Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Point of Aim on a turkey at different yardages.

Started by deerbasshunter3, February 26, 2015, 06:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

I mentioned this as a reply in another post, but I figured I would post it as a new topic to get some more opinions. Should I be able to hold on one specific spot of a turkey from anywhere from five yards out to 40 yards, or should I expect to have to compensate the further he gets out?

The reason I ask is because at the range yesterday, I was able to hold dead on at approx. 15 yards but had to hold a little lower at 40. Is this normal, or is there something I should adjust?

dejake

at 5 yards, i aim for the body.  My poi is consistant from 20 to 40 yards.

deerbasshunter3

So am I missing something? If I hold lower neck, I will be good all the way out to 40, so maybe I am good to go?

dirt road ninja

5-55 yards I see no difference. On very close shots I due tend to aim right at the base, only to give me a larger target not to compensate for distance.

deerbasshunter3

I am using the Hi Viz Tri Viz sight. I do not know if you are familiar with it, but is it possible that I am not lining the sights up exactly how I should be? Also, if my POA and POI are dead on at 10 yards, should it be dead on at 20, 30, and 40?

I feel like I am just over thinking all of this, like I tend to do with everything else, and that I should just aim at the base of the neck regardless of distance.

FullChoke

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on February 26, 2015, 07:59:29 AM
I feel like I am just over thinking all of this, like I tend to do with everything else, and that I should just aim at the base of the neck regardless of distance.
Yes, you are over thinking this. When the time comes to shoot, aim at the point where the fleshy red caruncles meet the feathers at the base of the neck. Squeeze the trigger. Pick up the dead turkey. Repeat.

Good luck.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

buck_hunter21

I am at the base of the neck no matter what the yardage is.
Spill Blood

jakesdad

Quote from: FullChoke on February 26, 2015, 10:11:44 AM
Yes, you are over thinking this. When the time comes to shoot, aim at the point where the fleshy red caruncles meet the feathers at the base of the neck. Squeeze the trigger. Pick up the dead turkey. Repeat.

Good luck.FC

What he said ^^^^^

I think its easier to use a consistent aiming point at all yardages than try to adjust for close vs farther. If you've got a good pattern an inch or two low at 10 or an inch or two high at 40 wont make any difference.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

tomstopper

I pattern my gun by aiming in the center between the top of the head and the bottom of the waddles and have never had a problem with aiming here at any yardage between 5 and 45 while in the field.

WildTigerTrout

Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Marc

I just posted this on another thread.

Best way to find the POA for your gun is to utilize a turkey choke, put a small target on the paper, and shoot the same paper 3 times with light target loads....  I typically do this at 30 yards, but will move it out to 40 as well, and sometimes in to 10 or 15 yards.

Light target loads have three advantages:
1) Less expensive
2) High pellet count with smaller pellets
3) Less recoil (this is probably the biggest factor for me).

At really close ranges such as 10 yards or under, you probably would only shoot the same paper once or twice.  But shooting the same paper multiple times, creates a really dense pattern, and makes it really easy to see where your point of impact is as compared to your point of aim.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Rapscallion Vermilion

I would add to Marc's suggestion to follow up in the end with your actual hunting load.  My turkey loads shoot a couple of inches higher at forty yards than light target loads, probably because of the greater recoil and larger, denser shot in my turkey loads.

As for the drop effecting point of impact, a #5 lead pellet will only drop about 2 to 3 inches at forty yards.  If you sight in at that range, you are not going to be off by more than an inch or so at any range under 40.

Bigspurs68

I know that I have a tendency to aim for their eyeball but I really wouldn't get too worked up over the whole deal. Shoot him in the head-ish area and carry on.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

Gooserbat

Quote from: FullChoke on February 26, 2015, 10:11:44 AM

Good luck.

FC

Perfect answer.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

deerbasshunter3

So, if I am zeroed in at ten yards, I should be able to hold where the feathers meet the neck and get a kill shot out to 40?