News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pocket Knife Past / Present / Hunting

Started by Greg Massey, January 26, 2023, 10:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

Quote from: Zobo on January 26, 2023, 06:29:05 PM
    I have a lot of hunting knives I've accumulated through the years, but my most recent addition is probably the most special to me. My three children chipped in and got me this blue handled pocket knife. It is a Giantmouse folder in CPM 20cv steel. I love the blade shape, like a boning or fillet knife. It is very solidly built and only weighs 2.5ozs.
    Beside always carrying one pocket knife I also have an Esse Izula fixed blade in razor sharp carbon steel lashed to my vest strap. It weighs a whopping 1.8 ozs. 
    The knife in the last picture was purchased on super sale clearance. I'm a suckered for a bargain and I couldn't believe nobody wanted to buy it. It's a Case trapper with a gobbler cut into the bone handle.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Love that Knife with the gobbler on it, real nice.....
"Solo hunter"

Tom Threetoes

I have two that I carry one is Queen Steel #39 that Mom and Dad got me for Christmas 50 some years ago that always goes deer hunting with me. The other is a Benchmade, the model that got them in trouble with Spydeco over the hole in the blade. I had the blade lazer etched on it at the NWTF convention with my screen name Tom Threetoes.

3bailey3

husker

I bought a Benchmade Mini Bugout on a sale a while back.    It's a great little knife and it's so light it disappears in my pocket. 

HillclimberWV

I carry a camillus lockback that i picked up at an estate sale for cheap. It was in great shape just needed sharpened and a little bit if brass polish. Its with me every time i go in the woods. If its not in my turkey vest its in my backpack.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

knifeshark

Here's an older Ray Cover fixed blade that I usually carry in the spring. This particular day I found a nice patch of morels. I have many custom knives , but this knife is an old favorite

Big Jeremy

I neglected to mention above that I do use a Havalon for most of my butchering of critters. I keep it, along with several replacement blades, in my truck at all times. If I'm deer hunting deep enough in that I plan to pack one out, I carry it with me. If I'm just field dressing one and hauling it out in the sled, I just use whatever pocket knife I have on me, or a spare that's in my pack. After I get them hung at the house, the havalon comes out.

For turkeys, I always use the havalon after getting them to the truck or house. Great option for keeping a sharp blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crow

First pocket knife when I was very little was a small thin 2 blade from my Pop Pop that is an antique, 2nd  was also from him and was a Barlow pocket knife, thats what he used on the farm.

My Dad got small 3 blade Old timers for my brothers, me and for himself, I still have it. The main blade has been sharpened so much it like a needle

I carry a Benchmade Osborn Rift on a clip. I also hunted with a Buck 110 for years, my wife gave it to me before we were married, still have it. It was sharpened so much the tip of the blade stuck up when closed, filed off some of the stop and that fixed that.

For quite a few years I have only ,hunted with a couple of fixed blade hand forged antler handle knives and a couple of Swedish Mora knives, I prefer fixed blades for hunting.

Chris O

I have way too many knives to mention lol. It's as addicting as turkey calls. My favorite everyday is a muskrat model either by old timer, case, boker or others. I just really like the 2 blades on the muskrat models. I have gutted and skinned deer with them but I usually carry a little bigger sheathed knife as well when I am hunting deer .

Happy

My grandad taught me that a man always had a lighter and a pocketkife. I have always kept that idea and carry both almost every day, and I am not a smoker. I have a bunch I carry from day to day, mainly Case or Camillus. I occasionally carry my wife's grandfather's pocketknife that he gave me. It was his pocketknife he carried overseas during world War 2.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Tail Feathers

Back in 1973 I was a Jr. High kid living in Roxboro NC.  We had moved there for my father's work, he built electric power plants.  We owned a home in Texas but his work had us moving every two or three years.  So we usually rented a house.  In this case, it was a house on Lake Hyco.  We had no neighbors close, just woods, turkeys and other game...and that lake.  I was in paradise!

One summer day I was swimming down by the pier.  The landlords were wonderful people who had a weekend lake house next door that they used occasionally.  They had a senior family member over that day.  As I swam he sat on the bench near the shore whittling on a stick.  We talked some and he was a kindly old man, and funny.  After a time, he got up and walked back to the house.  I swam a while longer and noticed a pocket knife on the bench when I was leaving.  I took it to the old man, explaining how I found it.  Now I know for sure that old man left that knife.  There had been no one else there.  But he looked it over closely, turning it in his hand before passing back to me and telling me that it wasn't his.  He said I was fortunate to find a nice knife, but it wasn't his.  I smiled as I left for home with my new knife, but I knew.

I've never forgotten that man's kindness.  Over the years I've forgotten a few knives in the presence of a boy of appropriate age myself.  And if I feel the need to remind myself to be kind and generous, I go pull it out of my desk.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

grayfox

Quote from: Tail Feathers on January 30, 2023, 12:43:37 PM
Back in 1973 I was a Jr. High kid living in Roxboro NC.  We had moved there for my father's work, he built electric power plants.  We owned a home in Texas but his work had us moving every two or three years.  So we usually rented a house.  In this case, it was a house on Lake Hyco.  We had no neighbors close, just woods, turkeys and other game...and that lake.  I was in paradise!

One summer day I was swimming down by the pier.  The landlords were wonderful people who had a weekend lake house next door that they used occasionally.  They had a senior family member over that day.  As I swam he sat on the bench near the shore whittling on a stick.  We talked some and he was a kindly old man, and funny.  After a time, he got up and walked back to the house.  I swam a while longer and noticed a pocket knife on the bench when I was leaving.  I took it to the old man, explaining how I found it.  Now I know for sure that old man left that knife.  There had been no one else there.  But he looked it over closely, turning it in his hand before passing back to me and telling me that it wasn't his.  He said I was fortunate to find a nice knife, but it wasn't his.  I smiled as I left for home with my new knife, but I knew.

I've never forgotten that man's kindness.  Over the years I've forgotten a few knives in the presence of a boy of appropriate age myself.  And if I feel the need to remind myself to be kind and generous, I go pull it out of my desk.

Many good stories on here but this one is my favorite.

Bowguy

As a kid I had a knife my grandfather bought me. I don't know what became of that but eventually I went to a buck, I think called muskrat. Was a small pocket type knife. I've carried a folding hunter on my hip since I was a teen. Idk how many of them I have but a bunch. Also carried a buck small game knife with the gut hook. Never used the gut hook. Silly thing. Buck didn't make that knife themselves btw. I've got lots of Bucks in general. Today besides that I carry a Remington pocket knife. Idk who made it for them but it's got a thin blade, serrated type blade I use all the time opening things at work. A punch and choke wrench I don't think I've ever used. Turkeys and small game get cleaned by the pocket knifes. Deer hunting besides the knives I have on me in my pack is a Buck woodsman and the one I use. It's a perfect knife for deer, bear size game and it's a fixed blade. Easier to clean. When I mentor a kid deer hunting I buy an extra. Once the kid is successful we use the brand new knife to field dress it. I clean it, explain sharpening and how important it is to touch up on hard steel, than I give the kid the knife. I've still got my first knife I've used on deer. Still a prized possession. I bet it'll be that way for the kids as well. I sometimes carry a leatherman

eddie234

I got a three blade shared old time as a gift probably 40 years ago. I usually carry it in a small mesh bag in my vest that also has some other odds and ends. I carry a small multi tool as well, never know when something will need fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Cowboy

I got several that are priceless to me. Keep sakes not expensive. Got a knife my Grandpa always carried in his overalls pocket daily until the day he died. 1902-1977. I was probably 6 or so when it was given to me by Grandma. Also got an Old Timer 3 blade. Grandpa on my other side used to buy a grandson a pocket knife for Christmas when he thought the grandson was old enough.  Think there were 12 grandsons that I recall. Still got those knives but they stay in the gun safe nowadays. I have gotten to where I keep a multi-tool in my turkey vest. Pretty handy item.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk