OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Win Longbeards #5 are equal to what in Hevi-shot size?

Started by strutzone, February 20, 2014, 04:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strutzone

Does anyone know what size Hevi-shot 13 would be equivalent to Lonbeards #5?

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

duckaholic25

Punisher

Another aspect that needs to be took into account is penetration.  Lead tends to deform on impact, whereas HTL does not, therefore, (in most cases) allowing better penetration.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Punisher on February 20, 2014, 05:46:44 PM
Another aspect that needs to be took into account is penetration.  Lead tends to deform on impact, whereas HTL does not, therefore, (in most cases) allowing better penetration.

Exactly right. 

These Long Beard loads are still lead at the end of the day.  And they won't put Hevi-13 out of business either.  Some may shoot them.  But a lot won't. 

strutzone

That's great info!

klemsontigers7

Quote from: davisd9 on February 20, 2014, 04:40:18 PM
7s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, Hevi-13 isn't actually 13 g/cm^3, it's 12.  Lead is about 11.3.  No 5 lead is heavier than No 6 Hevi.

You could also just look here:
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,20425.0.html

BandedSpur

A lead 5 @1200 fps will penetrate 1.92" of ballistic gel @ 40 yds
A HS 6 @1090 will penetrate 1.79"
A HS 7 @ 1090 will penetrate 1.47"

If you ran a HS 6 @ 1200 like from a MB, it would penetrate the same as the Pb 5...1.92"

trkehunr93

Quote from: BandedSpur on February 21, 2014, 09:04:12 AM
A lead 5 @1200 fps will penetrate 1.92" of ballistic gel @ 40 yds
A HS 6 @1090 will penetrate 1.79"
A HS 7 @ 1090 will penetrate 1.47"

If you ran a HS 6 @ 1200 like from a MB, it would penetrate the same as the Pb 5...1.92"

Interesting info.  Funny how we tend to think that lead bounces off of turkeys.  If we keep our shots inside 40 yards then this topic isn't even necessary to discuss.  Alot of times I think we were better off before Bansner started doing shotgun work in the 80's and got all this stuff started, we actually had to fool turkeys into coming in close.  If it was a questionable shot then that gobbler lived to fight another day.  That's why I am back to shooting lead and only lead, it's gotten way out of hand.

Longshanks

strutzone

You could also just look here:
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,20425.0.html

Thanks  klemsontigers7 for the link I hadn't seen that before.

darn2ten

This is exactly right, and the exact reason I believe lead actually hits harder than HTL. Think about it this way. What would you rather deer hunt with, a full metal jacket or a soft point bullet? One is just going to poke a narrow hole straight thru while the other is going to mushroom and expend it energy on target. I've killed birds with #7 Hevi and wasn't impressed. Every bird I have ever shot with #5 lead has been visibly impacted harder than anyone I've ever shot with Hevi 7.

stinkpickle

I'm not even sure why they bother using copperplated shot, since the resin keeps the shot from deforming anyway. 

davisd9

Quote from: darn2ten on February 21, 2014, 06:18:18 PM
This is exactly right, and the exact reason I believe lead actually hits harder than HTL. Think about it this way. What would you rather deer hunt with, a full metal jacket or a soft point bullet? One is just going to poke a narrow hole straight thru while the other is going to mushroom and expend it energy on target. I've killed birds with #7 Hevi and wasn't impressed. Every bird I have ever shot with #5 lead has been visibly impacted harder than anyone I've ever shot with Hevi 7.

Think about this, I make a snow ball out of nice soft snow and then make one pack it together and let it freeze.  Both are identical size.  You stand 10 yards from me and I will throw the soft snow ball at you and then the frozen packed one.  Which will hit harder?  The one with give or the one that stays solid?

Soft core bullets for deer is a totally different thing because it deals with expansion and not just punching a hole through.  Also, the FMJ will hit harder it just does not do as much damage because it does not expand.  The mushroom is what you want so it will use all its energy for knock down and damage. Just like self defense bullets.

Lead shot will kill and there is no one that can say otherwise.  If you want to shoot lead then shoot it.  If you want to shoot heavier than lead then shoot it.  Good luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

chatterbox

Quote from: davisd9 on February 21, 2014, 06:54:37 PM
Quote from: darn2ten on February 21, 2014, 06:18:18 PM

Think about this, I make a snow ball out of nice soft snow and then make one pack it together and let it freeze.  Both are identical size.  You stand 10 yards from me and I will throw the soft snow ball at you and then the frozen packed one.  Which will hit harder?  The one with give or the one that stays solid?

Soft core bullets for deer is a totally different thing because it deals with expansion and not just punching a hole through.  Also, the FMJ will hit harder it just does not do as much damage because it does not expand.  The mushroom is what you want so it will use all its energy for knock down and damage. Just like self defense bullets.

Lead shot will kill and there is no one that can say otherwise.  If you want to shoot lead then shoot it.  If you want to shoot heavier than lead then shoot it.  Good luck!
Well said Donald! :icon_thumright: