OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Point of Aim on a turkey at different yardages.

Started by deerbasshunter3, February 26, 2015, 06:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J Hook Max

I always aim for the base of the neck. Right on the wattles.
The only time I don't is if they are about 15 yards and in. I then aim for the base of his wing like a bowhunter would do.

zelmo1

:OGturkeyhead: I say know where your hunting load hits at 30 yards and squeeze the trigger, it should be good from 4-40. Just my 2 cents

Cullenhunter

My guns poi is off so i have to aim about 4 in below base of neck and 2-3 inches to the left
Cullen's future best turkey hunter
Hoyt vector turbo
Rem 1100 lt 20 ga
Hr 12 ga

Uncle Tom

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on February 28, 2015, 12:48:28 AM
I cannot decide if I want to try to adjust my sights or leave it be. This is today at 40 yards:
Deerbasshunter3, if this is load you hunt with, dead bird every time. Now, don't forget this, aiming any higher risk putting many more pellets over top of his head...probably dead turkey...but still many wasted pellets. Now this is what is important, if you save the breast, you have destroyed it if you aim any lower. Don't believe it, try it sometime...especially if shooting #6 Heavy Shot. My point of aim is always the waddles...can always see them out to 40..even little further...and dead turkey if you squeeze trigger, don't flinch. Shoot couple little further and see where your pattern begins to drop and then you will have your confidence dialed in as well as your gun.

Uncle Tom

Quote from: Cullenhunter on March 07, 2015, 11:41:17 PM
My guns poi is off so i have to aim about 4 in below base of neck and 2-3 inches to the left
Cullenhunter, get you a Truglo Pro Series Mangnum Gobble Dot sight and your problem solved forever. Made of all steel...mounts to your rib and full windage and elevation adjusts. Has dots that line up with front sight and once you have it sightened in, good to go. Midwest has them in there catalogue...looking at it right now..$46.95...best $ you have ever spent if you are serious about hitting where that pattern is. I ordered spare pack of the tubes in different colors...believe it comes with green/red.

turkey buster

I have some for a Mossberg that's listed on the classifieds

RiverRoost

So would one not want to aim at waddles close up and out at 40 yards and farther aim for head? I've always heard aim for the ballcap at your guns max range distances.

turkey buster

Quote from: Trappey on March 08, 2015, 03:30:14 PM
So would one not want to aim at waddles close up and out at 40 yards and farther aim for head? I've always heard aim for the ballcap at your guns max range distances.

I've started "zeroing" mine for 40 yards where the center of my pattern is where I aim.  At 20 yards if I'm off I'm off an inch maybe. At closer ranges I do seem to aim a tad bit lower just because I have more room for error.

At 30-40 I'm aiming just above waddles where my pattern covers head, kneck, waddles.
20-30 it's mid kneck
20 and in its waddles

Dr Juice

I concur with FullChoke. I always aim at the base of the neck no matter the distance.

kjnengr

Quote from: Trappey on March 08, 2015, 03:30:14 PM

I have not seen enough drop in my shot to warrant different aim points.  I figure that for the distance my shot dropped far enough to need a higher poa, my pattern would be too open for a reliable shot.  I am shooting Hevi-13 2 oz #6 if that matters.  :OGani:

Boom

zelmo1

Dr Juice

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on February 26, 2015, 07:16:14 AM
So am I missing something? If I hold lower neck, I will be good all the way out to 40, so maybe I am good to go?
Concur!

GobbleNut

I am surprised that nobody has stated the obvious yet.  That is, if the turkey is so far away that you feel you need to compensate for pellet drop, he is too far away to be pulling the trigger.

turkey_slayer

I aim at the waddles. I like to see his head. Gives me an idea how I'm holding left/right. 20 and closer I pull down a little