OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite blind

Started by jims, May 08, 2013, 12:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jims

I am in the process of narrowing down choices for a new blind.  I was wondering what is your favorite model of blind and why?  I would expect ease of setting up, durability, weight, bulk, water resistent, size/# of windows, and ability to withstand wind are all great features.  Are there any other important features?

Are some of the lower priced blinds just as good of quality w/important similar features to higher priced blinds?  There definitely appears to be a price gap difference between blind manufactures.  I will likely be using my blind for everything from turkey hunting in NE to antelope hunting in WINDY Wyo so want something that will stand up to gail force winds...and would be willing to pay more for something that will withstand the test of time...and mother nature!
Thanks for any comments!

DirtNap647

for all the more i use it im happy with my ameristep nice blind not a bad $

beardwacker

cannt help, tried blind's don't like them, but do use camo netting works great.

jims

I've seen quite a few favorable reviews for the Double Bull Dark Horse.  Does anyone have any good or bad comments on this or any others?  Sounds like some of the older Double Bulls that no longer are made are tough to beat.

rock54

my wife and i hunt out of a blind all the time...we have huntd out of my old ameristep doghouse blind and my new hub blind.....i like to hunt out the ameristep, just unfold it and go...i do not use the tent poles or stakes,i leave all windows unzipd that i have intended the direction the turkeys will come from, i have cut slits thru the mesh windows to poke the barrel thru, that way we get away with a lot more movement,as she can sit still and likes to read and text, too...

i do all the work with blind set up and decoys, so i put in extra time to allow set up every morning and still have a hour to sit in the dark and listen to GOD's daily creation unfold...

hope this helps....good luck russ

firstflight111

The double bull ,yes it cost more but well worth it ...
CUPPED AND COMMITTED

trkycaller

jblackburn

My buddy has a double bull dark horse and it is awesome. Expensive though
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

howl

Big ol' pine and the shade of a dogwood

dj-il

Another vote for the double bull.  This is my 3rd season with mine and couldn't be happier

stinkpickle

If the wind blows where you hunt, get a hub style blind.  The Ameristep Doghouse and the like are NOT good in wind.  The walls will flap and run every deer out of the field...trust me.

TurkeyTom

I faced the same choice last fall when I decided I was going to use my bow this spring season and leave my 835 turkey killing machine in the gun safe.

I looked at almost every possibility out there. I only wanted a blind for turkeys so having a carbon coated interior wasn't needed or desired. But I did want something that was big enough to allow me to move and something small enough to be able to be setup quickly and quietly.

One other factor was price...... Yep.... I'm cheap!  I loved the idea of owning a DB Blind but the cost was way more than I was willing to part with.

I looked at Ameristep and Killzone and was leaning towards the Killzone and then Dicks had a sale on the Field and Stream hub style blind and I bought that one.  It had every feature I was looking for. It is light enough to pack in and sets up very quickly and quietly.  It shooting windows are placed perfectly for turkeys with a bow. The window screens are slotted for gun hunting.

And the best part...... it was only about $115 with tax.  Did I tell you I was cheap?!?!? 

So far there have not been any turkeys killed out of it.... limited time contributes to my problem. I've had quite a few Jake's that could have been killed but I am holding out for a good Tom to get close enough. I can't seem to get them any closer than about 35 yards and I would like them at 20 or less.

Good luck with your decision..... buy the best you can afford and don't buy something because you see it pushed on a TV show. 

Uvagobbler

If money is not a problem, a double bull would be my choice.

jims

If anyone sees any killer deals on any Bull's please post a link!  There sure are a lot of positive posts on DB's but I'm trying to pinch pennies and find a good used one or one on sale.  I hunt areas w/extreme wind so probably ought to invest something pretty stout.  Thanks for the suggestions!

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Double bull or rhino.