OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many birds

Started by 2flyfish4, April 03, 2022, 11:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

"I have concerns with alot of states not being able to adequately track bird harvest numbers. I know slot of great biologist that work for the states and WMA's that would like to see turkey populations managed better, but their hands are tied b/c of state funding or it taking an act of congress to get something changed."

I promise you the Feds will do even worse! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

tazmaniac

More damage to the turkey population is done by those who only shoot one but put nothing back for the flock than those who shoot a limit, but improve habitat and trap nest predators.

Leave the flock better off than you found them.  And you can kill several and still leave them better off.... but its a year round thing, takes a LOT of time and money, and most folks aren't willing to do it.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Howie g

Quote from: tazmaniac on April 05, 2022, 05:46:02 PM
More damage to the turkey population is done by those who only shoot one but put nothing back for the flock than those who shoot a limit, but improve habitat and trap nest predators.

Leave the flock better off than you found them.  And you can kill several and still leave them better off.... but its a year round thing, takes a LOT of time and money, and most folks aren't willing to do it.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
[/quote
100 %    Most take as many as they can , and put nothing back . But will be the lst to complain when numbers are down !]

appalachianassassin

6-10 depending on time and money

Marc

3-bird California limit, and most years I probably kill two looking back...  Just the last 5 seasons I killed 1, 3, 3, 3, 2 (last season).

Last 2 seasons were tough due to covid, and last season, I lost my major turkey hunting property due to a sale.

This season, I have been taking my young daughter, and killed one the only day I did not take her (her choice).  I have access to a small, but good property, and will not take a bird there, until my daughter kills her first.

I'll hunt all day if I have the opportunity...  An eleven year-old girl...  Not so much.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

quavers59

Wonder if former President-- Jimmy Carter got his Georgia  Gobblers already?

Wigsplitter

2-4 is my average year- but sometimes they show me who is the boss!!!????

TauntoHawk

Too few, but at the same time plenty

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

dzsmith

3-5 depends on if it's a shutdown year at my job. And depends on if I limit out in my home state which I do on most years. I am seriously considering no longer attempting to limit out in my home state. One .... I don't need to and I feel the state is probably gonna alter the bag limit soon anyway , and 2 I would like to finish out my southern slam by attending some other states close to their openers verses spending all my time at home .
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Kansan

Usually one or none. Never more than two. I only hunt in Kansas.

nebgoosehunter

I'll buy the maximum three tags per year in Nebraska.  I don't hunt any other states.  I have been blessed to be able to fill all the tags the last several years.  I don't take more than one turkey personally off the same property, but others with me such as my dad, or a buddy can.  The populations on the properties I hunt remain strong, unlike a lot of other areas of the state, so I don't feel guilty taking three a year.  If the state decides to lower tags from three to two for the spring, I'll be bummed, but I get it on a statewide level.  It just means less time in the turkey woods is all.

Turkeyman

Well, I've killed multiple birds a number of years...the most being 13 one spring...the spring whereas after I retired in February. I didn't particularly care for it. It seemed I was always in a hurry to get a bird in one state so I could head for the other. But then, I'm not an internet YouTuber with a channel to promote and make potential money with subscriptions or such. Anymore my personal goal is to just get a bird(s) in whatever spring state(s) I choose to hunt.

MK M GOBL

I'd have 2 answers, the number I kill and the number I call to a kill. More birds die in front of me than I ever squeeze a trigger on. I do Learn to Hunts, Youth Hunts, Charity Hunts and then with other friends. My best year ever would have been 25, ended at 21 because of some others with me missing birds... Always want them to use my turkey gun, but some don't. I killed 8 in 4 states that year and then 13 (should have been 17) more died in front of me, on an average year 12-15 total.

MK M GOBL

CowHunter71

It has been my experience that those who feel the necessity to post numbers, are usually full of sh#t ;)

High plains drifter

Generally 2 in spring,  1 or 2 in fall. 2 states.