OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Social media lazyness

Started by Spitten and drummen, March 08, 2022, 05:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan_Wiles

I'm just too dang ornery to ask I guess, I'd rather get shut out than have to get that kind of help. I don't mind giving turkeys and sharing intel with other like minded hunters but ill be danged if I'm giving turkeys away to those who put in no effort outside thier keyboards.
It's cool if we hunt "your" turkeys together and rest assured I'll be working hard to return that favor putting some of "my" turkeys in front of you. I also won't set foot on ground you hunt without you, I expect the same courtesy and respect.
Hard headed and stuck in my ways I guess but when I wrap my hand around that Tom's feet I wanna feel good about it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

crow

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 08, 2022, 06:03:28 PM
All I know is when I starred hunting turkeys in the late 70s , you told no one anything. The old timers taught me this. When I was 13 hunting some public land , I had found a good gobbling bird. I was not experienced and was self taught. I fooled with him on a Saturday and sunday and could not kill him. I qas waiting on my dad at the beginning of an old logging when a guy pulled up. He was from Arkansas and he asked me if I had any luck. I told him no but I had a bird I had been fooling with. I was exited telling him about my encounter. The following Saturday I was where I had worked the bird the previous weekend at daylight waiting on the bird to gobble but he never did. I eased into the creekbottom to a tree I had set up at the previous weekend. I sat down against the tree and looked down. A fresh12 gauge hull with a feather stuck in it told me all I needed to know. I learned a lifelong lesson right then and there.

Never trust a guy from Arkansas

Howie g

I'm proud to say I've helped many folks on the whearabouts of a gobblin turkey .
But on social media for everyone and there mamas to see ?   No thanks ...

Tail Feathers

I'm the guy who picks up all the feathers and obliterates signs of a kill site.  I've been known to obliterate tracks when scouting too.
I hunt private land at home, and I still don't talk much about the spots.  It wouldn't be hard for anyone to find 'em if they took some time to scout.
Hunting public, I'll keep my secrets.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

TurkeyReaper69

This past season, I spent 2 days in Colorado without hearing a gobble. The spot I hunted was recommended by a friend who had hunted it a few years prior and mentioned the hunting was exceptional. The spot was one of the biggest cluster f**k's I'd ever seen. Horseback riders, hikers, dirt bikers, 4 wheelers, hippies, pot smokers, shed hunters, and yes turkey hunters were there. I left due to how horrible of a experience I had just had, in addition to the fact the spring season was winding down I headed for greener pastures with gobbling turkeys. As I was putting Colorado in the rear view the same friend (who'd referred me to the area) sent me a screenshot of a post in a Facebook group where a guy posted THE EXACT SPOT I was at, not the WMA or NF name. The exact spot, down to the creek that flows by and a distinct landmark. I had a conniption, no wonder there were hunters everywhere and not a gobbling bird in the county when you have folks blasting specific spots all over the internet. Absolutely drives me crazy, I am not against helping friends out. Hell if your feeling nice send a fellow a PM, but for the love of God don't post it all over the internet.

Gooserbat

Never believe any thing I say except sit still, don't over call and judge a turkey vest by the butt cushion.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Kygobblergetter

I share info with a few. Those few usually aren't posting asking for information and anybody I meet hunting them same property as me should consider me an outright liar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eggshell

When I worked for DNR and ran a check station I had people every day in turkey season and before coming in and asking for tips. I would hand them a map of the public land and say study that. They'd always ask for more info and even if I'd mark some spots. I'd tell them I won't do that because it will just pile people in a few areas. I would tell them scouting was a part of turkey hunting fun, go get after it. I had a few get mad and demand info because "I pay your salary". I'd just say thank you, but now it's time for you to leave. All they had to do was go scout, this public land had birds in every area.

Boykin Hollow

The ONLY person I tell what I heard or almost killed is my brother and he lives 70 miles away and we never hunt together.  Two different styles. of hunting.  tom007 I loved your response.

Bowguy

Guys here's another idea, being we know so many just read along to scout, when someone asks just tell them where your ex wife's new husband or someone like that hunts? Give yourself a chuckle when you drive past his spot and see all this trucks and guys in vests w funky chickens in back headed for him

gjs4

If preface a location with the disclaimer of "don't tell anyone".... You might as well have told everyone and begged them to be there.

People too lasts to wear a pair of boots out in a lifetime all have diarrhea of confidentials when talking about how hunts never go their way. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eggshell

now that I am retired I just answer any request for spot tips with a standard answer of, "I don't share specific information with people outside my inner circle, I been burnt too many times. I hope you understand, but I can't help you, good luck scouting". Some understand and some get offended, but I leave it at that and walk away. 95% understand

dublelung

Quote from: Howie g on March 08, 2022, 09:51:28 PM
I'm proud to say I've helped many folks on the whearabouts of a gobblin turkey .
But on social media for everyone and there mamas to see ?   No thanks ...

:z-winnersmiley:

quavers59

When asked,I give out false information that sounds like the real thing. Do it with a Straight face. Fooled plenty of Novices AND Veterans.
  Learned that from reading Turkey Hunting Digest by Crusty+ Short Tempered Dwain Blain.
    My Best spots- only 1 other person knows about. All Public too- Mountains,Wetlands,Swamps- all the spots where even Lazy Veterans won't go.
  But,I am most happy in sending someone to a Hot Field where everybody and their Brother are.

Old Gobbler

We used to hide our truck in a thick azz palmetto bush and cover the back  it with palmetto fronds ..no joke ,. Then we would borrow another buddies truck to go to the check station to get birds checked out ...then I used to resort to using my wife's Toyota tercel to hunt out of ...this was what we did because people knew what truck I was driving ,..

Then I see couch potatoes doing all Thier scouting on Facebook , I'm straight amazed people are foolish enough to throw them handouts ..

If a person is soo lazy that they can't even bother to scout , the sooner they quit turkey hunting , the better it is for the rest of us as a group whole
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon