turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many birds

Started by 2flyfish4, April 03, 2022, 11:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zobo

Looks  awesome!!! You got that bacon just right!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

JohnSouth22

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 27, 2022, 09:12:31 AM
Okay, I will ask the obvious question that comes to my mind about those folks that kill outlandish numbers of turkeys.  What do you do with all those birds? 
Are you utilizing all of the meat of those birds yourself? 
Are you just breasting out those birds rather than keeping all of the edible portions? (if not, that is what we around here call "wanton waste",...and is illegal). 
If you are not consuming all those turkeys yourself, are you making sure that each and every one of them is taken care of and consumed,...and if so, how are you confirming that?
If you are jumping from state to state hunting, explain how you take care of the meat of each of those turkeys such that they do not end up being wasted?  Do you constantly eat turkey? 

Now, I'm not condemning anybody that loves to turkey hunt and travel to different places to do it.  However, doing that  also requires an ethical foundation of ensuring that every one of those turkeys killed is properly cared for and consumed.  If you can't definitively state that that is happening, you need to take a close look in the mirror and contemplate what your real motives are for what you are doing.  There reaches a point where the "I'm a great turkey hunter" attitude becomes nothing more than undisciplined bloodlust. 

Again, that is the view from here....

Every bird harvested is fully utilized and consumed to its maximum extent.  Whether that be eating myself/with the guys im with (eat turkey 3-4 times a week while on road) or when we can't keep up due to a string of good luck we will give it away to gas station workers, restaurant hostess, you name it. and the way they light up to get free multiple pounds of meat to feed their families I can assure you they do not waste it.

Treerooster

Jim, I use all of my bird. Breast, thighs, lower legs, wings (to the first joint) and those 2 pieces of meat on the back of a turkey (not the nuts, on the outside). Plucked a lot of birds whole and had them like the traditional stuffed turkey dinner.

I feed the heart, liver, and gizzard to my dogs. Not using that meat for human consumption is not considered wanton waste, in big game too.

Have used and given away bones and feathers but not from every bird.

If you want more details I can give them to you. There are a bunch of ways to prepare wild turkey so it is good to eat and to waste the meat is a fools errand IMO.

As for trips and keeping the bird in good condition...I do 5 day trips and have a good cooler. I can remember a trip or two where it was really hot and I got one bird early. Just ended the hunt a day early. Pretty rare occurrence tho.

Happy

If I kill a game animal then I am eating it. I may share with guests but I am not killing something I don't intend to use. I do not support killing something just to try and find someone to give it away to.. At that point in my opinion, you are killing something just to kill it and have issues. This rule doesn't apply to predators and nuisance species, although I do like to see them put to some use if possible.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Hobbes

If we can put down a whole elk, a couple deer and some roosters in a season, I don't think a turkey has to worry about being used.  I don't always have the elk, so I could easily put down 20 turkeys in a year if I chose to (if I ever killed remotely close to that number).

I rarely give birds away, but if you're implying that me offering a breast half or two to coworkers or friends is somehow wrong because I can't watch them eat it....I know a few folks that have been the recipients that would argue you.  There is nothing wrong with sharing meat. 

I'm sure there are instances that aren't for the right reasons, but let's don't lump everyone together on meat sharing practices.

Happy

Maybe I didn't convey it correctly Hobbs. I have nothing against sharing with friends and family. Have done it myself and will continue to. What I am referring to is killing game animals knowing full well you are not likely to use it and trying to get rid of it and going and killing some more. Those people in my opinion are just in it for the killing.

Hobbes

Quote from: Happy on April 27, 2022, 03:37:20 PM
Maybe I didn't convey it correctly Hobbs. I have nothing against sharing with friends and family. Have done it myself and will continue to. What I am referring to is killing game animals knowing full well you are not likely to use it and trying to get rid of it and going and killing some more. Those people in my opinion are just in it for the killing.

No worries, I should have full well known that's what you meant.  I'm letting work and aggravation that I'm not chasing turkeys right now spill into everything.  :)

Happy

I am in the same boat as you. My boss just decided to take a vacation and dropped everything on me for the next 10 days.

Treerooster

I agree that not eating what you shoot doesn't set right with me and just leaves my whole experience feeling hollow. Nothing wrong with giving away some meat now and then, but if that is your main goal with the meat you obtain something is wrong.

Last fall I killed a deer and it tested positive for CWD, takes a few weeks to get the results. It was recommended to throw the meat in the garbage, which I did. Turned my stomach to do that.

CowHunter71

I would definitely apply my comment above to this guy.

bigriverbum

would a hunter have any liability if they gave someone game meat and that person cracked a tooth on a bb and needed dental surgery?

Zobo

Quote from: bigriverbum on April 27, 2022, 08:35:46 PM
would a hunter have any liability if they gave someone game meat and that person cracked a tooth on a bb and needed dental surgery?

That's a good question, probably not if he gave the raw product to someone and had no part in its preparation. The taker assumes the risk knowing it was just shot and needs proper cleaning. 
     However, if the hunter prepared the meal and served it cooked with pellets, then maybe.
     Most certainly a restaurant would be liable if they served food with foreign objects embedded. If you chipped your tooth on a bone, a pit or a pearl, someting naturally occurring , no, but a metal foriegn object in a restaurant setting, I'd say yes.
      But even though I did go to law school, I'm no liar, I mean lawyer. :camohat:

Howie g

Had a gathering at my house last spring .  We boiled crawfish for the crowd . One friend that showed up wasn't eating any crawfish .  I asked him why he wasn't eating ?.. he told me he wasn't a fan of crawfish .  I felt bad for my guest . I had a fresh gobbler breast cut up to fry in the fridge, and fried him up a few stripes .  On about his 2nd strip he bit into a tss bb .  Broke his tooth in half !! I felt terrible ! 

GobbleNut

Quote from: Zobo on April 27, 2022, 10:02:49 PM

:TooFunny:  Reminds me of that old question someone asked:
"What do you call three lawyers lying lifeless on the bottom of the ocean?"

..."A good start"...   ;D  :angel9:

Zobo

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 27, 2022, 10:20:15 PM
Quote from: Zobo on April 27, 2022, 10:02:49 PM
:camohat: :camohat:
:camohat:
:TooFunny:  Reminds me of that old question someone asked:
"What do you call three lawyers lying lifeless on the bottom of the ocean?"

..."A good start"...   ;D  :angel9:

No, that's not fair Gobblenut. Not all lawyers are bad people, I know a place where you can always find a good one...the cemetery.  :camohat: