OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Your state's youth season length?

Started by mcw3734, May 11, 2023, 11:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcw3734

Here in Idaho, the spring youth turkey season begins 7 days before the general opener and goes all 7 days. In addition, they can use both spring turkey tags during this time. I'm all for giving youth an early crack, but I don't know if I like 7 days and two tags worth leading right up to the opener.

How is it structured in your state?

For comparison, Idaho's youth waterfowl season is two days, a weekend, about a week or so before the general opener.

Big Jeremy

In Tennessee it is the Saturday and Sunday the weekend before statewide opener.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howieg

Mississippi has a full week of youth also . Some folks think it's to long , but I think it's one of the " few " things that I think we got right ...

Prospector

Mississippi. One week. I'm probably the only one but don't believe in a youth season at all. I took/ will take mine when its open for everyone. Taking a youth hunting is awesome, but too many (imo) use it not how it was intended to put it nicely. I guess that means my vote is too long- way too long.
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

bbcoach

In NC, we have a full week prior to our official opener.  The youth are allowed to only fill 1 of their 2 tags that week though.  I'm glad to see our DNR has seen fit to increase the length of the youth season, as it was only 1 day, 5 or so years ago (the Saturday before our opener).

fishr64

In PA it's 1 day and it's the Saturday before the regular season starts.

Gobbler428

In South Carolina it's two days the weekend before the regular season opens.

Brs2427

Virginia is 2 days the weekend before regular season. It used to be only the Saturday before season, until Sunday hunting was legalized. I would love for it to be a full week.

Shiloh

Thankful for MS's one week season.  With 3 kids eligible to hunt the youth week it would be challenging to get them all an opportunity in 2 days.  The good far outweighs the bad. 

GobbleNut

Three days here around the weekend before the general opener.  Under the existing amount of participation, I am okay with it, but I think the age limit should be for kids under fourteen rather than under eighteen, as it is here now.  There is no reason kids in their late teens should be considered "youth".

Aso, youth hunters should have to attend and pass a hunter safety course (including being able to read and display an "understanding" of the materials, and pass some sort of firearms proficiency exam...without "daddy or mommy's direct assistance".

In addition, the youth hunt regulation should include a statement that if any adult hunter with "said youth" is caught shooting (or aiding the youth in some way other than providing "guidance"), that individual will lose his/her hunting privileges for some adequate period of time such that it acts as a significant deterrent ("for life" would suit me just fine...   ::) )

Brs2427

Yes if you can drive to the hunt your not a youth. Haha

Wigsplitter

Here in Arkansas it is 2 days and opens the week before regular season - Arkansas did define a youth hunter as being at least 6 years old to 15 - they can only kill one bird - pretty good setup seems to be working

arkrem870

I support youth seasons fully. Wish they had them when I was a kid
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

aclawrence

In Alabama on my closet WMA we only get one day, the Saturday the weekend before the regular season opens. I really wish they would give us Friday and Saturday. I've got three kids and public is about my only option.  With the way my WMA was this year I'm not taking my kids out there during regular season. I'm really grateful for the one day I can take one of them without worrying about some yahoos crawling in on us and doing something stupid.

sasquatch1

It's unbelievable how some of you people are now crying about youth seasons!!!

Jesus, stop blaming everything for your lack of success and get out there and get it done or go golf.

Never did I think the crying would lead to people wanting to take opportunities away from kids!! Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

And if the abuse is the reason, you don't punish all kids for it!!! What's next? Y'all want more gun control laws?? STOP shooting yourselves in the damn foot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro