News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ridiculous Spurs and beards necklaces

Started by aclawrence, February 18, 2023, 11:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

Quote from: g8rvet on February 19, 2023, 07:47:59 AM
I have a necklace I have made of spurs and a display of beards.  It is in my house.  I would NEVER wear the necklace, let alone in public.  Just a cool display for me.  I personally find mounting a whole turkey odd.  I have killed almost every species of fresh water duck in North America (no Cinnamon Teal, no whistling duck) and do not have a single one mounted and never will.  Not judging, just not for me.
That's interesting. It's cool to see everyone has their own ideas. I have a bird mounted and it's really special to me. It's in my office. The bird and the hunt were special and I get to be relive it all the time when I look over at the mount. I think people can go way overboard with mounted animals to though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder409

Those types of decorations aren't for me.  But.............

Remember............ The NWTF Convention is the biggest turkey hunting trade show in existence.  There's a lotta people there that make some or all of their living from the $$ they make in the turkey hunting industry.  I see a lot of those big, loud necklaces, etc. as being advertising.  An eye grabber.  A conversation starter into what a guy is peddling..........   I spent a lot of NWTF Conventions in a booth selling calls for a man who made his sole living from selling calls.  Never wore a necklace.  But I had other ways of engaging potential customers. Truthfully, those necklaces probably legitimize a guy's "turkey woods cred" to a lot of people.  Maybe not me.  Maybe not you.  But maybe to the next (customer) guy who walks by the booth. 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Yoder409

Quote from: aclawrence on February 19, 2023, 07:58:12 AMThe bird and the hunt were special and I get to be relive it all the time when I look over at the mount. I think people can go way overboard with mounted animals to though.

Define "way overboard"................ 

I think I may have a problem.   :TooFunny:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Happy

When it comes to game animals, my first priority is to make sure it is used to the fullest extent. For deer, I get every scrap of meat I can. I eat the heart, save the liver for myself or the dogs, the wife will make soap out of the fat from time to time. I try to give the hides away, and we have plenty of dogs in the neighborhood that love the bones. Turkeys get the same treatment, except I send the wingbones to a callmaker, I haven't saved tail fans for years, however occasionally I run into someone that likes to paint on them and I will save them for them. I always save a wing or two for a replacement in the back of my vest. I feel we need to, at the very least, use all of the meat. I am a pretty laid-back guy,but when I see a turkey just breasted out or only the loins and hindquarters taken off a deer, well, that ticks me off pretty bad. As far as displays go, that's a personal thing, but I personally ain't gonna go out in public flaunting anything. I hunt for me, not to prove myself to others. I have even wrestled on the idea of participating in the OG contest. But I have approached it with the intent to just have fun and enjoy the camaraderie of fellow turkey hunters, have some laughs, and enjoy the season together. No whining or griping about pictures and scores, no concern with winning or losing, just enjoying the season and appreciating the spring season. I just can't and won't make turkey hunting a competition. That would ruin it for me.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Teamblue

Well said Happy.  Complete agreement

GobbleNut

Quote from: Yoder409 on February 19, 2023, 08:06:08 AM
Quote from: aclawrence on February 19, 2023, 07:58:12 AMThe bird and the hunt were special and I get to be relive it all the time when I look over at the mount. I think people can go way overboard with mounted animals to though.

Define "way overboard"................ 

I think I may have a problem.   :TooFunny:

Uhhh,...I know I do!  A bit off topic, but I wanted to have a gobbler or two mounted back about forty years ago.  I took a fitting specimen to my local taxidermist who indicated that he could mount turkeys.  When I picked up the mount it looked like a wet chicken.   ::)

It was so bad I said to myself,..."I think I could do a better job than that!".  After stewing about it for about ten more years, I decided I was going to give it a go and mounted one gobbler, then another, and another. That led to doing shoulder mounts on my other big game hunts,...and so on.  Now, forty years later, I have what my wife refers to as my "dead room", which houses waaayyy too many mounts of various game species, including at one point about ten gobbler mounts. 

It was cool at first, but now that I am at an age where I realize I (or someone else) am going to have to dispose of all of them at some point.  ...Didn't really consider that reality at the time...  :o  ;D :angel9:

Edit: ...And yes, I agree with everything in Happy's comment above.   :icon_thumright:

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Quote from: aclawrence on February 19, 2023, 07:21:27 AM
Also while we're talking about saving beards and Spurs do any of y'all have any organization to your collection. I've always thought about maybe attaching a small tag to each one with a few details of the hunt but I haven't done it. I feel like at a certain point when you have a huge pile of beards in a box they start to lose a little specialness. If you've got 100'beards stacked up do you still look through them, can you identify them or does turn into something that's going straight into the trash when you die. Some details attached could make them more valuable for your kids. I don't know I'm just rambling now.

I keep the beards off the gobbler and put them in the shell I shot the gobbler with. I then write on the shell the date and county or state it was killed in.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

jordanz7935

Always thought the spur necklaces were silly. Kids is one thing, but for a grown man to wear one in public, why would ya?? Nobody cares how many turkeys you've killed.... Then again in this day and age, there's a lot worse things you could be wearing around your neck, I digress.

Zobo

I'm gonna don my spur necklace and my Fox vest and then I'm going to the Taylor Swift concert baby!!! (Ok, sorry I used this joke already, please forgive)
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Tail Feathers

I think they are a bit ostentatious, but then again, if you make it where else could you really wear it?
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Turkeybutt

Happy gets a little wood on the ball every now and than.
Well stated brother!

Happy

Quote from: Zobo on February 19, 2023, 09:17:19 AM
I'm gonna don my spur necklace and my Fox vest and then I'm going to the Taylor Swift concert baby!!! (Ok, sorry I used this joke already, please forgive)
Best of luck to ya! . However, I believe one of my neices told me she was a vegetarian, so even if I was a single man. That would be a deal breaker for me.

Happy

Quote from: Turkeybutt on February 19, 2023, 09:27:00 AM
Happy gets a little wood on the ball every now and than.
Well stated brother!
Swing the bat enough times and sooner or later your bound to connect. I seem to foul a lot off though

davisd9

I find 5 gallon buckets full of spurs much more impressive.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Zobo

Quote from: aclawrence on February 19, 2023, 07:21:27 AM
or does turn into something that's going straight into the trash when you die.

No, no, they go up on EBay and the winning bidder makes a necklace out of them
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14