesdad on March 06, 2015, 10:33:35 PM

That's interesting, I did the same thing last year. Although I have guns that will turn 280's-330's in a 10" @ 40,  I went back to hunting with my 870 21" bbl/ kicks .655/ XX 3" 6's. Shoots 120's-140's in a 10" and 180's in a 12".  I went back to it because I have killed more turkey's with this set up than anything and can't recall a miss. Just a better hunting set up. Killer to 40 and decreases chances of missing.

Old Gobbler

Quote from: vaturkey on March 03, 2015, 07:46:20 PM

Ya better not talk about shots over 40 yards cause you're gonna get put in TIMEOUT !

To everyone ----

nah..... I'm not like that , I'm more laid back than some would think

Some of my critics lay on the 40.5 yard jabs at me , trying to portray to others I'm a long shot nazi - nothing is further from the truth - the intention of the site policy set up specifically towards a very Small minority of folks that are dead set on PROMOTING extreme long shots , it's sad that people have to resort to promoting 83 yard shots at jakes to make a buck , but it's what they do - I say to them learn how to use a turkey call ----geesh......

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

natman

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on March 03, 2015, 07:37:58 PM
Today, a guy at work tried to tell me that #6 would not kill a bird past 40 yards. I am new to this sport, but that doesn't seem right to me. Now, I know the further out you shoot, the less likely it is to kill a turkey, but I find it hard to believe that Win LB 3" #6 will not kill a turkey at 50 yards. Maybe I am wrong, but that just didn't sound right to me.

This sounds like a common misunderstanding. It's not a will kill / won't kill proposition.  It's certainly possible to kill a turkey with #6 shot past 40 yards. The problem is that at long range #6 shot starts to lose penetration, so it's also quite possible to wound one that would have been a clean kill at closer range, so much so that it's really better to avoid it rather than gamble that #6 will work.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Dirt nap on March 03, 2015, 07:53:10 PM
I gotta admit this no talk past 40 is for the birds man times change equipment gets better and better but as hunters we are still suppose to not shoot at 41 yds...? just don't understand this whole aspect if you don't want to talk about or shoot past 40 then why not move on and don't reply

It's kinda like if archery talk said no talk of archery shots past 30 for compounds and crossbows because some recurves lack KE at that distance. 
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>