OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Your state's youth season length?

Started by mcw3734, May 11, 2023, 11:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowboy

Ours is 2 weekends only. 4 days total. Right before our season opens for the biggies. (Regular season). I carry our kids every year during youth season.  They have had a wonderful time every time. Usually, they will get to hear alot gobbling and the action is what keeps the kiddos interested. Also, we don't kill a gobbler every year, so it's definitely not a Slam Dunk by any means.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

sbbow

We get 2 days in Missouri.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

silvestris

Why a feel good youth season?   Heck, just take a kid hunting.  You don't need a special season for a kid, just need an adult who is willing and wanting to take a kid.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

sasquatch1

Quote from: silvestris on May 13, 2023, 02:09:08 AM
Why a feel good youth season?   Heck, just take a kid hunting.  You don't need a special season for a kid, just need an adult who is willing and wanting to take a kid.
Nobody says they won't/don't take them for regular season.

It's just nice to be able to take them while the hunting may be a little easier, less crowded, less pressured animals etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cowboy

Quote from: sasquatch1 on May 13, 2023, 03:04:36 AM
Quote from: silvestris on May 13, 2023, 02:09:08 AM
Nobody says they won't/don't take them for regular season.

It's just nice to be able to take them while the hunting may be a little easier, less crowded, less pressured animals etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Exactly Sasquatch. 

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

arkrem870

I'm not sure I'd take my child on public land in arkansas. You encounter another hunter in the woods more days than not
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

Hwd silvestris

Totally agree with Mr. Sasquatch. My son goes every time I go on the weekends throughout the entire season.  It's so much more difficult to harvest a bird while hunting with kids let along when they have the only gun.
With that being said it helps to get on birds that haven't been messed with. The adults in our hunting club have no mercy on kids hunting any particular bird. 
Also we do hunt national forest some during that week but will not throughout adult season.  Too risky for me to put my kids in that situation. 
All in all we are blessed to have a week to hunt even tho it opens during the week and on a school day.  I realize their are folks that abuse this.  Outlaws are gonna be outlaws.  I would be fine with the state stiffening the penalty as some have said.  It would tickle me if decoys and artificial blinds were outlawed as well except for youth season or while hunting with kids. 
We need a more presence from our game wardens.  We don't have near here in the south.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deerhunt1988

You know, it is pretty crazy to think a lot of us wouldn't dare take a kid out hunting on public land now days during the regular season due to what its become. Pre-2020, I would have felt WAY more comfortable doing it. Now days? No way.

"Sorry Junior, public land is just too dangerous and ridiculous now days thanks to those exploiting it for profit and organizations trying to recruit as many turkey hunters as possible".

Sign of the future times of pay 2 play. Kids in another decade or two may not even get the freaking chance to turkey hunt if their parents aren't financially secure enough to own land or have a nice lease.

Tail Feathers

We don't have a youth season here.  I wish we did, would be better hunting with my grandson.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

sbbow

Took my nephew in regular season as well we had a blast

Twowithone

1 day in Pa. Short story Game Warden stops to check youths buck he shot and the warden is congratulating the youth on his accomplishment and the youth turns around and throws dad under the bus telling the warden his dad shot the buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Kyle_Ott

Virginia has a 2 day youth hunt the weekend prior to the general spring opener. 

I have  no problem with it only being 2 days; we have a liberal 5 week season that's too long as it is.  If your kid doesn't get a turkey on youth weekend, there's more than enough time to get him/her one during the regular season.