turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's in a name?

Started by runngun, January 21, 2024, 05:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bpsmag1026

I used to carry a Browning BPS 12 gauge and my daughter's birthday is October 26th.

greentrout

My other passion is fishing. A long time ago, the common name people called largemouth bass before they knew any better was "green trout."

I work for a bank.
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

Jbird22

Mine is my nickname + 22 that's my old sports #

Muzzy61

Screen name from old message boards. Love to bow hunt and in the old days I use to use muzzy broadheads.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Yoder409

Well......apparently, 14 years ago I was at the computer signing up for another forum and I pulled it outta my hind end.   ;D

I live near an Old Order Amish community.  So "Yoder" was just randomly pulled from one of about 15 Amish surnames.  And, I'm a big block Chevy kinda guy.  Old order big block Chevy is the 409.

Come to think about it.......... I coulda just as easily been Byler348 or Miller396 or Schlabach454 or Troyer427 or.........     :TooFunny:

Oh, yeah..........  35 1/2 years as a UPS driver was 35 1/2 too many for me.  Retired last March.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

misfire

The misfire is from Misfire Game Calls. Currently working 32+ years in law enforcement, retired from one, screwed up and bout a boat, had to go back to work. Too dumb to do anything else, so I am back in it for 5 more years. Good Lord willing, I will have 2 retirements plus SS and no bills.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

cwb04

cwb04 = Certified Wildlife Biologist (certified in 2004).  Been at it since 1991 so its been awhile.  Would like to think about retiring, but after paying for 2 weddings/receptions in 2022 where my wife exceeded an "unlimited" budget, thinking about it is about as far as I get.

Beards and Hooks

Mine is way more simple than most, it's what I really enjoy doing. Chasing beards and hooks that is, hoping to keep getting better so when I retire I can chase at least a few of the subspecies.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

bwhana

Quote from: Beards and Hooks on January 22, 2024, 01:22:09 PM
Mine is way more simple than most, it's what I really enjoy doing. Chasing beards and hooks that is, hoping to keep getting better so when I retire I can chase at least a few of the subspecies.

If you keep buying all of Unicoi annually, you'll never afford retire Mark!  Or your collection will be one heck of a source of retirement funds :)

NCL

I have had this screen name for at least 20 years and if memory serves me correctly I think it is derived from I was born and raised in Northern California so Northern California Local or NCL. I retired 13 years ago, most of my adult life I was in law enforcement but toward the end of my work life I  was offered a department head position with the county and since it would boost my retirement I took it. I always
say "retirement is man's greatest invention"

Notsoyoungturk

Great thread runngun.  It has been interesting hearing everyone's stories.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

YoungGobbler

I am kinda young... 25... But I am on a Old gobbler forum... I am still far from retired... I've worked in lawnmowing/snow removal for 2 years, tree removal and tree climbing for 5 years and now I'm working as an apprentice carpenter.

runngun

Quote from: Notsoyoungturk on January 22, 2024, 02:21:26 PM
Great thread runngun.  It has been interesting hearing everyone's stories.
Thanks so much. I appreciate it!!! The folks who are involved here are what makes it such a great place!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

g8rvet

Quote from: bwhana on January 21, 2024, 07:28:51 PM
A bow hunting friend of mine many years ago started calling me that. When I asked why, he said it was what the natives called hunters in the old Tarzan movies and means the "Great white hunter" in Swahili, supposedly.  My friend also happens to be black and he thought it was funny. Stuck with me ever since.

It technically means "boss".  But is often used to mean the lead hunter or professional guide in Africa-especially today. KiSwahilli is the language of the Swahilli people (not sure if this is an old term or if it still used today). I only know this from reading Peter Hathway Capstick books about the great turn of the century African hunters and guides.  Books like Death in The Long Grass, Death in the Dark Continent and others.  Great reads of a bygone era.  Capstick to me was more of an outdoor writer than any I have read, and I include Ruark and Hemingway. 

When I read your handle I always assumed you were a Capstick fan.  One of my clients was a writer and personal friend of his and I could have met him when he lived in Florida if I had known. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Beards and Hooks

Quote from: bwhana on January 22, 2024, 01:50:22 PM
Quote from: Beards and Hooks on January 22, 2024, 01:22:09 PM

If you keep buying all of Unicoi annually, you'll never afford retire Mark!  Or your collection will be one heck of a source of retirement funds :)
It's a sickness, it's gotta slow down right