Main Menu

Nitro Heavy Weight 4x5x7

Started by GobblinNC, February 18, 2012, 11:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr16Gauge

HogBiologist

QuoteWOW

Can we all just get along?

I have yet to hear a HTL shooter bash anyone shooting lead or any lead load.  There is constant bashing and attempted debunking of HTL.  THe HTL shooters who have spent countles years (yes I said Years) researching and testing the HTL shot get a little agitated when someone (not directed at anyone) who does not know the first thing about htl talks trash about it.

There is absolutely nothing unethical about shooting to the consistant limits of your gun.  If your pattern/load is good to 35, that is the ethical limit.  If your load/pattern is good to 70 consistantly, that is your ethical limit.  The question should not be does HTL have the energy.  The issue should always be where does the pattern fall apart.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

GobblinNC

thank for the help guys. i shot 50yds today at the range and was very impressed with the 20" patterns. will post pics soon
-Martin

Larry Mac

So are some of you saying that 50 is the new 40? I pattern to 40 but feel I have a margin of error just in case. But planning on 50!  Soon it will be 60-then 70. I try to put sticks in the ground at 25, 35. 45 to give me good estimations of range .Anything beyond that I will  hope my calling skills can bring the Gobbler in closer-- or have we forgot about that important part(and perhaps most fun part) of hunting  and just rely on the gun to do our job.

redleg06

Quote from: Larry Mac on February 20, 2012, 01:25:06 PM
So are some of you saying that 50 is the new 40? I pattern to 40 but feel I have a margin of error just in case. But planning on 50!  Soon it will be 60-then 70. I try to put sticks in the ground at 25, 35. 45 to give me good estimations of range .Anything beyond that I will  hope my calling skills can bring the Gobbler in closer-- or have we forgot about that important part(and perhaps most fun part) of hunting  and just rely on the gun to do our job.

First, lets not pretend that we are all good enough to not get caught up in the moment and misjudge a bird by 5-10 yds...particularly in an wide open field. 

Second, is it more unethical to take a shot at 50 when you KNOW what your gun is capable of  or is it more unethical to take a shot you THINK is at 40yds when you DONT KNOW what your gun can do at 50?  Again, anyone that says that they are spot on with range guestimates on every bird they hunt is either lying or hasnt been hunting that long.

Also, I'm fine with someone using sticks as ranger finders, but not everyone hunts turkey like deer and has the opportunity to step off distances on every set up....matter of fact, there are very few instances where I get to a spot and actually have the chance to step off distances because Im usually moving to set up on a bird, meaning I'm trying to position myself to get one into range, on the fly and while I'd love for all of the set-ups to be well thought out that's not reality a lot of times.

Larry Mac

Redlegs-- agree with you-- guess what I'm trying to say is that with the potential to make 10 yard mistakes in distance judgment, there needs to be a line. If you say your gun will always kill a bird at 50, and shoot always at what you think is 50 yards--Maybe it might be actually 60-- or farther.  IMO lets try to get them closer with our calling skills or might as well do like the gentleman says and use a rifle

Deputy 14

Quote from: Larry Mac on February 20, 2012, 02:05:44 PM
 IMO lets try to get them closer with our calling skills or might as well do like the gentleman says and use a rifle
[/quote

:agreed:

coyotetrpr

I am all for using a rifle but the MDC won't let me :fud:
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Redlegs-- agree with you-- guess what I'm trying to say is that with the potential to make 10 yard mistakes in distance judgment, there needs to be a line. If you say your gun will always kill a bird at 50, and shoot always at what you think is 50 yards--Maybe it might be actually 60-- or farther.  IMO lets try to get them closer with our calling skills or might as well do like the gentleman says and use a rifle

Frankly, I don't care if you want to kill them with Chinese throwing stars or darts at 5 yards.

Just keep sticking sticks in the ground (id pay to watch a guy put sticks at 25, 35, and 45 yards as a gobbler burned it down on the roost 100 yards away in open timber, or while slipping in tight on one that is gobbling on the ground after flydown; let me know how often that works out for ya) and I will continue to practice my calling daily, experiment w new loads regularly, pattern my guns religiously and kill them often and when I see fit.

It's so tiring to read these ignorant comments attempting impose subjective, personal limitations on people who clearly spend tremendous time, effort and money trying to maximize the benefits of technological developments.

Go down to your local gun store and yell at 98% of the turkey hunters shooting lead with a choke that they've never patterned who are convinced that 40 yards is their effective range because guys like you believe 40 to be the standard.

flayer

:turkey2:they will get the job done if you know how the gun patterns at that determined yardage. time on a range with plenty of chokes and many shells a well built shotgun to take the abuse of the 4x5x7 nitros.

Larry Mac

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on February 20, 2012, 06:56:11 PM
Redlegs-- agree with you-- guess what I'm trying to say is that with the potential to make 10 yard mistakes in distance judgment, there needs to be a line. If you say your gun will always kill a bird at 50, and shoot always at what you think is 50 yards--Maybe it might be actually 60-- or farther.  IMO lets try to get them closer with our calling skills or might as well do like the gentleman says and use a rifle

Frankly, I don't care if you want to kill them with Chinese throwing stars or darts at 5 yards.

Just keep sticking sticks in the ground (id pay to watch a guy put sticks at 25, 35, and 45 yards as a gobbler burned it down on the roost 100 yards away in open timber, or while slipping in tight on one that is gobbling on the ground after flydown; let me know how often that works out for ya) and I will continue to practice my calling daily, experiment w new loads regularly, pattern my guns religiously and kill them often and when I see fit.

It's so tiring to read these ignorant comments attempting impose subjective, personal limitations on people who clearly spend tremendous time, effort and money trying to maximize the benefits of technological developments.

Go down to your local gun store and yell at 98% of the turkey hunters shooting lead with a choke that they've never patterned who are convinced that 40 yards is their effective range because guys like you believe 40 to be the standard.
you are correct. I should not impose personal limitations on  someone that only cares about  killing and obviously lacks the woodmanship to bring the bird closer.
I actually feel sorry that you are truly missing out on the most fun of turkey hunting, but it won 't matter for you until you change your attitude. Sorry for your loss. I am  finished here.

USMC0331

First, I would like to say hi to everyone! I just found this forum and look forward to learning and talking to everyone. In response to the question at hand. Longest shot I've taken on a turkey with the Nitro 4x5x7 was 42 yards. I generally want them a lot closer but this tom always flew to and from this field, anyways it took just 1 shot. I have killed 3 coyotes during turkey season at a little over 50 yards and the load went in and through the coyote. I have spent a lot of time and money testing this ammo in different shotguns and chokes. It is lethal past 50 yards. Hope this helps.

redleg06

Redlegs-- agree with you-- guess what I'm trying to say is that with the potential to make 10 yard mistakes in distance judgment, there needs to be a line. If you say your gun will always kill a bird at 50, and shoot always at what you think is 50 yards--Maybe it might be actually 60-- or farther.  IMO lets try to get them closer with our calling skills or might as well do like the gentleman says and use a rifle

We all want to get them closer. 

My point was that, like someone else just mentioned, 95% of the turkey hunters out there, slap a full choke of some sort on to their duck or dove gun when turkey season rolls around, go grab the first/cheapest lead turkey shells walmart carries  and then go out trying to call ol big daddy in to "ethical" range without bothering to head to the range first to even see if their gun shoots to the right POA, much less what the effective range is....all the while, shaking their heads at all these new-fangled folks that shoot these fancy chokes and heavy shot cause they obviously cant call or kill turkey without them ::)

Most of the guys that are on this forum spend a lot of time at the range patterning turkey loads and getting to know their gun's.  So when someone comes on here and preaches about guys needing to get better at calling or woodsmanship etc, without having any idea about the skill level of who they are talking to, it comes off wrong. Frankly, I dont feel the need to define what hunting is, or should be, all about for anyone else and as long as guys do it ethically, that's their business.

Ctomp1974

Quote from: Larry Mac on February 20, 2012, 09:37:17 PM
Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on February 20, 2012, 06:56:11 PM

you are correct. I should not impose personal limitations on  someone that only cares about  killing and obviously lacks the woodmanship to bring the bird closer.
I actually feel sorry that you are truly missing out on the most fun of turkey hunting, but it won 't matter for you until you change your attitude. Sorry for your loss. I am  finished here.

It is almost painful that you'd even pretend to know what someone "only cares about" or what someones woodsmanship skills are. Are you serious? Is 50 the new 40? I say it is for the ones that have put in the time to get familiar and fine tune there equipment. Just like at one time 40 was the new 30? Maybe you guys that want to hijack someones post about energy and turn it into a "soapbox session" need to change your attitudes.

Ctomp1974

Quote from: USMC0331 on February 20, 2012, 10:24:27 PM
First, I would like to say hi to everyone! I just found this forum and look forward to learning and talking to everyone. In response to the question at hand. Longest shot I've taken on a turkey with the Nitro 4x5x7 was 42 yards. I generally want them a lot closer but this tom always flew to and from this field, anyways it took just 1 shot. I have killed 3 coyotes during turkey season at a little over 50 yards and the load went in and through the coyote. I have spent a lot of time and money testing this ammo in different shotguns and chokes. It is lethal past 50 yards. Hope this helps.

Welcome aboard Marine! You picked a humdinger of a post to introduce yourself. We really don't bicker all that much on here. Just when its about politics, ethics, etc. ::)

Clint