turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Face paint or face mask

Started by Bottomland OG, June 11, 2024, 12:50:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwhana

I usually use a mask, but have used anti-glare strips over the years to breakup my face color.  Easy to apply and remove and no mask to contend with.

96 Pairs Eye Strips Sports Eye Strips Breathable Baseball Eye Strips with 1 Piece White Pencil for Baseball Football Softball Fans on Game Day (Black) https://a.co/d/hLxV8GD

WV Flopper

Quote from: crow on June 13, 2024, 07:02:37 AMA face sheet is what a women in Turkey wears.
A face mask, or paint is what you wear to turkey hunt.

Face paint is also what some cougars wear when they hunt for turkey hunters

Where can I find the Turkey hunting Cougars? I would be easy pray!

crow

Quote from: WV Flopper on June 13, 2024, 09:49:19 PM
Quote from: crow on June 13, 2024, 07:02:37 AMA face sheet is what a women in Turkey wears.
A face mask, or paint is what you wear to turkey hunt.

Face paint is also what some cougars wear when they hunt for turkey hunters

Where can I find the Turkey hunting Cougars? I would be easy pray!

pick any isle at your local walmarts, except maybe the automotive department

Mountainburd

I always found it kind of odd when I saw guys posting turkey pics with facepaint on.  Apparently it's more common than I thought based on this thread.  I wear face paint in archery season and it drives me nuts trying to wash it off after the hunt. 

To me, a facemask was always synonymous with turkey hunting.  It must be a loose fitting one though.  I bought a tight one this season unknowingly from Scheels online, and it's a nightmare to wear.  I'll likely never wear it again. 

FLGobstopper

Pretty much always been a mask guy mainly because older brands of oily face paint don't seem to mix too well with bug spray. Growing up hunting in FL in the spring long before thermacells a small bottle of bug spray was about as important as shotgun shells. I do like the convenience of the mask though and spraying a little bug juice on the hat and mask is better than the face and head anyway.

Notsoyoungturk

I am a face mask guy.  I also wear glasses and still have not found a mask and anti-fog that work 100% of the time.  I have found the Mossy Oak Tibbee Flex Mesh Mask works the best for me but I will always manage to fog up a little bit at least once a hunt.  I have done paint but I but a.) it is oily and difficult to get off and b.) it makes my face hot and I don't like the feel on my face when the morning turns warmer.  That's just a me thing.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Dougas

I take the eye hole of the mask, where it goes over the nose, and elongate that with scissors so that I can wear it under my nose and since then, no fogging of my glasses. Basically, I cut a hole for my nose to stick out.

eggshell

Back when I used face paint I would apply a layer of cold creme first and then the paint. It made it much easier to clean. Also, the make up removing wipes do a good job. This thread has made me think about going back to paint, I really don't like mask.

Dtrkyman

I use a mask, but if I use paint it is Carbo Mask mostly when bowhunting big game, no issue removing it at all!

Muzzy61

I use a mask for Turkeys, but when bowhunting I use Carbo Mask or a burnt cork.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Turkeybutt

Quote from: Muzzy61 on June 19, 2024, 09:39:56 AMI use a mask for Turkeys, but when bowhunting I use Carbo Mask or a burnt cork.
I remember using burnt cork back in the day but that was a long time ago before face mask. Any camo paint years ago was hard to wash off and it left you always looking dirty.

Old Swamper

Always been a face mask guy. It's 2 main purposes being to hide my face, and to keep skeeters off.

YoungGobbler

Quote from: GobbleNut on June 11, 2024, 09:08:03 AMI am also one who has used both over the years.
Face paint: Good for the woods but hate the strange looks from "society" that make me think that they think I might be a serial killer, so I rarely wear it anymore.  ;D

Mask:  I, too, wear glasses, and I have yet to discover a product that keeps my glasses from fogging up right about the time a gobbler gets to shooting range, so I never take the chance that is going to happen. Therefore, I wear a neck gator that I can pull up over my mouth but not my nose...but rarely even do that. (I also wear a cap with "built-in" netting that I can cover my bright-gray hair with  :D )

My solutions (two things): 
Thing 1: I have gotten to the point where I look for set-ups where I can tuck into brush or trees such that I have some sort of natural face covering. Most of my hunting is done in locations where there are trees  ;D ...and there are almost always trees that fit "Thing 1" needs perfectly.

In addition (and again, based on where I hunt), I almost always take a standing position when setting up and choose trees that I can stand BEHIND and rest my gun on a limb at "shooting height".  The added benefit of using a standing position, rather than a sitting position, is that standing generally affords a much greater degree of visibility, as well as maneuverability, for any approaching gobbler.

Now, although some might think that taking even a well-chosen standing position would result in increased likelihood of being busted, I have found no such correlation. In fact, from what I can tell in my experience, it is just the opposite. An approaching gobbler is looking for something at "hen-turkey height" when approaching the call. A sitting hunter fits that description perfectly (but looks nothing like a hen turkey), while a standing hunter (in the proper surroundings) does not.   

Thing 2: I generally take a position in situations where I can't do "Thing 1" where I am shooting off of my knee and pull my head down tight on the gun such that there is minimal "facial exposure". Even in those situations, however, I still try to set-up behind some brush that will break up my outline and allow some adjustments in positioning. If I think the need arises in "Thing 2" situations, I will also use my camo-gloved off-hand to cover my face, as well.

In summary, I have reached the point where I don't worry about either face paint or masks...for the most part.

When you set-up standing up, You don't have too much problem with legs becoming weak as you wait for Mister gobbler to come to perfect range? I know I would... But the again, i'll get sore butt also if i'm sat... So nothing is perfect.  :angel9:

YoungGobbler

Quote from: eggshell on June 11, 2024, 03:40:14 PMI have often wondered if either was totally necessary. Never been brave enough to try and find out.
Same.

Dougas

I have killed many without a face mask simply because I forgot to pull it up. My bearded chin and brim covered forehead doesn't leave much to see. The hands are much more important to cover up and even then I have taken toms when I forgot to put my gloves back on.