OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many birds

Started by 2flyfish4, April 03, 2022, 11:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2flyfish4

Just curious how many birds do you normally take a season/year?

I normally take 1 or 2, sometimes 3 to 4. This is for the entire spring season and birds could be from multiple states.

I was thinking about this recently. It started with some of the well known turkey social media stars calling people out who fan/reap to harvest birds. I personally have never done it. But I was thinking some of these social media stars kill 20-30+ birds a season as they travel the states obtaining film to put their videos together so they can make money doing what they do. It started to rub me wrong that these guys kill alot of birds, they killed alot of birds last year, and they are already putting plans together to kill alot of birds next year. I believe a dead bird is a dead bird. It doesn't matter if you hit it with the truck, reap it, call it in. At the end of the day its one less bird in the population and one less bird to breed a hen in the future. Its the reality of the sport we partake in, and by no means am I saying we need to turn into bird watchers. I guess what I am saying is what does more harm to the turkey population? A) an average guy going and reaping one or two birds an entire year or B) a select few who can travel the entire US and shoot 20-30+ birds a season year after year.

So I dont want more government involvement than there already is. But do you think there should be a cap on the amount of birds one could take during an entire year? Example being you can shoot the individual state limit of birds but no more than 10 birds in a calander year for the entire U.S.

It's not like anyone is going hungry b/c they didn't come home with a bird. Hell for what I spend chasing turkey and ducks every year I could eat wagu every night for dinner.

This is kind of a stir the pot post, kinda taking a jab back at some of the high and mighty social media stars that are trashing fellow hunters that reap birds.

With that said I am not a fan of reaping birds, I cant stand the disrespect I see on a daily basis that alot of hunters show towards the wild game we hunt. Saw one the other day with a guy driving through star bucks with a dead turkey in the front seat of his truck. I could go on for a while about some of this but I'll leave it at that and look forward to reading everyone comments/thoughts.

762hunter

I was fortunate enough to shoot 3 last year.
2 in W Tn at 2 different farms in different counties and 1 in Nebraska.

I'm not wrapped up on the numbers as much as I am the hunt. Especially considering the decline in birds and explosion in hunter numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: 2flyfish4 on April 03, 2022, 11:03:30 PM
I normally take 1 or 2, sometimes 3 to 4. This is for the entire spring season and birds could be from multiple states.
I was thinking some of these social media stars kill 20-30+ birds a season as they travel the states obtaining film to put their videos together so they can make money doing what they do. It started to rub me wrong that these guys kill alot of birds, they killed alot of birds last year, and they are already putting plans together to kill alot of birds next year.
So I dont want more government involvement than there already is.
Example being you can shoot the individual state limit of birds but no more than 10 birds in a calander year for the entire U.S.
On the annual harvest, I'm like you. Usually 1 to 2, sometimes 3 to 4, and from more than one state.
Unfortunately you'll never change the greed of the social media turkey, or deer, or elk, or bass "stars". Greed and the pursuit of money and fame will never change.
Government is already involved, and always will be. They are already reducing bag limits and increasing license fees everywhere. That is the STATE governments, but to limit the bag limit on a multi-state level would require the FEDERAL government to get involved. Now I don't know about you, but with rare exception the Feds F up EVERYTHING they get involved in. Especially when the Democrats are in power. So the very last thing I want to see is the Feds getting their hands into hunting. Next thing you know, regulations will increase and be confusing, bag limits and seasons will be reduced nationwide, and the amount of licenses you are required to have will go through the roof, along with the costs of them.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

Usually somewhere around 5-7.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

joey46

Jeez!  Turkey's aren't migratory so there is no reason for any federal involvement.  We can be our own worst enemies even discussing something this silly.  I noticed the squirrel population seemed down where I just hunted in central Florida.  Should I feel embarrassed to hunt squirrel this fall in Kentucky?  Of course not.  There really isn't a YouTuber decimating the turkey population behind every bush  :TrainWreck1:

quavers59

Don't Bring This Question Up In New Jersey-LOL! -- Ehh- Limit You Say.
  Personally, I take 3 to 4 Spring Gobblers in New York + New Jersey.

Tom007

joey46

Quote from: Tom007 on April 04, 2022, 05:11:43 AM
:popcorn:

I hope not.  To even suggest some type of maximum national turkey limit is goofy talk.  You may want to spend some time researching why every state will show some type of regulation concerning the common crow.  The big black egg/poult stealing common crow needs no protection but because of some type of international treaty has some. 

turkey_slayer

The guy traveling shooting 20-30 has less impact than the guy that shoots 3+ locally. Not many guys in the country do the former than the latter. The increase in the number of hunters and the number of days one can hunt ( work from home, etc) has a much bigger impact than either one imo. The very rare guy that kills a bunch that are spread out over a 10+ states has very limit impact.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

fallhnt

2020 Rona=0 Spring,Fall 2
'21 Spring 1,Fall 1
2022 Spring not hunting ,Fall ?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Dtrkyman

I have been averaging 8-10.  Last year was down I think I killed 6.

