turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ridiculous Spurs and beards necklaces

Started by aclawrence, February 18, 2023, 11:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

What do y'all think about the pictures the NWTF shared of the guys with the Spurs and beards necklaces. I think a necklace with one turkey spur on it would be cool but these were crazy. I would be so embarrassed to walk around with 75 or however many turkey beards hanging around my neck.  It just seems like you're saying "hey everybody look at me."  What's going on in peoples heads lol. I'm just talking about two of the guys in particular. Probably shouldn't even post but I'm bored and back on the Old Gobbler again!

https://www.facebook.com/100064394665667/posts/pfbid02KAsUdBiDkWAfYgCBRUQaGdYzUXZCAYW7351bghWAXYfk7JBSdVGYjXDgWx6vMdd1l/?mibextid=cr9u03

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

I suppose there are all sorts of reasons why some people choose to display things like that.  Some of it is kind-of artistic and shows a turkey enthusiast's creativity.  Personally, I think that people can go overboard with that sort of thing and leave others with the wrong,...or perhaps right,...impression about them, though.

Your post raises the question about what people think about these sorts of displays, though.  Do they impress folks and leave them with a positive impression of the individual,...or do they make others that don't know them just think the person is on an ego trip or, like you say, just saying "hey look at me!".

There are, no doubt, varying opinions on the matter. 

Happy

So glad I don't do Facebook! I understand collecting beards and spurs for a personal memento of a hunt. I wish i had all of mine still, but what i do have, I keep. The spurs are in a box, and the beards are in my under-construction mancave. However, I don't care if anyone sees them but me.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Archivist13

Yeah, I saw those pictures too. There has always been a one-up-man ship component to this type of thing, but I find it has reached absurd proportions. Deep down I don't care because I don't relate to those types of "hey look at me" displays. I prefer to be in the background unseen. Saying all that, I do think there is a growing trend of tackiness amongst the people who think they are important and influential. Just my opinion which means nothing.

mudhen

Meh, doesn't bother me one bit...

It's an annual event, folks get excited over it, almost like a pilgrimage for some...

Duck hunters wear bands, drunks wear Mardi Gras beads, etc..,
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Gooserbat

Cool is 11 year old Stryker Dye with a 49 set spur necklace taken by 11 y/o Stryker Dye. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

JordanKBarnes

It takes cringe to a whole new level. Walter Payton had something to say about all that I believe. It should always remain unseen. The way it's supposed to be. The conglomeration of turkeys someone has taken should be something never shown to the public eye for display or spoken of. It shows a disrespect to the lives given. It's a special thing. Keyword respect. Some get it, a lot don't.

Howieg

I guess maybe it would be ok for a young hunter to have a beard spur set hanging from there neck , or maybe a teenager to hang a couple from truck Mirror.
But a grown man ?? Laughable imo ...

Teamblue

Personally i think its weird for a grown man to wear something like that in public.  But at a hunting convention its probably fitting.  Sorta like how some people dress up like a mutant and go to a Comic book/superhero convention.  But on Monday back to real life.

aclawrence

Also while we're talking about saving beards and Spurs do any of y'all have any organization to your collection. I've always thought about maybe attaching a small tag to each one with a few details of the hunt but I haven't done it. I feel like at a certain point when you have a huge pile of beards in a box they start to lose a little specialness. If you've got 100'beards stacked up do you still look through them, can you identify them or does turn into something that's going straight into the trash when you die. Some details attached could make them more valuable for your kids. I don't know I'm just rambling now.

Kygobblergetter

The couple guys you're talking about look absolutely ridiculous and my first impression is they lack self awareness but to each their own. If that's what makes them feel good then more power to them I guess. I've gotten to where I don't keep beards or spurs anymore because they just ended up in a box at my parents house. I like my pictures from the hunt and keep the gizzard stones most of the time

Turkeybutt

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 19, 2023, 12:06:18 AM
I suppose there are all sorts of reasons why some people choose to display things like that.  Some of it is kind-of artistic and shows a turkey enthusiast's creativity.  Personally, I think that people can go overboard with that sort of thing and leave others with the wrong,...or perhaps right,...impression about them, though.

Your post raises the question about what people think about these sorts of displays, though.  Do they impress folks and leave them with a positive impression of the individual,...or do they make others that don't know them just think the person is on an ego trip or, like you say, just saying "hey look at me!".

There are, no doubt, varying opinions on the matter.
The impression I get from such an audacious display is simple.
Look at Me, I'm special! In my mind I'm thinking " You're a Goober!

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: aclawrence on February 19, 2023, 07:21:27 AM
Also while we're talking about saving beards and Spurs do any of y'all have any organization to your collection. I've always thought about maybe attaching a small tag to each one with a few details of the hunt but I haven't done it. I feel like at a certain point when you have a huge pile of beards in a box they start to lose a little specialness. If you've got 100'beards stacked up do you still look through them, can you identify them or does turn into something that's going straight into the trash when you die. Some details attached could make them more valuable for your kids. I don't know I'm just rambling now.

I have a few cigar boxes of beards and a plastic tote of legs with spurs and I couldn't tell you when or where I killed any of them, I just can't bring myself to throw them away. Same as tail fans, I don't save them anymore but my kids like the feathers so I give 'em to them.

HookedonHooks

Quote from: aclawrence on February 19, 2023, 07:21:27 AM

I've been using the small paper hang tags for a few years on my beard/spur/shell sets that get hung together to have date of kill and just a tiny bit of info to separate which bird is which as well as where it was taken. I wish all of my youth season and my fathers beards were that way once I inherited them because now they are all indistinguishable for sure.

g8rvet

I have a necklace I have made of spurs and a display of beards.  It is in my house.  I would NEVER wear the necklace, let alone in public.  Just a cool display for me.  I personally find mounting a whole turkey odd.  I have killed almost every species of fresh water duck in North America (no Cinnamon Teal, no whistling duck) and do not have a single one mounted and never will.  Not judging, just not for me.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.