OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Face paint or face mask

Started by Bottomland OG, June 11, 2024, 12:50:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bottomland OG

Do any of you fellas wear face paint of does everyone wear a face mask? I have always wore a face mask up until about 10yrs ago I started wearing glasses and I started wearing paint instead because they would fog up if I wore a mask.

Neill_Prater

Mask, for the most part, but I have used camo makeup. I really like the makeup, I wear glasses as well, plus it's cooler, but I often hunt multiple spots on the same day and I feel kinda goofy driving down the road with it.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Hope my foot lets me get back outside of a blind next year, it was one of the reasons for the surgery. If it does I am going to have to try to find a face paint that does not come off with sweat but is easy to come off with a baby wipe or washcloth, I had high hope for Carbo Mask face paint but it just runs off like water. Only thing I have found is the old Fred Bear face paint in the tubes that will not come off but it is not fun to try to get out. H.S. Strut is better but it can run as well. I would rather not wear a mask, I over heat as it is but it may be my only choice. Also try Cat Crap it helps with fogging, put on the paste first as instructed and they use the spray til it no longer works they use the paste again.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Tom007

Leafy face mask is what I prefer..

Turkeybutt

I did the face paint at one time but with all the Anti fog products on the market today I wear a mask.

King Cobra

In my early days I used Fred Bear face paint, it came in tubes in black, green, brown, and tan. It made me feel like I was an Indian putting on his war paint. Now I use a mask that drops out of the hat.
Thanks to all who share this great passion and the wealth of knowledge you bring to this board.

eggshell

I actually like face paint better, but a mask is so much more convenient that I quit using face paint years ago. 

KYTurkey07

I like wearing a face mask with my cap. But I had to go through a few masks before I found one I liked. I don't really like having my ears covered because in my mind I lose just the slightest hearing. The mask I wear now is real thin but I have thought about going the face paint route.

GobbleNut

I am also one who has used both over the years.
Face paint: Good for the woods but hate the strange looks from "society" that make me think that they think I might be a serial killer, so I rarely wear it anymore.  ;D

Mask:  I, too, wear glasses, and I have yet to discover a product that keeps my glasses from fogging up right about the time a gobbler gets to shooting range, so I never take the chance that is going to happen. Therefore, I wear a neck gator that I can pull up over my mouth but not my nose...but rarely even do that. (I also wear a cap with "built-in" netting that I can cover my bright-gray hair with  :D )

My solutions (two things): 
Thing 1: I have gotten to the point where I look for set-ups where I can tuck into brush or trees such that I have some sort of natural face covering. Most of my hunting is done in locations where there are trees  ;D ...and there are almost always trees that fit "Thing 1" needs perfectly.

In addition (and again, based on where I hunt), I almost always take a standing position when setting up and choose trees that I can stand BEHIND and rest my gun on a limb at "shooting height".  The added benefit of using a standing position, rather than a sitting position, is that standing generally affords a much greater degree of visibility, as well as maneuverability, for any approaching gobbler.

Now, although some might think that taking even a well-chosen standing position would result in increased likelihood of being busted, I have found no such correlation. In fact, from what I can tell in my experience, it is just the opposite. An approaching gobbler is looking for something at "hen-turkey height" when approaching the call. A sitting hunter fits that description perfectly (but looks nothing like a hen turkey), while a standing hunter (in the proper surroundings) does not.   

Thing 2: I generally take a position in situations where I can't do "Thing 1" where I am shooting off of my knee and pull my head down tight on the gun such that there is minimal "facial exposure". Even in those situations, however, I still try to set-up behind some brush that will break up my outline and allow some adjustments in positioning. If I think the need arises in "Thing 2" situations, I will also use my camo-gloved off-hand to cover my face, as well.

In summary, I have reached the point where I don't worry about either face paint or masks...for the most part.

Greg Massey

Always used a mask.

Now Cuz - Ronnie Strickland, he likes using the Halloween type face paint, he buys it cheap and has the best luck using it ... He waits until after Holloween and picks it up off the clearance rack...

Bottomland OG

Quote from: Turkeybutt on June 11, 2024, 04:55:58 AMI did the face paint at one time but with all the Anti fog products on the market today I wear a mask.
Please share a couple anti fog products that work for you. I have tried several over the years with no luck just as gobblenut.

BDeal

Quote from: Bottomland OG on June 11, 2024, 09:57:53 AM
Quote from: Turkeybutt on June 11, 2024, 04:55:58 AMI did the face paint at one time but with all the Anti fog products on the market today I wear a mask.
Please share a couple anti fog products that work for you. I have tried several over the years with no luck just as gobblenut.

None have worked for me either. I hate facemasks. I wear paint

Greg Massey

Lots of people swear by using Cat Crap anti-fog ... Amazon / eBay has it for sale ... lots of good reviews.

I can't say for myself because I don't wear glasses...

But I can see where wearing glasses and a mask is definitely a challenge. 

Dougas

I wear a mesh camo mask with the eye opening below my nose. No fogging of my glasses. The mesh is really light and open.

eggshell

I have often wondered if either was totally necessary. Never been brave enough to try and find out.