OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

tips for using a long box?

Started by mebe007, March 04, 2013, 07:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mebe007

I am titlting the lid when i play it. here are the recommendations which he gave me

Ok hold the box in left hand. Hold the paddle between the index and middle fingers. Move paddle out a couple of inches ... 2 or 3 inches and with slight pressure bring paddle to you. The amount if pressure makes all the difference. If you tighten the screw do it in very small amounts... Like 1/16 turn at a time. When I finished tuning your call I tuned it without any chalk. I know it will sound as good or better with chalk. Try that...it does take a little time to get really good on it. One other thing...when you bring in the paddle towards you slightly roll the paddle with your index and middle fingers by lowering your index finger and raise middle finger like a swivel.... Only very slightly. With practice you will get the proper roll over with on smooth motion

all in all im really torn with what to do here.

Swim-Bait

If you don't like it, send it back.  Keep on the guy about it.  Who made the call?  If the guy is proud of his work and is a good call maker; he should have no problem with you mentioning his name on here.  Help other guys out!  That way we don't make the same mistake.  I've bought calls from a couple guys on here so far.  I'm new to turkey hunting.  They guys I've dealt with so far have been very nice, helpful; and I've been more than happy with the calls I've received.  They've been easy to use as well.  Good luck.

:gobble:

mebe007

The reason I have yet to mention any names in public are because I may have received a bad call or USPS damaged it, who knows, but the fact is the seller deserves the right to make things right before being slandered. I have an email out about returning the call which is my last step before releasing info to public. I feel its only fair and the respectful way to handle the situation

-Mark

letinmfly

Mark,

Send it back bud.  It sounds awful!!!  :newmascot:
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

VanHelden Game Calls

Quote from: mebe007 on March 06, 2013, 11:14:12 AM
The reason I have yet to mention any names in public are because I may have received a bad call or USPS damaged it, who knows, but the fact is the seller deserves the right to make things right before being slandered. I have an email out about returning the call which is my last step before releasing info to public. I feel its only fair and the respectful way to handle the situation

-Mark

As a fellow call maker I think this is the perfect way to handle it, wish more people think this way :happy0064:

tripleCBoykins

Quote from: mebe007 on March 06, 2013, 11:14:12 AM

-Mark
Excellent choice, I've never made a box in that combo. So I can't really go on the the combo. A long box should have three sound a KEe, yaw and yalp. That call ain't got any kee kee in it at all from what I heard. That would have been fire wood in my shop.

mebe007

Well he offered for me to trade in for any call in his lineup, I declined and asked for a refund and he already issued it to me. So now to find someone to make me a longbox, one which i can afford would be good lol, well as long as it speaks turkey. I dont think a wittenburg or watkins is in the books at this time. Does anyone have any suggestions?

BTW everyone has been a great help and I really appreciate it.

Swim-Bait

Very good to hear.  Glad it worked out.  Mike Crooks, "Gobblez" here; makes a very nice long box.  I have one and love it.  Very easy to use and sounds amazing.  He makes them in a variety of woods and most sell for around $50.  His company is Spring Creek Turkey Calls.  Can't go wrong IMO.

:gobble:

TRKYHTR

Quote from: mebe007 on March 06, 2013, 12:19:15 PM
Well he offered for me to trade in for any call in his lineup, I declined and asked for a refund and he already issued it to me. So now to find someone to make me a longbox, one which i can afford would be good lol, well as long as it speaks turkey. I dont think a wittenburg or watkins is in the books at this time. Does anyone have any suggestions?

BTW everyone has been a great help and I really appreciate it.

I would get a Twisting Creek(McKamey) or Bob Fulcher Long box. They are both reasonable and sound great. Jeff McKamey won the long box division this year at Nashville and is a down right nice guy.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

mebe007

I have an email out to Bob. Talked with Jeff and unfortunately he has an 8 month waiting list so that does me no good for season. seems i got burned in more than one way as instead of being on this guys list i could have been on his. I have been talking with marlin watkins as well but his calls are a little out of my price range so i really dont know what to do here.

gaswamp

done been down the road you are on years before.  Get on Steve Mann's list and save your dollars.  It will be worth it.

letinmfly

Mark,

If you want a real good sounding longbox get a hold of Al at SS Custom Calls.  Reasonably priced with an exceptional sound.  You won't be waiting long for it either.
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

mossyoakpro

Beardhunter makes some of the best long boxes I have heard.....very reasonable and full of turkey.

Sent from my 8 point bonus bird picture taking device

Phillippians 4:13

TRKYHTR

Quote from: letinmfly on March 06, 2013, 09:38:27 PM
Mark,

If you want a real good sounding longbox get a hold of Al at SS Custom Calls.  Reasonably priced with an exceptional sound.  You won't be waiting long for it either.
I agree with this as well. I should have mentioned Al and Josh with my first post.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck