OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pocket Knife Past / Present / Hunting

Started by Greg Massey, January 26, 2023, 10:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

What kind of pocket knife or knives do you carry?  How do you like carrying your pocket knife, in a leather belt sheath or pocket clip knife? Are you a multi-tool kind of person?  Sharing some history of the knife you carry. Have you carried the same one for many years. Brand - type was it a gift or one you inherited from a family member or friend? As a kid growing up getting my first pocket knife was a big part of growing up. The day i got my first pocket knife was just as important as the day I got my first 410 shotgun. It was all part of becoming a man. It was an exciting day getting that first pocket knife from my dad, it was one of the old now vintage US stamped Camillus knives with blade, bottle opener / screwdriver, leather auger. I still have this knife in my safe. After becoming a working man i always carried a 3 blade small type pocket knife one was old timer next a winchester brand 3 blade and now i carry a small 3 blade Case knife that my wife inherited form her dad, she wanted me to carry this knife in honor of her dad. My first hunting knife was a Buck 110 given as a christmas gift from my brother who passed away several years ago, to this day i still have a carry that Buck 110 with me on all my deer hunting adventures. This knife has seen a lot of action in the deer woods over the years. So share some history of your favorite pocket knife or knives you carry or use everyday or your favorite hunting knife.

RossAnderson

Been carrying a 1940-1964 Rogers Bone Case SlimLine Trapper for years now. Got several of em. Favorite pocket knife for everyday and turkey skinning. Got an old Boker Folding Hunter for deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Ross

Tail Feathers

I usually carry a Ka Bar Dozier with a pocket clip.  Not too big, easy to access and weighs very little.  I've lost 'em and bought a replacement and found my knife enough to have three of them now. 
I've recently become a fan of the Outdoor Edge replaceable blade knives.  I have a new one that I can't wait to try on a turkey so I may be carrying a new knife in the woods this spring.  Their EDC version has a pocket clip and is very light.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

PV266

I've got more pocket knives and hunting knives than I care to admit.  I have several Case knives, mostly from my Dad that I don't carry because of sentimental reasons.  I carry depending on what I'm doing, so it changes on a daily basis.  At work I carried multi tools but now since I'm retired I mostly edc a Spyderco manix2  or various buck knives, either pocket clips or in sheaths.

For turkey hunting I carry a Leatherman multi too they only made for a short while that has pruners, saw blade, knife blade as well as other tools supposedly geared for hunting.  Every person I've ever guided or taken turkey hunting wants to buy it off me.  For deer hunting I carry a Sharpfinger, a real old USA made one that I've had for decades. 

Nice post Greg...every knife I have has a story and a lot of good memories.

Yoder409

For years I carried a Schrade/Uncle Henry Trapper.  Then I forgot it on an out-of-state turkey hunt one year and bought the Cheapest Schrade that Walmart had.  It was a U.S. made black plastic handled, stainless lock-back.  Still have it.  But my daily carry now is a Spyderco Delica pocket clip.  INSANELY sharp.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Tom007

I carry a Remington folding Turkey Hunter. Very simple, but just right for a Turkey hunter. It has a regular blade, small pin tool to remove action pins from Shotguns, Remington Choke tube wrench for 10 and 12 gauge guns. Very handy to gut/fillet a bird, and has the shotgun tools in an emergency. Doesn't take any room, very light. Got it at a flee market many years ago.....
"Solo hunter"

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Tail Feathers on January 26, 2023, 11:00:30 AM
I usually carry a Ka Bar Dozier with a pocket clip.  Not too big, easy to access and weighs very little.  I've lost 'em and bought a replacement and found my knife enough to have three of them now. 
I ALWAYS have a Dozier in my pocket. Bet I've owned and lost ten. But during turkey season I like to tote knives that have sentimental value to me. That's just my favorite time of the whole year so that everything I do becomes a sort of ritual. That's the only time I carry the knives that normally stay in the safe. Last year I carried this old Ronnie Boydston knife almost all season. That pic was on a day last year when I'd just finished gutting a bird by a creek. Also, look at all that branch lettuce in that last picture

Tom007

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on January 26, 2023, 11:22:49 AM
I ALWAYS have a Dozier in my pocket. Bet I've owned and lost ten. But during turkey season I like to tote knives that have sentimental value to me. That's just my favorite time of the whole year so that everything I do becomes a sort of ritual. That's the only time I carry the knives that normally stay in the safe. Last year I carried this old Ronnie Boydston knife almost all season. That pic was on a day last year when I'd just finished gutting a bird by a creek. Also, look at all that branch lettuce in that last picture

What a place to take a bird Dave, great picture. Thx for sharing....
"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on January 26, 2023, 11:22:49 AM

This is awesome and what it's all about ... sharing that personal knife or knives ....

