Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Okay here's one big question on turkey hunting kinda a subject I want to see

Started by firstflight111, May 09, 2014, 08:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey harvester

I guess more in the run and gun, but I let my birds tell me what and where I need to be. Seems the older I get the harder the running,lol. Last few years I've heard them and played the waiting game with him and eventually he'll get curious.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

chatterbox

Not so much a run and gun, but a call and outflank kinda Hunter.
Get one to answer, then use the hills and terrain as a natural pick to try to get in front of where he wants to be.
Doesn't always work the way I draw it up, but it beats sitting and trying to call him to a place he has no intention of coming to.

ridgerunner

I like to scout and determine where birds roost and where they go after flydown..in a matter of a few days, before season, you should be able to know this..I will then setup before daylight in a spot between where the birds wanna be after flydown, and where they roost...If you know where they Roost and where they wanna be after they flydown..that's half the battle..I then pick a good high vantage point where i can see all around me preferably ( not always doable), and wait until the birds hit the ground, then I will start working birds..half the battle of killing birds is being setup in the direction of their travel after they flydown...if they are wanting to move north, and you're south...you're at a disadvantage. be where they want to be.

So i guess, I'm kind of a sitter, not in a blind though...if birds happen to move in the opposite direction of me, i will get up , use the terrain and make a big circle to get ahead of birds and reset....IF there is ample cover ( ie. leaves on trees, terrain features etc.) some years the trees just haven't leafed out yet in early season, this makes run and gunning very difficult..I prefer to sit and call them to me most times...but sometimes you gotta make things happen.

JLCustomTurkeyCalls

A little bit of everything, I'd say.  Situation dictates.  A majority of my hunting involves run and gun after an early morning ground blind setup goes bust.  All while, during my run and gun, to know and use natural and manmade terrain features to my advantage.  Such as a river they wont cross, or a stone wall they may not jump.  I've ambushed birds based those obstacles, the places they avoid or the strut zones they seek.  An even more advantage if you're hunting private land and know their movement patterns really well. 

I don't believe the tactic used dictates skill level, I believe skill belongs to the hunter who knows when and how to apply each of these effective tactics during the hunt.

Eric Goulet
Staff, JLCustomTurkeyCalls.com
www.jlcustomturkeycalls.com

JLCustomTurkeyCalls.com
Made in USA  Veteran Owned

strut2

Mostly a run and gun hunter. However I can be patient when I need to be!

redleg06

Quote from: chatterbox on January 24, 2015, 07:32:16 AM
Not so much a run and gun, but a call and outflank kinda Hunter.
Get one to answer, then use the hills and terrain as a natural pick to try to get in front of where he wants to be.
Doesn't always work the way I draw it up, but it beats sitting and trying to call him to a place he has no intention of coming to.

Sums it up for me as well.

There are very few times that i'll sit and try to ambush one. The exception would be if I have a bird very very scouted out and feel like that's the best way to kill him on that particular hunt. 

Most of the time, I'll ease from spot to spot until I find one to work.  Usually not in a hurry and as I'm moving, I'm doing a lot more looking and listening than I am calling. It's amazing what you can hear and see when you slow down. 

kyhareraiser

i mostly am in the woods at daylight and listen to where the gobbles come from and kinda pinpoint a couple then i go setup on one and call and work him  then if he dont pan out i go to where the other one was and try to shock gobble him , if i strike a gobble i'll try to work him too

strut2

deerbasshunter3

If I am hunting with my friend, we will more than likely run and gun or ambush, like we did last year. We ambushed for the bird I missed. We sat up against a couple of trees over a disced up field later that day and I killed my first gobbler. I think to me, and maybe it is just from how television makes it look, sitting on the edge of a field and hunting birds over decoys seems like the "typical" turkey hunting scenario. I have always enjoyed the peace and quiet of sitting in a stand in the woods waiting for deer to move around. Hopefully it will be just as peaceful in the turkey woods...or fields...

Frank G

Quote from: firstflight111 on May 09, 2014, 08:39:22 AM
Just want to see what's the popular vote on turkey hunting methods from seasoned turkey hunters in general .and what one takes more skill in the woods .
Okay number 1
to run and gun .
to sit in a ground blind and work a bird
sit and ambush them ..

not a debate Just want to see what popular .

I am a ground blind hunter .

Sent from my C811 4G

:OGani: All of them depending on conditions that day. Change "run" to "stalk" slowly! A old guy told me many moons ago: If you cover more than 100 yards in 1 hour your moving waaaay to fast. Same principle for white tail as well when stalking, works for me.  :icon_thumright:

Frank G  In Tennessee

Cutt

I'd say Run and gun, for the fact I don't ambush turkeys or use a blind. Can't understand why some like to turkey hunt from a blind? You're eliminating the best part of turkey hunting.

Triple Gobble

Live your life through Jesus, and life begins!!!!

falltoms

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on May 10, 2014, 10:01:41 AM
Quote from: L.F. Cox on May 09, 2014, 06:06:20 PM
Not sure who pushed the pestilent term "run and gun" on the turkey world.

Most people that call themselves run'n and gun'n run off more turkeys than they kill....I hunt slow and gun without blinds or da'coys but if I need to make a fast move I can.
+1 :z-winnersmiley: I hunt the same way.
ditto

Dr Juice