Main Menu

How many birds

Started by 2flyfish4, April 03, 2022, 11:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muzzy61

Over the last few years I average 1.5
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

g8rvet

OP has a lot of questions/topics within that thread.

Federal limit?  Heck no.  No way, no how.  The genie that would let out of the bottle would be enormous and far reaching.  It would by necessity involve a Federal turkey stamp to raise money for law enforcement like the waterfowl stamp does.  It would require all states have a check in system and would make travel more difficult.  Adding more laws to a state bird would be terrible.  What works in Florida may not work in Wyoming and vice versa. 

I tend to bounce around from public to private.  Some of the private tracts I hunt are small and once I have (or someone with me) reached my self imposed limit, I move on.  I don't travel to turkey hunt, so 2 per year is my max anyways.

It is up to each state to figure their harvest and for every Youtuber out there, there are plenty of non-youtubers that do the same.  If the resource can handle it and the hunter wants to spend the $$ and the time, have at it.  The state makes their limits based on hunter harvest and license sales, so it is what it is.  The best thing for a state is if they don't have a unique subspecies-like a relatively small area Osceola which sees large pressure from out of staters. Florida is tasked with handling that and not the feds.  It sucks for those from South Florida as they have lots of out of state competition for a limited amount of land. 

Reaping is silly and I will never do it.  Not for harvest or bird number reason, but because it is outside of my personal code of ethics.  I am not much of one to judge what others do (as long as they are legal). 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Yoder409

Depends on the year.  I've never hunted more than 3 states in one year, yet.  Work has a way of cramping a guy's turkey hunting schedule.

Generally, I shoot between 2 and 5 in a year.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Tail Feathers

On a good year two or three.  Some years I got to four with travel and all.  I'm thankful for every one of 'em.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Chad Gus715

I've never been one who needed, or wanted, to kill big numbers of anything. Deer, turkey, waterfowl, etc, one or two and I'm perfectly happy with that. 2 a year here in Wisconsin and every so often i do an out of state trip and kill one there. Most years,  i could without much of a problem, kill double digit number of turkey's, around home.

wvboy

I avg 4 or 5 usually for myself.. and call a few more in for others.. I usually hunt 3 to 4 states a year..

That said.. I don't wish to limit anyone.. if it's legal and you have the time and money to do it.. go kill all you can.. I leave it up to each state to set the limits.. I personally am not a good enough hunter to kill as many as 20 to 30 a year.. I know my limitations.. guys like Pinhoti kill that many for a reason.. they are flat out better than me.. if I hunted the same amount as him in as many states and on public land.. I wouldn't come close to his kill numbers.. that dude is a flat out turkey killer.. good for him.. I wish I was that good.. I think some guys are just jealous cause he is that good..

I don't know the man.. but have seen a lot of post on social media that he is a lot different than what he portrays in his videos.. he preaches public land courtesy, but in reality practices something else .. I have seen from more than one person on social media.. I have no idea.. and everyone can have there own opinion.. all I know is that guy can flat out hunt and kills more turkeys than I can ever dream of..
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

quavers59

I don't  think anyone here has a problem  with anyone killing 10+ Gobblers in 3 or 4 States.
   It is a problem  when 10+ Gobblers are killed in 1 State by the same Guy.

Happy

I am way more concerned with being able to hunt the entire season than I am on tagging out. If I kill a couple, I am good. I have plenty of people to help out so I can pace myself on my personal tags and make a season out of it. And if I eat a tag or two then so be it. It ain't a numbers game to me. Just hunting them is enough. Besides I have to hold down a job while I do it and people start getting excited if I take too much time off.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Mossyguy

Our limit in Mississippi is 3 and it's rare that I tag out. My dad and I average two a year. We just don't have huge numbers of birds where we hunt and we always try to leave 2 gobblers each season.

Each state should be left responsible for setting their limits using certain information- especially input from resident hunters. 

Tomfoolery

Hobbes

Did you just propose a federal limit on turkeys while defending "reaping"? 

Federal limit?????  The feds have no jurisdiction over state owned wildlife.  They pulled it off with waterfowl because they migrate north to south across the country. 

2flyfish4

Quote from: Hobbes on April 04, 2022, 08:00:40 PM
Did you just propose a federal limit on turkeys while defending "reaping"? 

Federal limit?????  The feds have no jurisdiction over state owned wildlife.  They pulled it off with waterfowl because they migrate north to south across the country.

Ya I suppose I did. Not so much that I recommend a federal limit and not so much that I think reaping is ethical. My post was mostly about everyone's  S stinks. Most probably think reaping as unethical, most probably think shooting 20-30 turkey a year is greed (or some other number, could 10, 12, 15).

Legal or not is sometimes irrelevant.

Hobbes

The number of folks killing 20 to 30 turkeys is not very high.  Any YouTube heros that I've seen are videoing multiple folks shooting birds to produce 20 to 30 videos, not killing 30 birds on their own.

2flyfish4

Quote from: wvboy on April 04, 2022, 04:53:11 PM
I avg 4 or 5 usually for myself.. and call a few more in for others.. I usually hunt 3 to 4 states a year..

That said.. I don't wish to limit anyone.. if it's legal and you have the time and money to do it.. go kill all you can.. I leave it up to each state to set the limits.. I personally am not a good enough hunter to kill as many as 20 to 30 a year.. I know my limitations.. guys like Pinhoti kill that many for a reason.. they are flat out better than me.. if I hunted the same amount as him in as many states and on public land.. I wouldn't come close to his kill numbers.. that dude is a flat out turkey killer.. good for him.. I wish I was that good.. I think some guys are just jealous cause he is that good..

I don't know the man.. but have seen a lot of post on social media that he is a lot different than what he portrays in his videos.. he preaches public land courtesy, but in reality practices something else .. I have seen from more than one person on social media.. I have no idea.. and everyone can have there own opinion.. all I know is that guy can flat out hunt and kills more turkeys than I can ever dream of..

The beauty of social media, you can create the world that best suits you. Again, everyone S stinks. And yes even mine does.

2flyfish4

Quote from: g8rvet on April 04, 2022, 01:02:23 PM
OP has a lot of questions/topics within that thread.

Federal limit?  Heck no.  No way, no how.  The genie that would let out of the bottle would be enormous and far reaching.  It would by necessity involve a Federal turkey stamp to raise money for law enforcement like the waterfowl stamp does.  It would require all states have a check in system and would make travel more difficult.  Adding more laws to a state bird would be terrible.  What works in Florida may not work in Wyoming and vice versa. 

I tend to bounce around from public to private.  Some of the private tracts I hunt are small and once I have (or someone with me) reached my self imposed limit, I move on.  I don't travel to turkey hunt, so 2 per year is my max anyways.

It is up to each state to figure their harvest and for every Youtuber out there, there are plenty of non-youtubers that do the same.  If the resource can handle it and the hunter wants to spend the $$ and the time, have at it.  The state makes their limits based on hunter harvest and license sales, so it is what it is.  The best thing for a state is if they don't have a unique subspecies-like a relatively small area Osceola which sees large pressure from out of staters. Florida is tasked with handling that and not the feds.  It sucks for those from South Florida as they have lots of out of state competition for a limited amount of land. 

Reaping is silly and I will never do it.  Not for harvest or bird number reason, but because it is outside of my personal code of ethics.  I am not much of one to judge what others do (as long as they are legal).
[/quote

I have concerns with alot of states not being able to adequately track bird harvest numbers. I know slot of great biologist that work for the states and WMA's that would like to see turkey populations managed better, but their hands are tied b/c of state funding or it taking an act of congress to get something changed.