OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite blind

Started by jims, May 08, 2013, 12:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

owlhoot

just to add a thought on mobilty and quiet setup.  the doghouse style is a lot lighter about half or better. the spring style setup can be set up within close distances of roosts or gobblin toms and very quietly with a little practice.the hub style like to pop when you set them/ the round carry style has a better profile for carry in the woods also. get rid of the velcro on whatever you get.    buy quiet and you can still gun -n- run if you want or need to. check the price too.

old3toe

Took this hen with my x-force this past fall. I love the double bull blinds

gobbler777

For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

Drthorn

I rarely use a blind..the doghouse blind is the perfect blind for me.

TN Beard Buster

If I were in the market for a blind, personally I would have to look hard at the new Ameristep Lightspeed Razor. Looks like super fast set-up and very roomy. Just my $.02

2eagles

A one man blind for gun hunting..........  Double Bull gunhunter is a great deal.  You can buy one now for 80 bucks.

hotrod3h

I have a ameristep doghouse. It works fine. Only like using in the rain. Thinking of getting a new one because as much as I try I can't master folding this thing! Watched videos, tried having friends show me.  >:(

jims

Thanks for the posts guys!  I still haven't made up my mind.  I've hardly heard of anyone that doesn't like double bull or primos.  I've done a little bit more searching around.  Although the Blind Bull seems to get rave reviews I am also considering a Primos Double Wide.   I think I read in other posts that the DW has made a few small improvements over the already good Blind Bull?  I don't think the BB is even made any more and may be difficult to find new?  Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the DW vs BB?

ads1

Just a couple of considerations on blinds. Weight and size can be an issue if you have to carry them around. If you anticipate a rain and hunt on private land you can set them up ahead of time and leave them. Secondly is the issue of setting them up. Most are fairly easy to set up. The Ameristep Razer is quick as is the Ameristep Doghouse. Hub style blinds are not difficult but take a little more time to set up (talking about Primos and Ameristep hub styles), but they seem to be more sturdy. They are also more bulky and not conducive to carrying around. So there are advantages and disadvantages of each style.

I like to use a blind if there is bad weather and I set up ahead of the hunt based on the weather. If I had to carry one it would be the Ameristep Doghouse. It is light and if you practice it can be coiled up in just a couple of minutes and carried like a back pack. The Razer rolls up be is still around 4 feet long and more bulky.

The only way to really decide what kind of blind to use is to get a couple of different types and decide for yourself.
Terry E. Kiser from Southeastern Illinois

jims

Those are some great suggestions ads1!  It would be nice to have a couple blinds.  I have a few antelope waterhole blinds that I built myself out of mesh wire, t-posts, burlap, and lined with black weed fabric that I can set up for several months at a time.  They withstand wind and rain very well...but obviously take a while to set up.  It would be nice to have several portable blind options!  I'll have to keep my eyes open for sales!

A possible third option is a stake out blind for "run and gun" style hunting.....that I tend to do quite a bit.  It would be even quicker to set up in a moment's notice.  I would be curious if anyone has any particular stake out models they had success or failure with?  There are umbrella and material that is stretched between posts.  I imagine it wouldn't be to terribly hard to make my own but they are pretty reasonably priced to begin with.

ads1

Here is a Primos stake blind that is 2 feet long and telescopes to approximately 4 feet. It has ample length and each end has eyelets for tie down. It is light and rolls up in less than a minute.

ads1

Here is the blind rolled out on the floor.

jims

Ads1, Have you used the stand up blind much?  Do you think it would go up quicker and easier than say the doghouse blind?  It sure would be nice for hauling around with possible quick set up.

Here's another standup blind that I found.  It's called a rhino cut and run.  It's almost a hybrid between a stand up and hub blind.  I imagine it wouldn't flap in the wind like a regular stand up blind plus it has shooting holes/mesh that would work well for bowhunting.  I imagine each different blind has it's advantages!  http://www.boatmartusa.com/products/Rhino-Blinds-Cut&Run-Ground-Blind.html

ads1

I have used both. The stand up blind works better than a doghouse. I use a doghouse when there is bad weather. Otherwise I like to snuggle up in some vegetation and a stand up blind. Good luck.

jims

The more I look the more confused I get!  I guess I should get one of each!  Here's another standup style that looks great for running and gunning!  They have a 1 or 2 person.  The 1 person only weighs around 2 lbs.  Some of the reviews complainted that they don't stand up very well in high winds...which I doubt any standup type would do very well.   I would expect the hoops to possibly do a little better than some of the standups that have material sewn onto stakes.  http://www.ameristep.com/blinds/jakehouse.html