turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

tips for using a long box?

Started by mebe007, March 04, 2013, 07:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mebe007

ok guys i just received a custom long box i ordered a little while ago. I was super excited about this sycamore with walnut lid box. i understand how to use a short box both yelping and cutting but i just cannot get turkey out of this box. does anyone have any tips? ive asked the maker but he hasnt seemed to helpful as of yet.

willy8457

There is a video of Marlin Watkins on you tube about how to run a boat Paddle You should watch

TRKYHTR

It shouldn't be much different than the short box other than a little bit longer strokes. Good luck with it,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

mebe007

i keep trying and i just cannot manage to get a good rollover in the yelp at all. started off by watching dan wittenburgs video.

mebe007

ok so i scuffed the bottom of the paddle with some paper and re chalked it and im able to get a rollover. it just sounds way different than i am used to. it does cut like a mad man though. however i have had zero response back from the call maker which is again the most upsetting part. everything up to ordering and purchasing the call was satisfactory. then he asked me for my phone # midway through to text pics of the call. pics never showed. then one day the call just showed up no communication about it being done or on the way. starting to wonder if i should file a dispute through paypal or something since he has not gotten back to me with anything more than an insult. really blows.

USMC0331

I hate to hear that has happened to you. I have bought and talked to several of the call makers on this form and everyone of them has been excellent with there calls and their willingness to help me run their call.

mebe007

This guy acts like I insulted him by simply saying i couldnt find the turkey in it, and then asking if he had any tips.

USMC0331

Its like the others stated, it works just like a short box so the sound should come very easy. I wish I could help.

tripleCBoykins

Return the box and request a refund! Then find a better call maker.........

mebe007

i could if he would return communication to me.

mebe007

ok so he finally got back to me with tips on how to play it. and it does sound a bit better. now heads up im no expert so no judging. how do you guys think it sounds?

TRKYHTR

Sounds like poo. I agree with tripleCboykins.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

VanHelden Game Calls

Return.

No turkey and poor transaction.

goldenhunter

oooh that does stink. Any callmaker worth his salt would return your money or exchange the call. I hope it's not a callmaker on here.

C_W

I'm pretty sure, no I'm very sure a long box is not played the same way as a shorty.

Every good long box I've ever laid my hands on would sound like poo if you didn't tip the lid like they are designed to do. Wondering who's long boxes all you guys are using that play just like a short box? Do they have springs in them?

Hold the box in you left hand, your thumb should be on the left side of the box, and your fingers wrap around onto the handle portion.Try opening the box up twice as far as you do with your best short box, now with your right thumb on the top side of the paddle and your fingers on the bottom tilt the lid in the direction of the stroke. To play the right side of the box tilt it left, the opposite for the left. Swing the paddle slowly to see if the pitch rolls over. It should start with a high note and carry about 1/3 of the way closed, then it should break over to the med and low part of the rasp. It's a longer box than a shorty so it will take a longer faster stroke than you used to. Neil Cost even said something in his video on playing a long box that they sound like junk close up but 50 yards away they are pure turkey. If it has a spring between the lid and box disregard all that you just read because it don't apply. Then it's not a long box in the true sense and is only a long short box.

CW