Okay here's one big question on turkey hunting kinda a subject I want to see

Started by firstflight111, May 09, 2014, 08:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

ilbucksndux

Gary Bartlow

mudhen

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 14, 2014, 05:24:50 PM

As for the hunters that shoot 50-75 toms a year,....I have told you ten million times not to exaggerate!   ;D :TooFunny:

Just read about a guy who just completed a 49 state slam in one season  :o

I can only imagine the bills from those hunts  :z-dizzy:

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Yoder409

Run & Gun:

Like some have said it's maybe more like "walk & gun", but this is me.  If there's one gobbling on the other ridge......... I am off and running, though.

Ground blind: 

No.  Just ain't me.  I keep a pop-up blind set up in my hunting area just as a shelter should it take to downpouring rain.  I absolutely HATE "hunting" from a blind.

Sit & ambush:

Not legal in my state.  Again.......... not me even if it was.  I want a hard-gobbling bid coming looking for my calling.

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

zelmo1

We roost em then get in tight in the morning. We listen for the first gobbles and set up accordingly. If we are unsuccessful at first light, we run and gun the logging roads and tote roads. We cover ground but do not rush. Patience is our key to working birds.

gobbler777

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 09, 2014, 04:17:02 PM
I'm a run and gun hunter.  I like to meet the birds half way.  The fun of the hunt is the interaction.
X2 - Ive been at this game for 51 years - agressive running & gunning = active hunting = still a pure adrenalin rush even at my age..
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

SCGobbler

I used to hunt with a guy that moves about as slow as he talks.  He's an old country boy from South Carolina.  I won't use his name b/c I know several of you know of him or have met him.  When I say several, I mean I have walked up on random hunters in various clubs who have seen my Buice trumpet and them say hey... do you know....

Anyway, he taught me a long time ago that if you are slow and steady and use the bends in creeks, roads, timber, etc... to guard your movement and call sparingly/lightly on a trumpet, you can kill birds consistently.

I think Frank knows exactly who I am talking about.  We aren't that close anymore, but his lessons still resound in my head.

Slow and steady, and being able to move when necessary is what kills turkeys.
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

GobbleNut

Question for all:
At what point does "slow and steady" turn into "run and gun"? 
...I guess I am confused about the "turkey vernacular"...   ??? ::)

troutfisher13111

My idea of run & gun is to cover a lot of ground fast while stopping every 100-200 yards to call. Basically I am just trying to find a hot bird quickly.

Marc

Quote from: Yoder409 on May 20, 2014, 06:58:04 AM
Sit & ambush:

Not legal in my state.  Again.......... not me even if it was.  I want a hard-gobbling bid coming looking for my calling.

Seems like a tough law to enforce...

Guy makes a small series of calls in the morning and waits it out till 3 pm and kills a bird...  He could argue it took the bird a while?

I have put myself in the place that the birds want to be, and killed a few that way...  Always called at them as they were coming...  Maybe it sped up the process a bit, but looking back, I likely would have killed those birds anyways...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

zelmo1

:turkey2: 1) Find them
                2) set up at your comfortable distance
                3) check their temperature
                4) read bird and set up a plan
                5) get em hot and then let them look for you
  This is what we do, no best way, only what works for you in your area. We hunt mostly in the woods and by now the birds are shy. If you can get em gobbling, you have a chance.1/2 the hens here are on a nest so competition here is getting more heated. Good luck everyone

mspaci

The year I had my ACL done I learned a ton about run & gun turkey hunting. Three weeks after sergery I was out turkey hunting. I couldnt go fast at all, and going up hill was even worse. I heard moe birds going a that snails pace & calling a bit. Also once I go down against a tree to work one it was impossible to get u quietly so I had to stay put. Killed 2 nice toms I would have walked by. Mike

g8rvet

To answer the OP, it depends.  Never used a ground blind - I won one in a raffle and promptly gave it away to my deer hunting kin.  I have used ground blinds I made of natural vegetation-if there is time I always pop up a little brush with my cutters. I would say I walk and strike (slow pace, calling at bends and in places where I know birds are likely to be).  Use my binocs at all fields, roads, etc.  I have ambushed a few birds in my day after hunting them and they were silent for weeks, but I knew they were there due to tracks and fresh strut marks. I got more enjoyment out of killing one gobbler that I knew was using a field based on his strut marks and I sat up and called him across the big field when he showed up one day. He never gobbled once, but I knew he was there because I was paying attention to my surroundings.  He strutted in to a load of hevi through the fog.  Far from a classic hunt, but very satisfying. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

owlhoot

Depends on where i am hunting , if a good sized private ground spot i may walk and go the gobbler some . But mostly sit and call from a blind or no blind ,callin them in is the fun part.  North Mo. you have lots of hayground and pastures, not much woods except fence lines and narrow creek bottoms and ditches, even with some bigger pieces it is rare not have neighbors who have friends or family hunting, land all broke up, 80 acres here, 160 there, 40 here, everyone on everyones boundary, just like deer season. Run and gun spooks alot of birds. If there is a hunting style that has messed up more hunts for me it is someone who tries to close the distance on the gobbler i am working. I have had people walk right by me or start answering my calls and start closing the distance on me. Sitting down is the safest method especially in the woods where another guy can get too close to another without them knowing it. Areas with roads everywhere are the worst, those who drive around looking for strutters or listening and jumping out and trying to run and gun anywhere have always been a problem. From the truck some will shoot , thats why they are in the truck instead of the woods calling.When i started in the 70's no problems hardly at all, then in the 90's videos and run and gunning guys spooking birds and busting in on your setup. Have friends that have had birds literally blown out from under them by those who sneak in and don't even call.    Truman lake area, guys walking the fence at 8 opening day spooked  the 3 toms i had working at 60 yards out this year, i was set up 300 yards from the fence, birds were further and had no problem picking those 2 out, i could see them too. I went to the other side of the place and got one at 10-11am to a sit and call setup. got lucky and salvaged that hunt.

Green Trumpeter

I would like to run and gun more but find it difficult with the small parcels of land I am used to hunting.  Keeping this in mind I do like to move around a bit.  If a bird is locked up or going away I won't stay in one place, I will try and make something happen. 
Personally I have no interest in sitting in blinds.  I have done it before but find I get frustrated and feel closed off from the woods.  When you are in a blind the interaction with a gobbler just isn't as enjoyable in my opinion.