Multiple states, mostly public now.

Killed 13 in my "best" season.  Illinois, Nebraska, Missouri, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana and New Mexico that year.

I like hunting turkeys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: quavers59 on April 04, 2022, 05:08:45 AM
    Don't Bring This Question Up In New Jersey-LOL! -- Ehh- Limit You Say.
  Personally, I take 3 to 4 Spring Gobblers in New York + New Jersey.

3 state hunter, Nj is one of em. Some times Zero. Most times One. I haven taken a bird in Ny or Pa in a while. There were a few years when I had a good year 2 and 3. I have never taken more the 2 in Nj.

Strictly a novice turkey hunter  :funnyturkey:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

GobbleNut

Quote from: 2flyfish4 on April 03, 2022, 11:03:30 PM
Just curious how many birds do you normally take a season/year?

I was thinking about this recently. It started with some of the well known turkey social media stars calling people out who fan/reap to harvest birds. I personally have never done it. But I was thinking some of these social media stars kill 20-30+ birds a season as they travel the states obtaining film to put their videos together so they can make money doing what they do. It started to rub me wrong that these guys kill alot of birds, they killed alot of birds last year, and they are already putting plans together to kill alot of birds next year. I believe a dead bird is a dead bird. It doesn't matter if you hit it with the truck, reap it, call it in. At the end of the day its one less bird in the population and one less bird to breed a hen in the future. Its the reality of the sport we partake in, and by no means am I saying we need to turn into bird watchers. I guess what I am saying is what does more harm to the turkey population? A) an average guy going and reaping one or two birds an entire year or B) a select few who can travel the entire US and shoot 20-30+ birds a season year after year.

So I dont want more government involvement than there already is. But do you think there should be a cap on the amount of birds one could take during an entire year? Example being you can shoot the individual state limit of birds but no more than 10 birds in a calander year for the entire U.S.

It's not like anyone is going hungry b/c they didn't come home with a bird. Hell for what I spend chasing turkey and ducks every year I could eat wagu every night for dinner.

This is kind of a stir the pot post, kinda taking a jab back at some of the high and mighty social media stars that are trashing fellow hunters that reap birds.

With that said I am not a fan of reaping birds, I cant stand the disrespect I see on a daily basis that alot of hunters show towards the wild game we hunt. Saw one the other day with a guy driving through star bucks with a dead turkey in the front seat of his truck. I could go on for a while about some of this but I'll leave it at that and look forward to reading everyone comments/thoughts.

To answer your question, I historically have killed three or four gobblers a spring.  Honestly, if I was a "body counter", I could probably have doubled that number on many occasions.  The personal limitations I set on myself when hunting have saved many a gobbler's life over my own lifetime.  Those limitations include not shooting more than one gobbler at a time (and/or a day), and not taking shots where I know I will kill multiple birds with one shot (where legal).  I have had many opportunities over the decades to do both.  ...Not passing judgement on anybody,...those are just my personal limitations. 

Okay,...got that out of the way.  Now, regarding your post above:  With some modifications, I could very well have written the same, and have made similar comments on the various angles of the subject many times here on OG over the years.  Simply put, there comes a time when every single one of us needs to take a look in the mirror and ask ourselves whether how we approach this thing we all love is a function of our own greed and/or some other less-than-noble attitude about it? 

In my mind, there is a fine line where being a passionate turkey hunter and wanting to do as much of it as we can crosses over and becomes nothing more than greed, selfishness, and/or a need to be recognized by some perceived "fan club".  As has been demonstrated by a number of previous threads here on OG, there is also a fine line where the fellows in that fan club start questioning the motives of those that they may have once looked up to and respected in the turkey hunting world and begin to criticize rather than applaud. 

Again, that is just the view from here....     

Dtrkyman

Good points gobblenut,  only time I have ever doubled was with a bow, never shot or tried to shoot two at once and I'm pretty particular about the shots I take!

I have been very fortunate to spend a lot of time chasing these crazy birds, for myself and hundreds of others,  can't wait for next week!

One spring several years ago I one on one guided  client's for 21 straight days, what did I do the day after, went turkey hunting

Ive got issues!

Zobo

"there is also a fine line where the fellows in that fan club start questioning the motives of those that they may have once looked up to and respected in the turkey hunting world and begin to criticize rather than applaud."
----Good point by GobbleNut

This is what 2flyfish4 has realized and it's commendable. You see the hypocrisy in the youtuber's game hogging. I always say to younger/newer hunters:  Stop watching other people hunt! There is so much garbage out there it could ruin your spirit.
     But to your original point, I see it as a contentment issue that usually looks like bell curve: 
     When you start hunting, shooting a few birds is satisfying. Then in the middle years you what numbers and size. Then in the later years it's about environment, method, and who you're with, not numbers.
     And then, ultimately, you're just happy you can be out there, one of God's gifts, surrounded by nature's beauty, gun in hand, hopeful.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14