OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A Little Rattled . . .

Started by HARDCORE, April 11, 2012, 09:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HARDCORE

This morning started off just like every morning has since our season started, alarm went off at 3:10, got out of bed, put on my uniform, checked out OG, fired up the Dura Max, headed south to pick up my brother (Flydown), then make the 65-70 mile trek to one of the farms. At this point it's a routine I could probably preform blind folded and or asleep.  :)

We decided the night before that the cotton farm would be our destination, once there, we headed to one of our listening spots.

It was still early, about 30-40 Min's before first light when we parked the buggy, then walked the last hundred yards or so to the spot.

We were both setting out our loungers in the hedge row when something we've all thought about one time or another, happened.

It never rattled until I put my hand on it, Immediately I said "stand up, its a rattler". We stood until daylight, then sat down.

The rest is history.

HC 

Spring_Woods

Oh my, you touched it?
Did the hairs in your neck stand up?
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

WFI79

That's a little too close for comfort.. Glad everyones OK.  Up North we don't have them to worry about, I've heard people say rattlers are around hear but in 32 years I've never seen one.  I'd like to keep it that way too.   

bcc2011

I might of sharted haha, glad nobody got bit
Brother Custom Calls

HARDCORE

Quote from: Spring_Woods on April 11, 2012, 09:32:14 PM
Oh my, you touched it?
Did the hairs in your neck stand up?

We both always wear snake boots, Chris has been struck before, in the boot and I was bitten last year but it was dry.

Makes you wonder how many we actually encounter that we are oblivious to. So far we've killed 1 rattlesnake, 1 cottonmouth, and 2 copperheads this season. Not nearly as many as usual but I'm not complaining any.

I may have to look into some sort of light. I don't use a light hunting unless I'm coon huntin but I may invest in one of those red light jobs. Today made me look at it in a different light.  ;)

HC

TRKYHTR

Thats way to close for comfort. That was a big fat snake. Glad you didn't get bit. I bet you will look twice before you pick up a stick from now on. Did you hear any turkeys?

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Wingbone

Whoooooweeee, that was close! lol

I had two encounters of the same kind last Monday. Both ended in the same result as yours.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

Old Gobbler

I would take great pride in heaving a large rock the size of Oprah Winfrey down upon that serpent and smashing its innards 1 foot into the earth

Glad you guys are okay  :mycross: 
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

pullit

I would have choked that sucker to death on heel dust when I took off running.....

CASH

Dude, you know you were trying to be like Catdaddy.  Reach over, pick it up, and shake it till it's dead.

Seriously though, glad you weren't hurt.

Nice music choice at the end!
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

handcannon

We aint worried about the snakes. We wanna know if you killed some birds!

Just kidding Ronnie. I'm sure glad you did not get the double barrel shank. That would have sucked.....having to leave the woods and all before they even start gobbling. Ya just never know. We all love this turkey hunting mumbo jumbo but we gotta watch out for them snaggle toothed snattle rakes!

870BkWht

Thats a seriously fat snake.  Did you happen to measure that behemouth?  I noticed in your pictures it had 8 rattles and a button unless I miscounted.  Glad you guys are ok.  Had it been me, Id have made 2 movements. 1.  A bowel movement, and 2.  A physical movement.  s@#% and run.

Roostem33

That kind of stuff will make for a uneasy hunt, glad nobody got hurt!!

Jody
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

VAHUNTER

wow. that is some scary stuff!!!
Good things come to those who wait

ctwny1

Glad your both OK...Kill every one of then SOB's.