turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

So far you all haven't been real helpful

Started by Brillo, May 01, 2023, 06:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrackeySauresRex

Stick around, keep tuning in and stick with it. When you connect.... And you will connect! We'll be here for the celebration  ;D
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

g8rvet

Quote from: Brillo on May 01, 2023, 02:21:21 PM
I actually felt better about things when I was pretty sure I didn't know before I met you all.  Then I got to thinking I had learned something but now I am beginning to understand that I don't understand therefore I do (not) know what I do or do not know.

Oh, it gets worse.  Wait until you kill your first one or two.  Then you think to yourself "I got this, I am a sure enough turkey killer" and "I will just do it like this from here on out" and then these bird brained nincomgobblers will humble you all over again.  Self doubt and second guessing are as certain with turkey hunting as chasing purty wimin.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

ferocious calls

Just get Ferocious for less than most any call you will find here. With more turkey in it than you need. Ferocious hunters harvesting all over the country these days.

Turkeyman

Quote from: Brillo on May 01, 2023, 06:31:39 AM
I was hopeful that hanging out with you would make me a successful turkey hunter.  Instead the only significant impact has been an uptick in my spending.  Maybe a marginal improvement in my hunting prowess. 
We still have a week in June for redemption but I am not optimistic.  Top secret probation for everyone.   :wave:

Hanging out with and taking advise from OG veterans will be good only as far as it goes. It MAY reduce your learning curve, but only reduce. Don't whine. Pre-season...did you find areas with birds? If not you didn't pay attention to the number one rule of turkey hunting. HUNT WHERE THERE ARE TURKEYS. As far as spending a lot of money...yes, many spend a lot. But if you only bought two or three calls and spent the time to learn using them you're good to go. There are only a thousand YouTube videos out there to teach you to call. Good luck...and concentrate on the number one rule in the future.

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Borsy on May 01, 2023, 05:06:21 PM
If you kill a turkey with your ol shotgun, but then feel compelled to add a minimum of three turkey specific shotguns to your arsenal to kill em extra, you've been "OG'd".

LOL - yep, at that point you for sure have caught the sickness.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Farmboy27

G8rvet said it best!  If you think it's a tough struggle for that first bird, just wait!  I killed a spring bird every year from the time I was 12 till I was 39. In that time I also killed birds in Texas, South Dakota, and Florida.  Some years I struggled hard for one but it always happened. Then I went 2 years without killing a bird. One of those years I can't even really say I worked a bird!  You really start to wonder if you ever were any good or just had plenty of birds to hunt and luck to go with it!  I actually got so frustrated that even after years of success I stepped away from the game for a while because I was putting too much importance on killing a bird and not enough just enjoying the spring woods. Sometimes you have to remind yourself that this is supposed to be fun. If you bag a bird great. If not, well hell you're still out there seeing things lots of people never see and walking around in the woods. Lots of people aren't able to do that any more due to age and injuries and would gladly take a bad day in the woods over what they deal with every day

Howieg

Send check or money order to my address and I'll tell you all you need to know ....

Zobo

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

ManfromGreenSwamp

Wait...this is a turkey hunting forum?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button

GunRunner

Sounds like you do not have the patience needed to learn to hunt turkeys and eventually be successful in bagging a gobbler.
Maybe you should take up darts.

Goblen

IMO. Find one lonely, and in the right mood. My recipe for success.

Greg Massey

You can PM me anytime and i will help you with all your needs and spend your money for you ... Remember again we all have your OG back ...

bwhana

Surprisingly, I just don't see enough folks touting the loud "mehhh" sound used on turkeys just like all the deer videos when those birds are running away from you like you said. It absolutely works 100% .001% of the time!

Sir-diealot

You have to stop hunting all those Democrat turkeys, all those tom's identify as hens. Had one of those show up yesterday myself.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Marc

Quote from: Brillo on May 01, 2023, 01:49:09 PM
Altogether, I am doing my best with the obviously inadequate instruction you have been providing.

Well...  Sometimes it is the teacher...  Sometimes it is the student.  Sometimes it is both....

I happen to be a self-described expert (or at least self-identified)....

It has taken me years to aquire and put to use all the knowledge I have gained... 
For instance I have learned:

That while turkeys are incapable of flying, they still nest in trees.
Hunters walking in the turkey woods are invisible to turkeys as long as those hunters are wearing camouflage and using a turkey call.
Turkeys cannot hear human voices as long as you intermingle a turkey call with those voices.
Turkeys are very friendly with owls and crows (which is why they gobble at them)
Turkeys have an excellent sense of smell, but horrible eyesight and hearing...  (Scent-blocking clothing is of utmost importance for turkey hunting)

I have much more of this useful information as well!
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.