OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pocket Knife Past / Present / Hunting

Started by Greg Massey, January 26, 2023, 10:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sungrazer

Dad loved knives and collected Case knives, 33 years ago I told him I liked the small Gerber lockbacks he bought me for everyday carry but they were so lightweight I couldn't tell when they had slipped out of my pocket. He handed me a 3" stainless steel lockback a equipment & supply driver had given him and said here you should be able to feel this one (it's made by Case, but says Zippo bradford,Pa). I still carry that knife everyday at work.
Around 75' the first knife I recall was a small Case 379 hunting knife, losing it on a fishing trip in 90' made me sick, I finally replaced it around 2005 and gutted some Whitetail with it which eased the sting slightly, but I still miss that first knife Dad gave me.
For Turkey, Squirrel and Rabbit I use an A.G. Russell bird and trout blade that Dad bought me in early 90's, but since Dad's passed and never got to experience Turkey hunting (I know he would have loved it) I use his same knife, and his antique Case 2 blade bone handled folder is always in my pocket on hunting or fishing trips.

RLAG

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned a havalon knife. That's what I carry so I always have a surgical sharp knife that weighs almost nothing

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MattM

Most days I carry a benchmade folding knife with a pocket clip. When I am in the mountains I carry my Skookum Bush Tool made by Rod Garcia.

Brew-Ho

I was a havalon guy but I got tired of moving it in between my rabbit vest to my turkey vest and my deer pack. This Christmas my brother in law got me an NWTF CaseXX Sod Buster Jr. First thing I did was slide it in my striker pocket on my vest. Looking forward to using it this spring.

tal

I have a Buck 503C in my pocket (medium size slim line) and their 105 Pro goes when the day may involve game. Some 110's along with Leatherman tools are scattered around in vests, toolboxes, etc

richard black

I carry an Uncle Henry two blade folding trapper pocket knife. It does the job and if I lose it I'm not going to cry.

wchadw

I carry a Chris Reeve small sebenza daily in a moonshine leatherworks front "wallet" with keys cards
I don't use this knife for hunting/skinning. I have a straight blade benchmade "skinner" with rubberized grip that I don't think they make anymore
Went to this when regular wallet was causing back/nerve problems in lower back
Never go back....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nathan_Wiles

I carry a full-size bone handle Case Trapper w/ pocket clip every day. My belt knife is a Buck Vanguard skinner.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Zobo

I have a lot of hunting knives I've accumulated through the years, but my most recent addition is probably the most special to me. My three children chipped in and got me this blue handled pocket knife. It is a Giantmouse folder in CPM 20cv steel. I love the blade shape, like a boning or fillet knife. It is very solidly built and only weighs 2.5ozs.
    Beside always carrying one pocket knife I also have an Esse Izula fixed blade in razor sharp carbon steel lashed to my vest strap. It weighs a whopping 1.8 ozs. 
    The knife in the last picture was purchased on super sale clearance. I'm a suckered for a bargain and I couldn't believe nobody wanted to buy it. It's a Case trapper with a gobbler cut into the bone handle.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Loyalist84

I carry a leatherman hunting in the spring, so I suppose that's my hunting pocket knife - all my others are fixed blades. When I was a kid I got a few of my grandfather's old knives, Richards lamppost jobs that weren't worth the steel used to make them, but they had sentimental value so they stay on my beside table with my wallet and other odds n' ends. My Buck stockman though, has ridden in my pocket since my first summer of University when I picked it up in a hunting and fishing store on my first summer in foresty work when I was 500 miles from home and needed something I could depend on. The fella behind the counter treated me with more courtesy and friendliness than I'd had in months of working in remote towns, and must have shown me every knife in the display case to make sure I got exactly what I wanted, and I've never forgotten that demonstration of care. It's nothing, just a cheap little brass and dymondwood number, but but I've peeled apples, hung deer, snipped fishing line and opened more than one beer with it over the last decade - and I miraculously haven't lost it yet!

g8rvet

I have a Case 6111 1/2 vintage late 60s, early 70s.  My dad bought one for himself, one for brother and one for me.  My bro and I still have ours, Dad does not know where his wound up.  I carry it, but not too often as I don't want to lose it now.  It has met a few deer throats. 

My dad actually sold Camillus knives at his hardware and before he sold the business, my brother and i went through and spent our whole savings at the time buying as many as we could at cost.  I have 20 or so in original boxes and cellophane,  most of them packed lightly in grease.  I pull one out every few years and carry one.  They are not worth as much as you would think and I would rather give them to my grandsons one day. 

I carry a cheapo in my vest that I don't care if I lose.  I actually carry in my truck a pair of knives I got as a gift from NWTF and they are nice for cleaning a bird.  Deer too. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Cowboy

Quote from: wchadw on January 26, 2023, 04:14:26 PM
I carry a Chris Reeve small sebenza daily in a moonshine leatherworks front "wallet" with keys cards
I don't use this knife for hunting/skinning. I have a straight blade benchmade "skinner" with rubberized grip that I don't think they make anymore
Went to this when regular wallet was causing back/nerve problems in lower back
Never go back....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like the wallet. Handy

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Sixes

I've got a ton of pocket knives, I carry different ones at different times, no rhyme or reason.

I mostly carry a benchmade Osborn 940 or SuperFreek or Griptilian or an older Case Sodbuster

For skinning game, I started using an Outdoor Edge Razorlite a few years back with replaceable blades. I keep them in the truck, vest and backpacks. They work great and are handy to use in the field or the skinning rack.

I have some custom knives but never used them for whatever reason. I like the replaceable blade knives

Snood Life

I have a Benchmade bugout I really like.

Zobo

Quote from: Loyalist84 on January 26, 2023, 06:54:23 PM
I carry a leatherman hunting in the spring, so I suppose that's my hunting pocket knife - all my others are fixed blades. When I was a kid I got a few of my grandfather's old knives, Richards lamppost jobs that weren't worth the steel used to make them, but they had sentimental value so they stay on my beside table with my wallet and other odds n' ends. My Buck stockman though, has ridden in my pocket since my first summer of University when I picked it up in a hunting and fishing store on my first summer in foresty work when I was 500 miles from home and needed something I could depend on. The fella behind the counter treated me with more courtesy and friendliness than I'd had in months of working in remote towns, and must have shown me every knife in the display case to make sure I got exactly what I wanted, and I've never forgotten that demonstration of care. It's nothing, just a cheap little brass and dymondwood number, but but I've peeled apples, hung deer, snipped fishing line and opened more than one beer with it over the last decade - and I miraculously haven't lost it yet!

I love the story of your Stockman
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14