3bailey3

ScottTaulbee

I have several from my dad that are case brand, a set of pearl handle kissing cranes, and a couple more that I won't carry for fear of losing. I carry a bone handle case 3 blade trapper every day and have for had it the past 5 or 6 years. It's in my front pocket. I have a case liner lock single blade my mom bought me when I was 11 or 12 to skin the critters I caught trapping. I carried it for a few years but have since put it up. I have a couple kissing crane Halloween edition knives that have never been out of the box my mom bought for me when I was in middle school. In high school I carried a puma folding knife that belonged to my great papaw that my mamaw had given me but lost it coon hunting one night and never found it again. I'm still sick over it. For hunting I alternate between a fixed blade kissing crane that was my dad's. I used it to gut and work up 6 to 7 deer a year, plus turkey, squirrel, fish, etc for the past 12 or so years and he gave it to me because of how much I favor it and bought himself a new one. The only other one I alternate with is a handmade knife I bought when my wife, kids, and myself made our first trip to Maryland and when I picked it up I had to have it. It's my most expensive knife I've owned and also one of the most sentimental because of the experience with it.

Greg Massey

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on January 26, 2023, 11:56:18 AM
I have several from my dad that are case brand, a set of pearl handle kissing cranes, and a couple more that I won't carry for fear of losing. I carry a bone handle case 3 blade trapper every day and have for had it the past 5 or 6 years. It's in my front pocket. I have a case liner lock single blade my mom bought me when I was 11 or 12 to skin the critters I caught trapping. I carried it for a few years but have since out it up. I have a couple kissing crane Halloween edition knives that have never been out of the box my mom had bought for me when I was in middle school. In high school I carried a puma folding knife that belonged to my great papaw that my mamaw had given me but lost it coon hunting one night and never found it again. I'm still sick over it. For hunting I alternate between a fixed blade kissing crane that was my dad's. I used it to gut and work up 6 to 7 deer a year, plus turkey, squirrel, fish, etc for the past 12 or so years and he gave it to me because of how much I favor it and bought himself a new one. The only other one I alternate with is a handmade knife I bought when my wife, kids, and myself made our first trip to Maryland and when I picked it up I had to have it. It's my most expensive knife I've owned and also one of the most sentimental because of the experience with it.

A great story and thanks for sharing your knives with all of us ...

NCL

Not sure of the first pocket knife I ever carried but I still have a Kabar with bone handle my Dad gave me for deer hunting when I was 12. I remember having a Schrade when I was a kid because my Dad carried one everyday at work. He worked in lumber mills so remember he used it mostly to remove splinters.

I carry a Buck folding knife and/or a multi tool I carry when turkey hunting, usually I take both because I do not like the knife blade on the multi tool but like the tool options. I have a custom straight blade my wife bought for me 30 years ago for deer or other large game hunting. I used to carry a small Buck knife that was slightly larger than a pen knife for every day use. I lost it one time and later found it so I quit carrying it an now it sets atop the dresser.

Muzzy61

Carried a Old Timer 340T for a long time. My Dad passed a way a couple of years ago, now I carry his Buck 303.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Big Jeremy

Great thread, Greg!

My first pocket knife was a green bone handled Case lock back. I was 8, and I got it for Christmas. I thought that I had kinda been jipped on Christmas, but my dad had already planned to take me to pick out a knife at Sargent Cutlery in Florence, AL. I got to meet Jim Sargent then, and he had all kinds of questions for me in helping me pick the one that I liked the most. I fell in love with that Case lock back, and it came home with me.

Prior to that my dad would only let me handle his knives, but this one was all mine, and in my pocket every day! I carried it primarily for 15 years, occasionally carrying one of the other many knives that I had added to my collection. I always came back to that Case, though. I scuffed up the blade pretty badly while learning how to sharpen it on stones, but that didn't matter.

I lost it in 2007. I was hunting, and I did my very best to retrace all of my steps but I never found it, even after borrowing a metal detector and searching for it. I made the decision then that I would not carry sentimental knives with me...I have several that belonged to my dad, grandads, and one from a great-grandad that I would be sick if I lost, and I just don't want to run that risk. That one Case is the only knife that I have lost...so far! Still makes me sick thinking about it.

Nowadays I prefer to carry pocket clip single blade folders. I don't like them deep in my pocket, and want to be able to get to them quickly. My current every day pocket knife is a Civivi Elementum II. The blade is made of Nitro V, and has a RH score of 58-60. It stays scary sharp as well as any I have ever owned. It has G10 handles, and is pretty lightweight and low profile. I really like the button lock feature on it. If it was made in the USA (China...I know), I do believe it would be the perfect pocket knife! But, it's pretty perfect for me. I will occasionally carry a Buck 285 bantam that is the USA made version. I do prefer the Civivi, though.