OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best All Terrin Tire

Started by gatrapper, February 21, 2015, 10:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatrapper

I have Firestone Destination A/Ts on my truck. I like the tires, but I sometimes feel that they wear weird. I had BFG A/Ts on the truck before the Destinations. I keep hearing good things about Coopers A/Ts.

What's y'all's input?
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

taylorjones20

Cooper makes a very good tire. My uncle has a set on his F150 that have lasted an incredible amount of time. I personally have the BFG K/O on mine. A little more aggressive. I will probably do a M/T next time...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Tony Hawkins

I have used 2 sets of the Cooper ATR that was replaced with the AT3 model on a 1500 Suburban and they are a good tire. On my Silverado I put the Toyo AT3 on because they look a little more aggressive (sidewall) than the Coopers. Traction-wise they are about the same.
When it is time to get another set i am going with the Toyos again, just in a different size. I have 285/65 -18 now and I want to go to a 275/75-18... a little taller, a little narrower, and 5 lbs lighter per tire to get better mpg.
Check the prices on treaddepot.com. I got a better price there, then had them mounted/balanced at a local shop.

Old Gobbler

I have Goodyear MTR kevlars on my truck , it's the second set , the first I got 50,000 miles on them

It's more of a dedicated off road tire than anything else they have to offer - there is a noticeable tire hum , but besides that the off road traction is incredible
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Eview326

I have Cooper AT/3's on my truck now, they're pretty good tires.  I bought them because of the great reviews.  In the past though I've had Nitto Terra Grapplers and Goodyear Dura Tracs.  Both were good tires but I liked the Nittos better

Skeeterbait

Look at General Grabber AT2 if you want a really tough tire, good ride, low noise, reasonable price.

hobbes

I've had the BF Goodrich KO and they performed well but the last set didn't wear as well as the first.  I've had Hankooks that I liked also.  I'm currently running Cooper AT3s that performed well in slick mud last turkey season and have been performing well in snow.  They had good reports and I got a better deal on them than I could any other AT

SKFOOTER

In my opinion you have the best all terrain tire already.  Over the years I have ran Firestone Destination A/T's on 3 different trucks and have been very satisfied with them.   The ride is smooth and quiet and treadlife has exceeded 50,000 miles if properly rotated and the truck's alignment is kept in check.  I would wager that your uneven wear is not being caused by the tire itself.  Check out the reviews in Tire Rack.  The Destination A/T's are close to the top. 

bammerslammer 50

Mastercraft cursor ct is what I run on my truck. I like them a lot. It's not quite a mud tire but a little more than your standard all terrain.

Gamblinman

Quote from: Skeeterbait on February 21, 2015, 11:55:17 AM
Look at General Grabber AT2 if you want a really tough tire, good ride, low noise, reasonable price.

+1...great all around tire.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Redfish

Several of my buddies and myself are running Toyo Open Country ATs and MTs and we are all really happy with them.
John 3:16

budtripp

Bf Goodrich is a time proven all terrain.  Also check out the Mickey Thompson baja atz. I'm running the my on my truck and love them.

stinkpickle

I was happy running Nitto Terra Grapplers until the price jumped up to match the BFG A/T KOs.  Now, I'm back to the BFGs.

El Pavo Grande

I work in the tire wholesale industry, so I am familiar with most brands out there. 

As mentioned the Cooper A/T3 is one of the best.  The ATR, which it replaced, was a great mileage tire on for highway use but lacked durability on gravel.  The silica based compound on the A/T3 helped with that issue as well as providing great wet traction.  It has received several accolades for quality, such as a previous award of #1 all-terrain  by Consumer Reports.  To top it off it's made in the USA.  There is also a consumer rebate slated for March 1 - April 15, which will pay you around $75 for buying a set of 4. 

Cooper builds Mastercraft, and there is a similar tire called the Courser AXT.  Similar tread (looks close to a Hankook RF-10).  If price is a consideration this is a little cheaper.  Consumer rebate slated for April for set of 4.

The Toyo AT II is also a great quality tire, built with a lot of technology.  Typically very few balance issues with the Toyo and usually good mileage. 

The Hankook RF-10 and BFGs are also a durable tire that works well on and off road. 

If you decide on a little more aggressive all-terrain / mud tire there are several great options....
Kelly TSR, Cooper S/T Maxx, Toyo MT, or the Mastercraft MXT.

Whatever you choose (no matter what brand), the key is rotating as required.  One late rotation or mechanical issues, such as shocks, bearings, alignment issues etc. your tires will dish out or experience uneven wear.

reynolds243

The new bf good wrench KO2 looks very sweet

Proverbs 3:5

Sent from my phone using Technology