OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ground Blinds Yes or No?

Started by Turkeybutt, April 09, 2022, 07:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumby

Fatbeard

When my kids were very small and wanted to go yes. Once they were able to sit still around 10 or so we hunted on a tree. Personally if you are a grown man and hunting birds on a clover field and killing birds on trail cam pics you could not call a turkey to range to save your life. Call the bird to with in 40 yards and bust his head
East TN Beard Buster

Sir-diealot

Before my last car accident no for turkey hunting and yes for deer hunting. Now I have no choice, I used them for both, wish I could get back against a tree though.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Tom007

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on April 09, 2022, 09:23:30 AM
Yep. Sometimes, especially If it's raining and I want to keep dry.

X2 here, I will hunt in pouring rain, but out of a ground blind in an open area....all other times, I do not use a blind.

owlhoot

Quote from: Sixes on April 09, 2022, 10:25:25 AM
I enjoy sitting in a blind to deer hunt the edge of an AG field or in the rain or the intersection of roads.

Only time I have used them for turkeys is out in a field with the blind set by a pivot for those stubborn field turkeys.

They have their benefits, I put my Dad in one last year (75 years old and getting immobile) and set up behind him and called in a group of gobblers and he managed to kill 2 that morning. He can't get up or down too good nor walk very far, so me being able to drop him off at the blind and him set in a raised chair allowed him to kill birds again.

It irritates the fire out of me when people want to "outlaw" blinds or decoys and never take into consideration the needs of older folks with slight disabilities that still enjoy hunting and love to see and hear turkeys.

Yes, outstanding post.  100% agree. Good to get your dad back out there. Ill add kids who cannot sit still to that mix also.

the Ward

Quote from: Fatbeard on April 10, 2022, 12:41:29 AM
When my kids were very small and wanted to go yes. Once they were able to sit still around 10 or so we hunted on a tree. Personally if you are a grown man and hunting birds on a clover field and killing birds on trail cam pics you could not call a turkey to range to save your life. Call the bird to with in 40 yards and bust his head
[/quote
Painting with a mighty big brush there, lol.

owlhoot

I just can't do it!
I tried hunting out of a ground blind twice in my life, once for white tail deer and the other for turkey hunting. I disliked it both times.
When turkey hunting, I want to ability to be up and on the move. To adjust my setup when needed and out-think or out maneuver a bird to increase my opportunities.

:z-twocents:

Can see that as an advantage, when a fella picks the wrong place to setup and call from or his calling abilities just ain't up to snuff that morning. The bird goes away from you and you get in front and outmaneuver to bushwhack him.

Blind or sitting against a tree prefer to call him to me, if nothing in the area , will move to go strike up one and then try to call him in though.

Zobo

Quote from: Sixes on April 09, 2022, 10:25:25 AM

It irritates the fire out of me when people want to "outlaw" blinds or decoys and never take into consideration the needs of older folks with slight disabilities that still enjoy hunting and love to see and hear turkeys.

Couldn't agree more, those people are short slighted and selfish. I too have developed some mobility issues and those that put down blind use may one day be me or your father. Excellent of you to take care of your dad and show him love.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

mspaci

CAPTJJ

As a turkey bowhunter my answer is yes and no, depending on situation, location and my desires. This year I am back to trying blindless but that often means making natural hides when I can; pretty easy in FL but a lot of work in open hardwoods like here in NY to really get concealed.

aaron

Only in extreme circumstances lol (hunting with kids in very poor weather). 

Brian Fahs

I just bought my first blind last week. I'm 57 years old and been hunting since I was 12. For deer no, I'm a stand hunter. I do have a few stubborn field turkeys who like to be very visible on rainy days. Game on.

Old Gobbler

Blinds are like mosquito repellent...use it if you need it...or don't if not nessesary 

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

TRG3

The only blind I've used during turkey season is my buddy's permanent deer hut in order to get out of the rain. I do put up a pop-up about a month or so before the Illinois deer firearm season for the purpose of staying dry, if the need arises. During the majority of the season, I prefer to wear my rain gear since I provides much better vision of the surrounding area, allowing for opportunities that develop that require either right or left-handed shots.

guesswho

When I was younger, no way!   But now that I'm getting older (63) My answer is absolutely no way.  I have always hoped my last day on earth would be spent with a tree against my back and shotgun across my lap.  No way do I want it to be in an enclosed area with peep holes.   I'm not one of those who want to see blinds and decoys banned.   In fact I wish they were mandatory for everyone except myself.  I love patient hunters who spend endless hours in a blind watching decoys.  A lot of turkeys die using that method, it's just not for me.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff