OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Point of Aim on a turkey at different yardages.

Started by deerbasshunter3, February 26, 2015, 06:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rapscallion Vermilion

Most likely, but I wouldn't zero in at 10 yards.  Zero in at the upper end of your shooting range and don't worry about adjusting for anything in range.

yelpaholic

I hold where the feathers meet the neck out to about 75 yards then I aim a little over his head... :OGturkeyhead:    JUST KIDDING :OGturkeyhead:

Triple Gobble

Live your life through Jesus, and life begins!!!!

deerbasshunter3

I went to the range today. I aimed at the base of the neck and had kills (based on the turkey target) from 10 yards out to 40 yards. I even shot at 60 yards, for grins and giggles,  and had 96 pellets in the 10" circle.

Marc

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on February 26, 2015, 09:18:32 PM
I would add to Marc's suggestion to follow up in the end with your actual hunting load. 

I would add the same thing...

Last thing I do after I figure out where and how the gun is shooting, is put one or two rounds of the actual loads I will be shooting on separate papers...  Make sure I have a good pattern and that the load is shooting where I want.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

deerbasshunter3

I cannot decide if I want to try to adjust my sights or leave it be. This is today at 40 yards:

deerbasshunter3

Marc

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

jblackburn

Quote from: Marc on February 28, 2015, 01:30:45 AM
Leave it alone...

:agreed:

You're good to go with that set up.  Now scout and practice calling!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

turkey buster

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: turkey buster on March 01, 2015, 08:40:44 PM
Why adjust that pattern???

Based on all of the posts that I have read on OG, the bulk of my pattern is slightly to the right of the center of the neck. Also, it is to the right of the center of the neck on the 10 yard shot. I don't know. Just see that it could be centered a little more.

turkey buster

If a turkey walks away from that then he's bad!! Maybe a slight jerk or breeze of wind caused what your seeing. What I see is a d-e-a-d turkey

Rapscallion Vermilion

It looks good to me, but in the end you need to be comfortable and confident with where it shoots.
Flip the paper over and determine the center from the back.  Images like that tend pull your eye. How many did you shoot at each distance?  I doubt on my best day with a rest I can shoot three shots that center within an inch or two of each other at 40 yards, and that is with a red dot.  It is harder with open sights. Was there any cross wind that day?  Even a 10 mph cross wind can move the shot several inches at 40 yards.

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on March 01, 2015, 09:19:52 PM
It looks good to me, but in the end you need to be comfortable and confident with where it shoots.
Flip the paper over and determine the center from the back.  Images like that tend pull your eye. How many did you shoot at each distance?  I doubt on my best day with a rest I can shoot three shots that center within an inch or two of each other at 40 yards, and that is with a red dot.  It is harder with open sights. Was there any cross wind that day?  Even a 10 mph cross wind can move the shot several inches at 40 yards.

One shot at each distance. I'm sure there were some winds, but I don't remember where from. I am most definitely comfortable with my gun shooting how it is.

bammerslammer 50

I aim dead center of his head and wattles when patterning my gun. The only time I change my poa is when he's "danger close" usually between 0-15 yds. It's like shooting a slug at that close for me. There is hardly any pattern at all so I aim under his wattles just below the feather line. This is a slightly bigger target to shoot at and dont tend to bob around as much. That's probably not what most people do but the onlt bird I've shot that close never even twitched. He just rolled backwards and laid there. It works for me.