News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Your state's youth season length?

Started by mcw3734, May 11, 2023, 11:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb1069

Quote from: Prospector on May 12, 2023, 05:16:43 AM
Mississippi. One week. I'm probably the only one but don't believe in a youth season at all. I took/ will take mine when its open for everyone. Taking a youth hunting is awesome, but too many (imo) use it not how it was intended to put it nicely. I guess that means my vote is too long- way too long.

I agree with you 100%.

I also can tell you (referring to another post) its not about taking away opportunities away from kids. I could careless what kids kill what. I think its a "feel good" thing that is right there with "everyone gets a trophy". It teaches the wrong lesson. IMHO

I also don't think it has a single thing to do with the decline of the turkeys. "BUT" if that was found out to be a factor in the decline, how many youth hunt supporters would still support it?

aclawrence

Quote from: sasquatch1 on May 12, 2023, 12:41:47 PM
It's unbelievable how some of you people are now crying about youth seasons!!!

Jesus, stop blaming everything for your lack of success and get out there and get it done or go golf.

Never did I think the crying would lead to people wanting to take opportunities away from kids!! Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

And if the abuse is the reason, you don't punish all kids for it!!! What's next? Y'all want more gun control laws?? STOP shooting yourselves in the damn foot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I messaged our wildlife biologist last year about the one day youth season telling her I wish we got two days and she mentioned how I'd be surprised about the grown men crying about the one day youth hunt we already had.  I guess she gets a lot of complaints about the youth hunt. I think she was all for my idea but acted like it would cause an uprising lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hwd silvestris

I absolutely support our youth season here in Mississippi.
I do question the bonehead that thought is was a good idea to open it during the schoolweek.  Typically my kids have 9 weeks test during that time.  When my son was a lil fart he could take those test early and wetake a few days to hunt.  The now 6th grade teachers aren't nearly accommodating.
My son is like me on when that time of the year comes around. We struggle focusing on anything but turkeys and baseball.
Not sure of the reasoning behind ones thought on shortening the youth season.  The stars have to align to get the lil fellas a bird. Or at least they do for us. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chad Gus715

Wisconsin is the weekend before the start of our first season, i don't think there's a bag limit either.

sasquatch1

Quote from: jb1069 on May 12, 2023, 01:08:59 PM
Mississippi. One week. I'm probably the only one but don't believe in a youth season at all. I took/ will take mine when its open for everyone. Taking a youth hunting is awesome, but too many (imo) use it not how it was intended to put it nicely. I guess that means my vote is too long- way too long.

I agree with you 100%.

I also can tell you (referring to another post) its not about taking away opportunities away from kids. I could careless what kids kill what. I think its a "feel good" thing that is right there with "everyone gets a trophy". It teaches the wrong lesson. IMHO

I also don't think it has a single thing to do with the decline of the turkeys. "BUT" if that was found out to be a factor in the decline, how many youth hunt supporters would still support it?
Oh yea, the problem with the world is kids getting to youth hunt.

Also, If it's a problem tied to declines, I'd still support it and would rather the fix come from the adult season not the kids.

g8rvet

Florida is the weekend before the season (2 days).  I do feel for folks with more kids.  I think it is fine as it is. 

I agree, any adult caught shooting a turkey during youth should have a 10  year ban - second offense is life time ban.  Or stone them on the town square.  Either would be fine with me. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Jbird22

Quote from: sasquatch1 on May 12, 2023, 01:28:02 PM
Quote from: jb1069 on May 12, 2023, 01:08:59 PM

I agree with you 100%.

Oh yea, the problem with the world is kids getting to youth hunt.

Also, If it's a problem tied to declines, I'd still support it and would rather the fix come from the adult season not the kids.

FACTS!!

captpete

Iowa has a 2 day season that is the weekend before the state wide opener. If the youth doesn't fill that tag they can use it during any of the 4 regular seasons.

Prospector

Jesus, stop blaming everything for your lack of success and get out there and get it done or go golf.

Never did I think the crying would lead to people wanting to take opportunities away from kids!! Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

And if the abuse is the reason, you don't punish all kids for it!!! What's next? Y'all want more gun control laws?? STOP shooting yourselves in the damn foot

Sir, was asked and gave my opinion. And that's all it is. Your "outrage" doesn't change my mind one whit. And your success comment is not even worth me commenting any further on. Ok, you don't agree- yours is just another opinion as well. Obviously I'm in the minority but I still have a right to express if asked....And I didn't try to shame, ridicule or force my thoughts on anyone. I also gave my reasons in a relatively simple polite way. Now I've said way more in response than your comment deserved.Good day.
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

sasquatch1

Quote from: Prospector on May 12, 2023, 03:33:21 PM

Sir, was asked and gave my opinion. And that's all it is. Your "outrage" doesn't change my mind one whit. And your success comment is not even worth me commenting any further on. Ok, you don't agree- yours is just another opinion as well. Obviously I'm in the minority but I still have a right to express if asked....And I didn't try to shame, ridicule or force my thoughts on anyone. I also gave my reasons in a relatively simple polite way. Now I've said way more in response than your comment deserved.Good day.

Maybe I am losing it, but I don't remember quoting you to elicit a response back.

Prospector

No sir, you are correct you didn't. I took it a bit personal I guess and probably shouldn't have. If you are not from here then you might not know how our "youth season" is abused. However let me say again; I may be opposed to youth seasons ; I am however, not opposed to taking young people hunting. I am also not opposed to young ( or old) peoples success so long as it is legal; even if it's not my particular "cup of tea". To all those whose participation in turkey hunting ( including youth) is both legal and ethical- congratulations and good luck, truly.
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

sasquatch1

Quote from: Prospector on May 12, 2023, 04:16:30 PM
No sir, you are correct you didn't. I took it a bit personal I guess and probably shouldn't have. If you are not from here then you might not know how our "youth season" is abused. However let me say again; I may be opposed to youth seasons ; I am however, not opposed to taking young people hunting. I am also not opposed to young ( or old) peoples success so long as it is legal; even if it's not my particular "cup of tea". To all those whose participation in turkey hunting ( including youth) is both legal and ethical- congratulations and good luck, truly.
No worries bud.

I am not a resident there but I've hunted that state all my life and do yearly, and I am grateful for the opportunities it provides me.

I have no doubt there is abuse but in my opinion, abuse is never a reason to punish the do gooders which is this case would be the kids. I believe we have to be careful of how we fix problems in all of society. To me we fix the issues with harsh enough penalties that the word spreads and people stop outlawing.

However like you said everyone has their own opinions and I respect yours.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Prospector

Much respect. Hunt in Lauderdale/Kenper counties. Got a big front porch. Would be honored to share a cup of coffee and/or a hunt anytime you happen to be in my area. ????????

Dtrkyman

I guess it's just not really a concern of mine.  I used to take a lot of kids hunting for Illinois youth season, 2 days a week or two prior to regualr season, weather was generally cold as hell and hunting was tough.

We had good times regardless and killed our share of birds.

I can see both sides but it is definitely not a large concern from a population stand point.