turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ridiculous Spurs and beards necklaces

Started by aclawrence, February 18, 2023, 11:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerhunt1988

For those asking about what to do with beard/spurs. I keep my beard, spurs, and hull together. I fill out a label with the bird #, date, location, time and superglue to hull. I keep meticulous records of all my turkey in a spreadsheet and track every detail. Spreadsheet is for my eyes only, I enjoy looking at it and reminiscing. Info includes all the above as well as shot distance, and a short sentence on the hunt that will help me remember it. I want to be able to pick up a specific set of beard/spurs and remember as much as I can about that hunt. I don't give a dang if anyone else sees them. I have very few displayed.

EZ

I just got home from my first Nashville trip ever.
I saw quite a few of those spur and beard necklaces and really didn't give it a second thought.
I guess it just seemed fitting at an NWTF event, lol.

g8rvet

Quote from: aclawrence on February 19, 2023, 07:58:12 AM
Quote from: g8rvet on February 19, 2023, 07:47:59 AM
I have a necklace I have made of spurs and a display of beards.  It is in my house.  I would NEVER wear the necklace, let alone in public.  Just a cool display for me.  I personally find mounting a whole turkey odd.  I have killed almost every species of fresh water duck in North America (no Cinnamon Teal, no whistling duck) and do not have a single one mounted and never will.  Not judging, just not for me.
That's interesting. It's cool to see everyone has their own ideas. I have a bird mounted and it's really special to me. It's in my office. The bird and the hunt were special and I get to be relive it all the time when I look over at the mount. I think people can go way overboard with mounted animals to though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand.  I have a fan, beard and spurs in my office.  Maybe I am just a tightwad.   ;D
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Sixes

Not my cup of tea, looks like they're starving for attention. That is not me at all, I'd rather blend in the crowd that stand out.

As far as beards and spurs, I cut them off and put them in a ziploc bag and throw them in the freezer. My intention is to make a spur rope at some point and to display the beards, but more than likely, I never will

Not really any reason to save them, nor deer racks for that matter. I have no idea how many beards/spurs are in the freezer nor how many racks from bucks are hanging in my basement or piled in a big basket.

I think I have 14 bucks mounted and if I had it to do over, I would of only mounted 1 or 2 and maybe not even those. It really is a waste of money, because no one cares about them but me.

aclawrence

Quote from: Yoder409 on February 19, 2023, 08:06:08 AM
Quote from: aclawrence on February 19, 2023, 07:58:12 AMThe bird and the hunt were special and I get to be relive it all the time when I look over at the mount. I think people can go way overboard with mounted animals to though.

Define "way overboard"................ 

I think I may have a problem.   :TooFunny:
I saw a guy recently (not on old gobbler) that had something crazy like 30 or 40 turkeys mounted. I think he gets everyone he kills mounted. The saddest part was that they all looked awful!  They were really bad mounts. But with that being said he probably gets the same enjoyment out of his mounts as I do the one in my office. I'd like to get another one sometime if it seems right but they do take up a lot of space and are expensive to!

ChesterCopperpot

Dick wagging. It's just dick wagging. And of course I mean strutting around at a convention with it, not hanging up at your house.

runngun

I have a long leather string that I have a lot of spurs on of turkeys that I have killed. I wear it hunting, I look at it as my good luck charm.  If I forget to put it on, I don't feel right. It's definitely not intended as bragging for sure. I have seen several that people have made into hat bands, which looks good to me.
But hey, you do your thing and I will do mine. To each his own.

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

crow

Quote from: Happy on February 19, 2023, 08:31:09 AM
When it comes to game animals, my first priority is to make sure it is used to the fullest extent. For deer, I get every scrap of meat I can. I eat the heart, save the liver for myself or the dogs, the wife will make soap out of the fat from time to time. I try to give the hides away, and we have plenty of dogs in the neighborhood that love the bones. Turkeys get the same treatment, except I send the wingbones to a callmaker, I haven't saved tail fans for years, however occasionally I run into someone that likes to paint on them and I will save them for them. I always save a wing or two for a replacement in the back of my vest. I feel we need to, at the very least, use all of the meat. I am a pretty laid-back guy,but when I see a turkey just breasted out or only the loins and hindquarters taken off a deer, well, that ticks me off pretty bad. As far as displays go, that's a personal thing, but I personally ain't gonna go out in public flaunting anything. I hunt for me, not to prove myself to others. I have even wrestled on the idea of participating in the OG contest. But I have approached it with the intent to just have fun and enjoy the camaraderie of fellow turkey hunters, have some laughs, and enjoy the season together. No whining or griping about pictures and scores, no concern with winning or losing, just enjoying the season and appreciating the spring season. I just can't and won't make turkey hunting a competition. That would ruin it for me.

Happy, just a heads up, this kind of talk has put you on double secret probation.
I've been getting hundreds of pm's

guesswho

Quote from: davisd9 on February 19, 2023, 09:52:43 AM
I find 5 gallon buckets full of spurs much more impressive.
:D I used to wear mine everywhere I went.  But it got to be to much of a hassle in Wal-Mart.  Every time I would leave they would search my necklace to make sure I wasn't stealing something.  Plus my chain was prone to breaking, and that gave a whole new meaning to clean up in isle six.   And for those of you who say people that like to wear them in public are weird or weirdos.  We prefer the term unique. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Cowboy

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 19, 2023, 01:20:15 AM
Cool is 11 year old Stryker Dye with a 49 set spur necklace taken by 11 y/o Stryker Dye.
Quite an accomplishment.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

TurkeyReaper69

95% of my beards and spurs are in the freezer. I don't have a permanent living situation. That's where they'll stay until I have a trophy room of sorts to display them in.

Cowboy

I wouldn't do it at all. Honestly, I haven't been keeping all my fans either. Run out of room trying to keep them all. I like taking pics and keeping those for memories.  Do keep my beards and feet though. Don't display them either. I got on a roll back in my early years full mounts of my good birds and my good whitetails.  Soon realized this is impossible.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Happy

Crow,
I hope they used lots of adjectives and sentence enhancers in your pm's. Can't wait to see my name at the top of Gobblenuts $%&^ list.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

crow

Quote from: guesswho on February 19, 2023, 05:36:55 PM
Quote from: davisd9 on February 19, 2023, 09:52:43 AM
I find 5 gallon buckets full of spurs much more impressive.
:D I used to wear mine everywhere I went.  But it got to be to much of a hassle in Wal-Mart.  Every time I would leave they would search my necklace to make sure I wasn't stealing something.  Plus my chain was prone to breaking, and that gave a whole new meaning to clean up in isle six.   And for those of you who say people that like to wear them in public are weird or weirdos.  We prefer the term unique. 

Nice bling bling

Thats what my vest is missing, a custom pair of bolt cutters to get me access to some good "public" land.
:TooFunny:

Brillo

No on the necklaces because I don't wear necklaces.  I love the hat idea and have a good luck black wool hat that has a bunch of fan feathers stuck in it.  I never hunt without it.  Works best with a gobble call.

:fud: