OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many birds

Started by 2flyfish4, April 03, 2022, 11:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High plains drifter

Quote from: CowHunter71 on April 15, 2022, 10:11:59 PM
It has been my experience that those who feel the necessity to post numbers, are usually full of sh#t ;)exactly. That last post was bs.

High plains drifter

One year I got 3 spring gobblers. I suppose I average 2 per year. The most I've ever gotten is 5 birds, in multiple states in a year.I hunted them in the fall.Im putting a thumbs down on these greasers who shoot more than 3 or 4 per season. That is greed, and a karma episode will get them.

Kygobblergetter

I probably average 5 or 6 a year the last several. I can't remember the last time I killed less than 5 but the most I have ever killed in a year was 7. I travel a lot to hunt when I'm off work and that's usually spread over 4 states or so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Quote from: High plains drifter on April 19, 2022, 01:45:38 PM
One year I got 3 spring gobblers. I suppose I average 2 per year. The most I've ever gotten is 5 birds, in multiple states in a year.I hunted them in the fall.Im putting a thumbs down on these greasers who shoot more than 3 or 4 per season. That is greed, and a karma episode will get them.

This brings up a question to ponder:  How many gobblers is too many? 
I'm not sure my max number for anybody would be four, but I also agree that there reaches a point where passion to turkey hunt can boil over into greed.  I'm just not sure I can put a finger on exactly where that point is, personally.   I do believe it is out there,...I'm just not sure how we identify it...   ??? ::) :)

quavers59

Gobblenut-- Don't  bring this question  up in New Jersey. I personally  think the NJ Limit on Gobblers should be 3 to 5 Max.  5-- is alot of Gobblers for 1 State. Taking anymore in 1 State is just Greed.  Yet some do it annually  and the numbers grow each Spring.

High plains drifter

Quote from: quavers59 on April 19, 2022, 03:32:17 PM
  Gobblenut-- Don't  bring this question  up in New Jersey. I personally  think the NJ Limit on Gobblers should be 3 to 5 Max.  5-- is alot of Gobblers for 1 State. Taking anymore in 1 State is just Greed.  Yet some do it annually  and the numbers grow each Spring.

I agree.No more than 4 per year total, no matter how many states..Montana,  and wyoming do not have huge turkey numbers.

OJR

Several years ago I harvested 7 one spring. That was among 5 states. In a typical year 2-4, depending on how much I get to hunt. So far this year, 2. Should be at least one more, but I got schooled. Have one more four day hunt scheduled this year.

Crghss

Ask me after I retire in a couple of years.....l plan to travel, hunting & fishing!
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Howie g

soILstrutter

I usually kill one or two in Illinois every year. Never on the same property or even same county. In my weekend hunting as a school teacher and coach, I just try to get out as much as possible. I consider my season a success if I can have a handful of good battles every year, even if that means Tom coming out on top!

quavers59

More Mature Turkeys ,I am seeing in my areas this Spring. Less Jake Gangs.

JohnSouth22

I was fortunate enough to harvest 20 birds last season between 10 states, none were reaped and 2 were with decoys. I do not film hunts or anything like that so who tf are you to purpose more government regulations on those like me that simply get the opportunity to hunt more than you? Seems that these motives are entirely out of jealousy disguised as being worried for the population. I have as much influence on the bird population as any other hunter of that state taking 1-2 birds on average per state. So to even begin to think that the traveling hunters are a major factor in bird populations is ignorant at best. Not to mention the price for licenses for out of state hunters that should in theory go back to the resource is often 5-6x what a local hunters is when we pull the same amount of birds as they do.

High plains drifter

Thumbs down on this person.

GobbleNut

Okay, I will ask the obvious question that comes to my mind about those folks that kill outlandish numbers of turkeys.  What do you do with all those birds? 
Are you utilizing all of the meat of those birds yourself? 
Are you just breasting out those birds rather than keeping all of the edible portions? (if not, that is what we around here call "wanton waste",...and is illegal). 
If you are not consuming all those turkeys yourself, are you making sure that each and every one of them is taken care of and consumed,...and if so, how are you confirming that?
If you are jumping from state to state hunting, explain how you take care of the meat of each of those turkeys such that they do not end up being wasted?  Do you constantly eat turkey? 

Now, I'm not condemning anybody that loves to turkey hunt and travel to different places to do it.  However, doing that  also requires an ethical foundation of ensuring that every one of those turkeys killed is properly cared for and consumed.  If you can't definitively state that that is happening, you need to take a close look in the mirror and contemplate what your real motives are for what you are doing.  There reaches a point where the "I'm a great turkey hunter" attitude becomes nothing more than undisciplined bloodlust. 

Again, that is the view from here....

MK M GOBL

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 27, 2022, 09:12:31 AM
Okay, I will ask the obvious question that comes to my mind about those folks that kill outlandish numbers of turkeys.  What do you do with all those birds? 
Are you utilizing all of the meat of those birds yourself? 
Are you just breasting out those birds rather than keeping all of the edible portions? (if not, that is what we around here call "wanton waste",...and is illegal). 
If you are not consuming all those turkeys yourself, are you making sure that each and every one of them is taken care of and consumed,...and if so, how are you confirming that?
If you are jumping from state to state hunting, explain how you take care of the meat of each of those turkeys such that they do not end up being wasted?  Do you constantly eat turkey? 

Now, I'm not condemning anybody that loves to turkey hunt and travel to different places to do it.  However, doing that  also requires an ethical foundation of ensuring that every one of those turkeys killed is properly cared for and consumed.  If you can't definitively state that that is happening, you need to take a close look in the mirror and contemplate what your real motives are for what you are doing.  There reaches a point where the "I'm a great turkey hunter" attitude becomes nothing more than undisciplined bloodlust. 

Again, that is the view from here....

Hey GobbleNut,

In my case most of those birds are other people's tags that they fill when they're with me hunting.

Looked at my "Pre-Covid Year" and put 14 birds down, 6 of those were mine and 8 with others.

The first a Learn to Hunt / That was part of a Chairity Fundraiser Hunt for the Badger Camp #1 & #2

Then our Youth Season I had 3 girls out that weekend and are daughters of my friends. #3, #4, #5

Next was my friend Jen and her 1st Season Bow Bird. #6

I called a bird in for another friend Tad 1 15/16" Spurred Gobbler!! #7

Traveled to another friends farm and he and I doubled up. #8

Then there are the 6 I killed that year.

I "use" most every part of my turkeys!

Yes I do eat a lot of turkey, legs are either made into BBQ "pulled" turkey or I have a friend who makes up Turkey Sausage Sticks

My breasts are smoked, seasoned and bacon wrapped. Grilled and seasoned, or cut up batter dipped and deep fried. Always trying new recipes, this years will be Turkey Smash Burgers

Turkey Tenderloins are on the grill!!

I do also grind up some turkey, add some bacon and package for bbq's, taco, burgers, meat balls (mixed in with venison)

My neighbor loves the heart and gizzard, he gets all of those and I keep hunting his place.

Then of course there is my display/decoy work, I keep all the heads, fans, wings, beards and spurs. I also work out some deals with friends on their turkey parts in trade for display work I do with them.

I keep some feathers for a friend who trout/fly fishes that he wants hackle for.

I lady friend of mine is a traditional archery and she wants any primaries I don't use on displays or decoys and she gets all my secondaries

The I have 2 guys making wing bone calls that I save the Humerus, Ulna & Radius for.

(This year has been rough for me, was plagued with misses & mess ups... Getting better though I tagged my 1st tag have 3 down for the year, should/could have been 7 as of today but that's how some seasons go...)

MK M GOBL