Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Okay here's one big question on turkey hunting kinda a subject I want to see

Started by firstflight111, May 09, 2014, 08:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstflight111

Just want to see what's the popular vote on turkey hunting methods from seasoned turkey hunters in general .and what one takes more skill in the woods .
Okay number 1
to run and gun .
to sit in a ground blind and work a bird
sit and ambush them ..

not a debate Just want to see what popular .

I am a ground blind hunter .

Sent from my C811 4G

CUPPED AND COMMITTED

gobbler777

For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

trkehunr93

cphill

Quote from: trkehunr93 on May 09, 2014, 02:25:44 PM
All the above!  Depends on where I hear them that morning.
I agree

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

jblackburn

1. Run and gun - that's how I learned to hunt and it's been good to me.  I also have the attention span of a gnat.

2. Ground blind - either if it's raining or if there is very limited cover and I know its an area they frequent.

3. Sit and ambush - remember that attention span thing!  I'm not a good deer hunter because I can't stand just sitting and waiting.  I have done it successfully though, especially on tough late season birds. I will usually mix in very light calling (clucks and purrs).
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

wisconsinteacher

Depends on the season/birds/where I am hunting.  Next weekend I will hunt back home where the property is smaller and I don't have as many farms as I do closer to where I live now.  With that, I will sit tigher in a blind with my dad.  The past few weeks, I have had access to a lot of land and walked most of it.  The weather is also a big factor.  If it raining or I am lazy, I will sit longer.  If I have fresh legs and the weather is nice, I will be moving more.

Gooserbat

I'm a run and gun hunter.  I like to meet the birds half way.  The fun of the hunt is the interaction.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

troutfisher13111

I prefer run and gun, but I will do whatever it takes. Usually, sitting quiet while waiting to ambush is my last resort.

L.F. Cox

Not sure who pushed the pestilent term "run and gun" on the turkey world.

Most people that call themselves run'n and gun'n run off more turkeys than they kill....I hunt slow and gun without blinds or da'coys but if I need to make a fast move I can.

Triple B

I go with a ground blind most of the time, especially since I rarely gun hunt anymore.

Marc

Run & gun...

I do not believe it is the most productive method, as sitting patiently in a productive spot generally proves more productive for those who have the patience.

Generally in the morning, I will either hunt a spot I think is productive, or I wait somewhere where I will not disturb birds and try to figure out where they are.

But, I love walking up and down those hills hoping to hear a bird, then having to make that decision of gaining ground or staying put...  Maybe if the bird is in a deep draw, I might side-hill down, but headed away from him at a quick pace, and get him to meet me at the bottom.

L.F. Cox is correct though.  I have scared of more birds than I have killed walking those hills...  I would hate to count the number of times I have gotten up to move because of no activity or a distant gobble, only to scare a close bird that was coming towards me....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

mikejd

Whatever it takes. They all work at different times with different birds. My preferred method is to get right in on a roosted bird I put to bed the night before and call him in at first light. Once they shut up for the morning I like to slowly walk logging trails stopping every 50 yds or so making light calls. When I do get an answer I usually set up immediately and see whats on his mind. Is he willing to come or am I going to need to dance around for a while.

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: L.F. Cox on May 09, 2014, 06:06:20 PM

Most people that call themselves run'n and gun'n run off more turkeys than they kill....I hunt slow and gun without blinds or da'coys but if I need to make a fast move I can.
+1 :z-winnersmiley: I hunt the same way.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Gooserbat

True that.  Walk and Gun is the right way to do it.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

silvestris

Agree 100%.  While I may call occasionally after reaching a spot, I don't like the long term impact on the birds that the run and gun tactic usually produces.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game