Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Win Longbeards #5 are equal to what in Hevi-shot size?

Started by strutzone, February 20, 2014, 04:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jordanz7935

darn2ten

I guess will have to agree to disagree. Never once said #7 Hevi wouldn't kill a turkey, I've killed 4 with it. Just said at 40 yds. and in I personally like to performance of 5 lead vs 7 Hevi. The # 7's are the only ones I don't like, I have nothing against the # 6's and traded all my 7 to a buddy for the 6's. Now in the 20 gauge it's Hevi 6's all day long. But in the 12 with the new LB shell getting around 200 in the 10 at forty pattern density of Hevi is out the window too.

Xcal1ber

Simmer down fellers, turkey season is right around the corner, and we are almost there. Both lead and HTL will kill at the determined ethical range (40 yards) so really everyone is just arguing for the sake of arguing. I shoot Hevi Shot. You know why? Because I can. I love the good patterns it gives me, I know it will blow ones brains out, and I found some for a killer deal so I have a stash of it. I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the LB shells, but I love my Hevi. It's all in what you like to use, because you have to remember that 90% of the time we are calling turkeys in to 20-30 yards, so in that aspect, I could kill them with some 7.5 bird shot.
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Agreed.  I myself prefer Hevi-13 #7's in 3" or 3.5".  It does way more for me than lead 5's ever did.  And there is no sugarcoating that statement. 

davisd9

I shoot hevi cause I do not like to wait on a flopping turkey. :D

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

30_06

Not sure if lead #5's are equal to Hevi #7's or not, but I know Hevi #7's do quite the job for me.

Number17

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 21, 2014, 08:10:05 PM
And to set the record staight, I could care less about how hard my pellets hit a bird at 40yds or whatever distance we are talking about.  What I care most about is how well those pellets penetrate.  Penetration is what kills a turkey and not knock down power.

So you can't kill a turkey with blunt force trauma???
A baseball bat to the head won't kill them because there is no penetration???
Afterall, "Penetration is what kills a turkey and not knock down power."

I've personally had much better performance "knocking birds down" with lead compared to hevi shot. I've tried it, put up fantastic patterns, and killed a few birds with it......but the heavier and faster lead loads "hit them harder" and put them down better for me. Can't wait to try some Longbeard ammo this spring. Done for good with Hevi shot here.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

jfair

Science shows lead 5's hit harder than hevi 7's...but it doesn't penetrate as well.
Science shows it penetrates better....but, but no it doesn't.
I have better luck with lead...but here's a picture of a dead bird.
Here are some good shooting lead loads...but, but then I have to change my user name.

klemsontigers7 and BandedSpur answered the original question in posts 6 and 7.

CASH

All this crap is going to make my head explode. Sometimes turkey hunting forums take the fun out of turkey hunting.

As the saying goes, opinions are like ...... Everybody has one.

I'm not saying anybody is wrong or right, everyone of these freaking loads will kill turkeys at such and such distance, with such and such energy, blah blah blah.

If you hunt with lead fine. Hevi fine. Nitros fine. Handloads fine. Like Nike says, Just Do It.

Please stop with the damn bickering and trying to one up each other with your knowledge of lead and HTL

When I read threads like this I just want to throw my computer and iPhone in the trash. Better yet, shoot them with a turkey load.

Patterning turkey guns aside, turkey hunters as a whole put way too much time, thought, and effort into what it does or doesn't take to kill a turkey. Every old school turkey killer that came before us showed us that time and time again.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

alloutdoors

Quote from: CASH on February 22, 2014, 07:14:18 AM
When I read threads like this I just want to throw my computer and iPhone in the trash. Better yet, shoot them with a turkey load.

Which performs better on computers and iPones, lead or HTL?     :smiley-char092:

:blob10: :blob10: :blob10:

R AJ

Quote from: CASH on February 22, 2014, 07:14:18 AM
All this crap is going to make my head explode. Sometimes turkey hunting forums take the fun out of turkey hunting.

As the saying goes, opinions are like ...... Everybody has one.

I'm not saying anybody is wrong or right, everyone of these freaking loads will kill turkeys at such and such distance, with such and such energy, blah blah blah.

If you hunt with lead fine. Hevi fine. Nitros fine. Handloads fine. Like Nike says, Just Do It.

Please stop with the damn bickering and trying to one up each other with your knowledge of lead and HTL

Patterning turkey guns aside, turkey hunters as a whole put way too much time, thought, and effort into what it does or doesn't take to kill a turkey. Every old school turkey killer that came before us showed us that time and time again.

Thank you. If pregnancy was this complicated it would never happen if two people kept arguing the point.  :happy0167:

Number17

I may be completely out of the loop here, but do they even offer a straight Hevi-13 #7 or is the #7 only offered in 12g/cc?
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well I actually thought it was a pretty good thread.  That's how we learn.  I myself have learned quite a bit over the years by hanging around folks a lot smarter than me. 

strutzone

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 22, 2014, 09:25:13 AM
Well I actually thought it was a pretty good thread.  That's how we learn.  I myself have learned quite a bit over the years by hanging around folks a lot smarter than me.

I completely agree! Its sites like this that help make me a better turkey hunter.

davisd9

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 22, 2014, 09:25:13 AM

Everyone is smarter than me. ;)

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer