OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ground Blinds Yes or No?

Started by Turkeybutt, April 09, 2022, 07:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeybutt

I just can't do it!
I tried hunting out of a ground blind twice in my life, once for white tail deer and the other for turkey hunting. I disliked it both times.
When turkey hunting, I want to ability to be up and on the move. To adjust my setup when needed and out-think or out maneuver a bird to increase my opportunities. 
Here are my other reasons I dislike hunting out of a blind. I am most certainly not claustrophobic, but I felt confined while sitting in that blind. I disliked the tunnel vision I had while looking out several small ports of view with so many blind spots. I felt like I was missing everything around me, waiting for that chance that something might come into view while peering out one of my viewing ports. I like to see everything around me from a distance, feel that slight breeze in my face and adjust when I hear or sense something sneaking up behind me. I just felt like I was missing out on so many opportunities while sitting in a blind.
How do others feel?

the Ward

So you don't like hunting out of blinds? Cool, then don't.

lacire

Well if I have a choice I don't like hunting out of a blind ether but they can and do have a place. Like taking your wife and small child along to hunt with you, taking youngsters out for there first bird, hunting during bad weather or can keep you out of the sun or warmer on a freezing morning, blocks your movement bow hunting and I'm sure there's others, but........... this is all I can think of this early.  :morning:
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

b wilt

The first week of Ohio they are nice, it's often still nasty out and my 2 grown children and I have a blast. The latter weeks it's usually quite pleasant and I am by myself and prefer to hunt without one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ol bob

Do what you want, how you want, live long and be happy. Nobody elses business.

fallhnt

I bowhunt deer and turkey from a blind.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

TrackeySauresRex

Yep. Sometimes, especially If it's raining and I want to keep dry.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Zobo

Quote from: Turkeybutt on April 09, 2022, 07:02:34 AM
I want to ability to be up and on the move. To adjust my setup when needed and out-think or out maneuver a bird

There are different valid methods used to shoot a gobbler. Running and guning and continued repositioning is not my bag but it certainly works (Reaping and stalking is invalid in my world). This might have something to do with my age and experience but also my personality.
        I never used a store bought blind but I have used camo netting and natural vegetation to create a partial shield. I set this up fairly quickly and it allows me to use any of the calls at my disposal which is so important to me.  It also does allow me to reposition occasionally. It doesnt give you that boxed in feeling which I too hate.
      "Out thinking" a gobbler is more a function of the calling game for me than moving. Turkey hunting is all about calling for me. It's what makes this bird so special. I always say if turkeys didn't respond to calling I wouldn't turkey hunt. So I don't see it as limiting my ability to out-think, outsmart, interact and ultimately enjoy this amazing game bird.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

ChesterCopperpot

I don't like them (mostly for the reasons you list) so I don't hunt them. I don't like decoys either so I don't hunt them. I prefer it to be just me, a gun, and a call. If I had kids I'd probably hunt differently. If I hunted open fields I'd probably hunt differently. Lots of ways to kill birds. Do it however brings you the most joy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sixes

I enjoy sitting in a blind to deer hunt the edge of an AG field or in the rain or the intersection of roads.

Only time I have used them for turkeys is out in a field with the blind set by a pivot for those stubborn field turkeys.

They have their benefits, I put my Dad in one last year (75 years old and getting immobile) and set up behind him and called in a group of gobblers and he managed to kill 2 that morning. He can't get up or down too good nor walk very far, so me being able to drop him off at the blind and him set in a raised chair allowed him to kill birds again.

It irritates the fire out of me when people want to "outlaw" blinds or decoys and never take into consideration the needs of older folks with slight disabilities that still enjoy hunting and love to see and hear turkeys.

Yoder409

No.

And yes.

I put 2 or 3 blinds out each year.  Two reasons...........

One.......... Kids.  Some are better at sitting still than others.  For the others....... we'll use a blind.

Two...... Crappy weather.  I'll hunt in the rain, no problem.  But not in a steady downpour.  I figure that if the weather sucks.....and that's VERY OFTEN here..... I'd rather be sitting in a blind looking out the window watching it rain than sitting on the couch looking out the window watching it rain. 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Chief Razor

There is nothing better then hunting a gobbler with your back against a tree in the open air. That being said there is nothing worse then sitting out the rain in the truck or the couch during the season. Blinds can be useful, but not my first choice.

lowoctane

Quote from: Chief Razor on April 09, 2022, 10:49:13 AM
There is nothing better then hunting a gobbler with your back against a tree in the open air. That being said there is nothing worse then sitting out the rain in the truck or the couch during the season. Blinds can be useful, but not my first choice.

X2!!! :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Marc

Blinds have their place...

Great for kids, and bow-hunters...  I do not like them, and they would be difficult to use in most of my hunting situations.

I have certainly used nature as a make-shift blind...  Rocks, fallen trees, well-placed brush, etc...  I will always choose a spot behind a fallen log or rock if possible, especially if I can lay my gun over that instead of my knee!
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

ybuck