turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Social media lazyness

Started by Spitten and drummen, March 08, 2022, 05:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

Just a quick post to point out something that just makes me shake my head and say wow. People jump on facebook and internet forums asking is such and such place a good place to turkey hunt or can someone point me in a direction in such and such place where I can get on birds. It amazes me that people ask this question and what amazes me more are the few people who divulge the information. Im not greedy with my hunting but I close guard my secretes of bird locations or areas that hold birds mainly because I put the work , effort , time and money into finding my own areas. Its like people want you to do all the work and then give them the info. When you point this out to them , they are offended. Blows my mind. If you want to know if birds are there , put your boots on the ground and find out yourself. Google locations and get to work. Quit asking for information and find it for yourself. Sorry , just had to rant a little.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Tom007

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 08, 2022, 05:36:11 PM
Just a quick post to point out something that just makes me shake my head and say wow. People jump on facebook and internet forums asking is such and such place a good place to turkey hunt or can someone point me in a direction in such and such place where I can get on birds. It amazes me that people ask this question and what amazes me more are the few people who divulge the information. Im not greedy with my hunting but I close guard my secretes of bird locations or areas that hold birds mainly because I put the work , effort , time and money into finding my own areas. Its like people want you to do all the work and then give them the info. When you point this out to them , they are offended. Blows my mind. If you want to know if birds are there , put your boots on the ground and find out yourself. Google locations and get to work. Quit asking for information and find it for yourself. Sorry , just had to rant a little.

X2, I got burned being Mr. nice guy. The only person that knows where I hunt is my wife. I took her to my spots and showed her where I will be parked in case something happens to me. When we visited all my honey-holes and got home, she said"Can I remove the blindfold now". 

:funnyturkey:
"Solo hunter"

aclawrence

The people that give info away on Facebook are complete nincompoops! I usually respond and say "nobody answer this question". For the most part these post get the silence treatment or misinformation. But there's always some self righteous person that condemns everyone for being tight lipped and just post it up for everyone on the internet to see. I don't know the measure of the effects of these post but I feel like it's not good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RED NECK

I never ever give my honey holes away to anybody,not fishing,not hunting, ever. If they want to hunt and fish they can get off their backside and put some effort into it. I was taught that as a kid,never tell anybody a thing about your spots.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Greg Massey

I tell them sometimes the best place to find a turkey is in the grocery store ... Location isle 4 ... northeast on onx hunting app...  :TooFunny:

strum

I have some great places to hunt if you want to know where they are all you have to do is (see more)

Bowguy

Brother imo most guys that give away spot information don't really have great information anyhow. Who, if really experienced and if they had even just a tad more brains than Biden, which ain't hard to do, would divulge this? Think about that? No one is that stupid. Trying pretty hard to act like they know something they don't is all there is to it. The poor fools that believe them are in for company anyhow.
Don't sweat it.

Spitten and drummen

All I know is when I starred hunting turkeys in the late 70s , you told no one anything. The old timers taught me this. When I was 13 hunting some public land , I had found a good gobbling bird. I was not experienced and was self taught. I fooled with him on a Saturday and sunday and could not kill him. I qas waiting on my dad at the beginning of an old logging when a guy pulled up. He was from Arkansas and he asked me if I had any luck. I told him no but I had a bird I had been fooling with. I was exited telling him about my encounter. The following Saturday I was where I had worked the bird the previous weekend at daylight waiting on the bird to gobble but he never did. I eased into the creekbottom to a tree I had set up at the previous weekend. I sat down against the tree and looked down. A fresh12 gauge hull with a feather stuck in it told me all I needed to know. I learned a lifelong lesson right then and there.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Bowguy on March 08, 2022, 05:56:04 PM
Brother imo most guys that give away spot information don't really have great information anyhow. Who, if really experienced and if they had even just a tad more brains than Biden, which ain't hard to do, would divulge this? Think about that? No one is that stupid. Trying pretty hard to act like they know something they don't is all there is to it. The poor fools that believe them are in for company anyhow.
Don't sweat it.

I agree with what you are saying. Most seasoned turkey hunters will lie to them or just keep quiet. Newer guys havent figured it out yet.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Happy

Had a flat brimming, bearded, bedazzled jean, wanna be bust in on a meeting with one of my guys and invite himself to turkey hunt with me a few weeks ago. Strike 1.He then went on to explain he was on a mission to get to to "49". Strike 2. He then explained the only turkey he killed last year was behind a fan. Strike three. He then proceeded to brag about some turkey he killed that was in the record books and started dropping names of popular hunters like he was their best friend. Strike 4. I told him I didn't have time to talk at the moment but to catch me later. A few days later he asked "so are you gonna show me some good spots to hunt this spring?" My response was "Helen wait schedules my turkey hunts so if you are wanting to get a day scheduled you can go to Helen wait."
I have no problem helping the honest, hardworking guy who meets you in the middle and is willing to work, but the majority of 'em anymore i can do without. So thankful this is the only social media I partake in.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

ferocious calls

If guys want me to call for them we go to their spot. Never facebooked. Glad to help others if they have a spot. I take friends to my spots knowing they won't be back unless I take them.

El Pavo Grande

We get lambasted for being critical of YouTubers.  This is no different.  Welcome to the new age of turkey hunting.  It's a social media dominated culture now. 

OldSwamper

Told my fishing buddy same thing.  Just because we catch some fish doesn't mean we share where, just share we had a good trip

g8rvet

Odd to see this post tonight as I had some memories brought up while out to dinner this evening.  Young man came up to me and we caught up, talked about turkey, duck and fishing.  He is a grown man now, but years ago, I had a gobbling bird that I had fooled with and he was still blanked for the season (his dad too and he was a good hunter, just bad luck I reckon). I told his dad everything he needed to know about the bird and where he was roosted and how he left.  They killed him the next morning.  I never told the young'un where his daddy got the info, but the dad thanked me profusely. 

THAT is the only way I give out any info.  I also killed my final bird of the year the next weekend when I took my pick of 4 birds that came in to my calls.  I don't believe in karma, but I do believe the good Lord rewarded me.

Info on Facebook?  Not a chance. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

guesswho

I tell people every year on about a weekly basis during season where birds are.   But most people who know me know to use a .5 multiplier with my intel. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff