turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Chest Packs?

Started by BDeal, March 09, 2023, 11:53:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChubCreek

I have a similar setup with the marsupial fishing pack. I added a pocket for a box call on the bottom, houndstooth mouth call packet on the front and also used 1/8 inch shock paracord to attach a small hunt comfort seat. I used shock paracord loops and used nite cam jams to attach the seat to the vest. With the cam jams I can deploy and retract the seat. Seat detaches quickly if needed. Also if you want to add more storage you can clip in a hydration pack to the chest pack. I have an Alaska Guide Creation hydration pack from a previous harness that clips right into the marsupial fishing harness.

I come from using a vest so we will see how the chest pack works. Still not sure if this is a gross over complication. I can carry up to 6 pot calls and 6-8  strikers. If you ditch 2 pot calls in the main compartment you can squeeze in 2 more short boxes.

BDeal

Quote from: ChubCreek on March 14, 2023, 11:48:28 AM
I have a similar setup with the marsupial fishing pack. I added a pocket for a box call on the bottom, houndstooth mouth call packet on the front and also used 1/8 inch shock paracord to attach a small hunt comfort seat. I used shock paracord loops and used nite cam jams to attach the seat to the vest. With the cam jams I can deploy and retract the seat. Seat detaches quickly if needed. Also if you want to add more storage you can clip in a hydration pack to the chest pack. I have an Alaska Guide Creation hydration pack from a previous harness that clips right into the marsupial fishing harness.

I come from using a vest so we will see how the chest pack works. Still not sure if this is a gross over complication. I can carry up to 6 pot calls and 6-8  strikers. If you ditch 2 pot calls in the main compartment you can squeeze in 2 more short boxes.

That looks great! Where did you get the box call pocket and the velcro loops to hold your strikers?

ChubCreek

The box call holder is a water bottle holder from Amazon. I had to modify it and make it smaller because it was way too big for the box call and it rattled around. The FHF bear spray holster also works for box calls but is kind of a pain to get the box call in and out at times. I also have seen someone on here use the marsupial bear spray holster. I just looked and the marsupial bear spray holster I want is back in stock so I will be giving that a try also.
The Velcro loops were an Amazon purchase.

Haafoo Molle Water Bottle Holder,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B391JNFD?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Range Four Gear 2-Round Ammo... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0829LSY7S?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

BDeal

Quote from: ChubCreek on March 14, 2023, 02:20:21 PM
The box call holder is a water bottle holder from Amazon. I had to modify it and make it smaller because it was way too big for the box call and it rattled around. The FHF bear spray holster also works for box calls but is kind of a pain to get the box call in and out at times. I also have seen someone on here use the marsupial bear spray holster. I just looked and the marsupial bear spray holster I want is back in stock so I will be giving that a try also.
The Velcro loops were an Amazon purchase.

Haafoo Molle Water Bottle Holder,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B391JNFD?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Range Four Gear 2-Round Ammo... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0829LSY7S?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

How did you attach the mouth call pocket?

ChubCreek

The mouth call pouch comes with a lanyard to wear around your neck so I shortened the cord and used a molle attachment clip to attach the pouch on the top. The pouch is magnetic closure and the fishing harness has a magnet on the bottom so the bottom is held down by the magnet on the harness. When you want to change calls you can swing the pouch up and see your mouth calls without taking it off the harness and then secures right back down with the magnet.

BOOSTEADY Multipurpose MOLLE Clip Tactical Strap Management Tool Web Dominator Buckle for Tactical Bag, Backpack https://a.co/d/fKV4I1V

SDK

You're making me think I need one of these!

ChubCreek

I justified the purchase by telling myself if I don't like it for turkey hunting then I will use it for trout and steelhead fishing.

SDK

Quote from: ChubCreek on March 14, 2023, 05:02:40 PM
I justified the purchase by telling myself if I don't like it for turkey hunting then I will use it for trout and steelhead fishing.

I also fly fish and was literally thinking he same thing lol.

In my defense, my current fly vest is nearing 20 years old and I have not purchased a dedicated Turkey vest or pack yet.

Dtrkyman

So what happens to your Bino's?

ChubCreek

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 14, 2023, 06:07:32 PM
So what happens to your Bino's?

Bino's would take the place of one of the pot calls in the main compartment or I would pocket them. I have not decided 100% yet. Carrying full size binoculars would present another issue.

WV Flopper

I ran the Alaska Guide Creations bino rig last year a little when it warmed up.

I bought their largest model, the Denali, I think. Added 2 range finder pouches with it. They slide on the same harness, one to the left, one to the right of the bino carrier.

The bino carrier is large enough for my 10X42 Steiners, and a few strikers. It has a side stash that I have a Diaphragm call holder in. Has a zippered pocket in the back and mollies on the bottom. The range finder pouches fit a 3" pot call.

I did reorder and got a water bladder pack, don't remember the name of it but from same manufacturer. It had a better harness, more comfy... It also has a storage area, like a very small pack for a snack or two that you can mash against a tree while set up.

Overall, this is a very nicely built rig. It is a little pricey, can't remember but a few bills. Only down fall I haven't overcame yet is a seat. I will figure something out on this later, most likely after setting on a rock for an hour and not being able to walk for two days.

Jmillwood21

I'm using the bear spray holster from marsupial for my box. It's pretty snug. Which could be a good thing. Sometimes it slides right in and sometimes and sometimes it can be a pain if it hangs up going in. Since you're really putting it in blind.

Tom007

Quote from: ChubCreek on March 14, 2023, 11:48:28 AM

That's a real clever, nice set-up. Well done!

the Ward

Great setup Chubcreek, I really like it. Probably going with that next year.

Sungrazer

Quote from: the Ward on March 13, 2023, 09:54:23 AM
Quote from: runngun on March 12, 2023, 11:56:22 PM
I just saw a chest pack that looks awesome!! Allen Shocker. I don't know how to post a link or picture but I really like the look of it!!! Y'all check it out.

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
I just looked that one up you posted. Looks pretty good and priced right. I have used
Allen brand stuff and it has held up for the money. I am wondering if the strap design
on it might get uncomfortable though with some weight in pack as it loops across back of the neck
instead of across shoulders like the other ones?

If you look at the Marsupial site they have many options for straps and mounting attachments. With the Marsupial buckle delete kit (watch the YouTube vid on buckle delete kit- pure genius) and a strap kit you could change it to over the shoulder easily. That is my plan IF the neck strap irritates me. Once you figure out what you will need Amazon and eBay also has many options available.https://www.marsupialgear.com/collections/all