OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Nitro Heavy Weight 4x5x7

Started by GobblinNC, February 18, 2012, 11:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobblinNC

I've got some nitro 4x5x7 h51013a shells that pattern great in my sbeII. this will be my first season hunting with them. do these shells have the downrange energy to kill at 50-55 yards consistently if needed?

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

joey46

nope 2x.  Where is all this 50 yard + stuff coming from now?  IMO no "super load" will kill consistently at those ranges.  You'll kill some, wound more.  These TV clowns now like to say "clean miss".  With a shotgun there are probably few truly clean misses at long range.  I will agree that with today's tight chokes you can get a clean miss at a very close bird but a "miss" at 40+ is not very "clean" at all.  That bird is carrying a few souvenirs.

Ctomp1974

Energy-yes
Pattern @ 55-???, it would be tough, borderline at best. Most patterns usually drop off quick after 40.
Quote from: joey46 on February 19, 2012, 06:09:29 AM
nope 2x.  Where is all this 50 yard + stuff coming from now?  IMO no "super load" will kill consistently at those ranges.  You'll kill some, wound more.  These TV clowns now like to say "clean miss".  With a shotgun there are probably few truly clean misses at long range.  I will agree that with today's tight chokes you can get a clean miss at a very close bird but a "miss" at 40+ is not very "clean" at all.  That bird is carrying a few souvenirs.
He asked a pretty straight forward question about energy out to a certain yardage. Not your opinion of how far he or anyone else should shoot. My setup still gets 130+ in a 10" @ 50, not to mention the 20" pattern. I'll take it everytime.

Clint

coyotetrpr

I think the shells will have more than enough energy at 5o yards. In my opinion, and this is just an opinion, if these high end shells don't have the energy to kill clean at 50 yards then why use them. 40 yards is not hard to get a good killing pattern out of lead and it costs alot less.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

WiLL B

That shel in straight #5's or 4,5,6's is a consistent killer at 50 yards. I am unsure of the #7's but have heard good reports of the triplex loads with the #7's in them.

GobblinNC

can someone provide ft lbs of energy for these pellets at different yardages?

fountain2

they have plenty of killing power to 50...im no scientist or data expert.  the only data i can provide is real world killing results and i have killked to 50 and accidentally past with no problems...and that was before the mega-weights.  good shells, kinda expensive. 

they have plenty of power...on both ends

joey46

Quote from: Ctomp1974 on February 19, 2012, 06:59:29 AM
Energy-yes
Pattern @ 55-???, it would be tough, borderline at best. Most patterns usually drop off quick after 40.
He asked a pretty straight forward question about energy out to a certain yardage. Not your opinion of how far he or anyone else should shoot. My setup still gets 130+ in a 10" @ 50, not to mention the 20" pattern. I'll take it everytime.

Clint

Well he got my opinion anyway didn't he.  Shooting at 10" circles at the range is a whole  lot different than shooting at a gobbler in a hunting situation.  Again IMO if you start regularly playing the 50 yard and up game you will be wounding a lot of birds.  There are still a few rifle states around.  Maybe he can try his long range shooting there.

GobblinNC

i DO NOT plan on making 50 yard shots regularly but i have misjudged distance before and will probly make the same mistake again. and when i do i want to to know my weapon is capable of killing.

Ctomp1974

Quote from: joey46 on February 19, 2012, 12:23:31 PM
Energy-yes

Clint

Well he got my opinion anyway didn't he.  Shooting at 10" circles at the range is a whole  lot different than shooting at a gobbler in a hunting situation.  Again IMO if you start regularly playing the 50 yard and up game you will be wounding a lot of birds.  There are still a few rifle states around.  Maybe he can try his long range shooting there.

Wow? Just like shooting your mouth off on the internet vs standing face to face. It is a different game. If he has a decent 10"pattern at 50" he will have a pretty good 20" pattern. The pellets don't just diappear. You're not gonna find much audience for the "don't shoot past 40 here". Just about any gun, with the right combo can get acceptable killing patterns out to fifty. He is obviously working and testing his. As far as ranting about wounded turkeys-happens all the time to everyone at some point. Most of the wounded birds are shooter error. And I have an opinion for You. "You don't seem intelligent enough to know what you don't know"

HogBiologist

There have been enough people do the math on these shells and all HTL shot.  At the velocities the Nitros are launched at, they will cary the energy to kill far beyond where your pattern falls apart.  Any Person who disagrees with this needs to post up his proof that they dont carry sufficient energy.  The "ethics" of shooting past 40 are not in question.  The question was strictly if they carry the energy to kill.  They do, and there is mountains of scientific proof to back that up.  I will bet 100% that any miss or wounded bird was shooter error.  It happens to all of us.  Dont blame the car when the driver drives into the ditch.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: joey46 on February 19, 2012, 12:23:31 PM
Energy-yes

Clint

Maybe you should spend more time at the range if you can't hit a 5" head with a 10 or 20" pattern.

As long as the load, weapon, and shooter are consistently capable of achieving acceptable killing patterns the shot is not unethical.

Furthermore, can you qualify your experience with htl loads as to justify your statement that they won't consistently kill at 50 yards+??  The laws of physics don't support your claim and neither do my field results.

Gobble!

Shoot the shells at 50 yards. If you get 100+ in a 10" circle you are good to go.

joey46

Quite touchy on this subject aren't some?  Maybe a few guilty consciences out there?  A few long range "misses" occur last few seasons?
I just watched an outdoor show (last three days) where a few 20 somethings filmed hunts in WS.  Everything was okay until the final 5 minutes.  It ended with a shot they described as, "a little further than we liked"(paraphrased).  They took the shot anyway.  Rolled bird.  Running bird.  Another shot.  Two 20 somethings hot footin' it across the field after a wounded turkey.  Ended with the picture of the two men, a dead bird (same bird? - okay I'll buy it), and the comment "this is what counts - we got him" (paraphrased).  NO that isn't what counts.  Much better to have seen/heard a "too far, we passed, left him for next year".  They already admitted to having taken 8 or 9 birds in WS that year.  The one spokesman couldn't remember if it was 8 or 9 (repeated that at least twice).  It appears this new crop of hunters is way too worried about the kill rather than the hunt.  You spend your range time working on/counting your 50/55/60 yard patterns you are more worried about the kill rather than the hunt.
I'll play this game all day Clint.  I lived in Marshall County KY for nine years and return and hunt LBL and Ft. Campbell every now and then.  I'll let you know when I'm there.  I've got a few can't miss spots in LBL areas 9 and 10.  The shots are normally within 30 yards.  Maybe we can meet up.  I'll bet you are really a sweetie at heart.    ;D